Armed Robbery of a Yogurt Shop

This is a discussion on Armed Robbery of a Yogurt Shop within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is the article: 6ABC Yogurt Shop Robbed Video From the story Police say the man walked up to the counter and pulled out a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Armed Robbery of a Yogurt Shop

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Here is the article: 6ABC Yogurt Shop Robbed Video

From the story
    Police say the man walked up to the counter and pulled out a gun, resembling an MP5, out of a computer bag.
    Not being a criminal I am not sure; but, if I had an MP5, and I were a criminal I think I would hit a more lucrative target.

But, for arguments sake, watch the video and put yourself in place of the man with the kid: how do you react?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Standing in/entrance to a fatal funnel I'm not making myself anymore of a target, hide my daughter and get out ASAP call 911. Only difference would have been kid under one arm and gun in other hand should he return before I'm out. Maybe taking cover at the end of the counter there, couldn't tell if there was a gap there or not to hide behind.

Surprised the manager hung around and didn't bolt with the coworkers.

I'm betting at best it was a GSG-5 but more likely an airsoft replica.

Glock Certified Armorer

I can't say that I would have done it any differently than he did. The robber was pretty much right on them by the time he got the firearm out of the laptop bag and he was facing their direction. My main concern would be to not complicate the situation because of my child but I would have definitely drawn my gun as the guy turned his back on me and I made my exit.

I think getting my child out would have been number one priority. Would I have remembered to pull my weapon? Maybe. I would have liked to known what the BG said to them when he walked in and if the staff that ran past the manager even bothered warning her that the BG was coming.
    I would have found it almost comical had the BG gotten to the backroom only to find it empty, AS LONG AS NO ONE GOT HURT.

If you have keen situational awareness, and train to respond to any encounter with little or no warning, you might have noticed:

1) It is the middle of summer with a major heatwave covering the entire United States.

2) Everyone in the place is wearing shorts. (Confirmation of the above statement)

3) A man comes in with a zipped up hoody with the hood pulled tight around his face, and wearing dark sunglasses.

What's wrong with this picture?

You may have the time to draw before, or at least as he was bringing his gun into play, (if you are paying attention).

You would be banking on the fact that he likely would not expect an armed response immediately as he was pulling his weapon out. That would be a significant element of surprise in your favor.

However, I can't say that I would have done anything differently than the man with the small child did. And that is make a bee line out the door, as soon as the robber followed the employee's into a different room.

If I had noticed all this, and I did draw... I guarantee I would have been the first one shooting. I would have lit him up as soon as I saw what he had was in fact a gun. No warning, no verbal challenge.

It would have been sad if it had turned out to be a teenager with an airsoft gun, but I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it.

The type of weapon he possessed (if real), would dictate a fast and furious response with as many rounds as it took to put him down before he had a chance to unleash his hi-capacity semi-auto or full-auto, sub-gun on innocent people.
    oakchas, OD* and SigHawk like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't have a kid,but I like frozen yogurt,Robbers situational awareness was almost 0,when he walked back out of the back room anybody behind the wall could have zapped him before he knew what hit him.
    Too bad there wasn't any sound,It looks like the employees boogied right past the manager without saying anything.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In the same situation, you take the kid and run...call 911 when you're safely away.
    8th ID and Tzadik like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In the same situation, you take the kid and run...call 911 when you're safely away.
    I agree with that 100%.

Since I don't have any small kids, I neglected to put myself in the situation along with a small child.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This is a tough one. Especially being the type of weapon. Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more I agree that it was probably a replica airsoft gun. For his age, it would make sense that he would have that, rather than the real thing. I mean, where would a young kid acquire a real weapon like that? But that is not something I would have thought about at the time. A the time, I would have considered it to be a real weapon. And when somebody brings in an automatic weapon like that, I would consider them a few notches higher on the threat-o-meter than a regular thug with a gun. Being that I do take my daughter to establishments like that, I can certainly see myself in that position. Obviously, I would not want to draw attention to myself by pulling my gun out, being that my daughter might get shot. I guess I would have probably reacted just like the man did in the video, assuming no shots were being fired. Had I been alone, I might have started emptying my magazine on him.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Judging by the video he's walking in immediately as it starts, notice the little girl and a couple employees looking at the door. They don't start reacting to the "MP5" until about 5 seconds in. With OK weather the way it has been, 112 degrees yesterday, anyone coming in in black pants and a zipped up black hoodie with the hood up is going to put me on immediate high alert. As soon as I saw him at the door my hand would be on my gun. Call that a second and a half. I have 3.5 seconds now to decide if I really want to shoot this person before it gets to the point he can waste me. The way I see it there are two chances to shoot. As he draws the "weapon" from his bag, and as he clears the girl out from behind the counter. He walks behind the counter completely ignoring the customer and little girl.

As for me, I don't have a little girl. Like I said I'm on high alert as soon as that guy walks in, when he starts reaching into that bag I'm drawing down on him. If he doesn't hit the ground immediately he's toast. If I did have a girl like in the video, maybe I would wait, maybe I wouldn't. Hard to say for sure, a lot of it would depend on where he pointed that gun of his. I can just about tell you for sure I'd capitalize on the opportunity presented as the BG walks behind the counter. He's not paying any attention at all to the customers and can't see below the counter level. With the dad crouching it'd be easy to draw, then quick to stand and nail him in the back as he passed.

I agree about it probably being an airsoft gun, but nevertheless there'd be a dead BG or a dead me at the end of that video.
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The father with the child did the right thing. If I were there with my little girl, and the BG got the drop, I would have done the same thing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

No kids for good reason dont need them slowing me down for my escape :LOL: (Jokering)
    Honestly nothing to do but get out and call cops if your aware and pull your gun and it happens to be real then you run the risk of a smg vs pistol. Not too rare to wear a hoody in hot weather I prefer to wear a hoodie I have that I removed the sleeves on and my KD's.

I also dont think they warned the supervisor/manager maybe she had been mean to them recently?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Get out as fast as possible!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Drop the scoop and give me all the Cherry Garcia that you have or I cap a bullet on yo' ass sucka!!!!!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

This one puzzles me. I am honestly at a loss. Since I want to prepare myself for anything that can happen I am curious why some of you say you wouldn't have drawn and fired? The BG seemed to ignore the man and child, and when he went in the back I have the opportunity to set up to ambush him when he comes back through. I dunno, that is a tough one.

Let's say I do shoot him and he dies and he is a kid with a "fake gun". Am I on the stand for murder? (even though state law says I can use my gun to stop a robbery?) And what if it is real and he ends up killing one of the clerks and I took off, how do I sleep then?
    Freedom Doc likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links