Increase in senior citizens buying guns for safety

This is a discussion on Increase in senior citizens buying guns for safety within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...s-for-security Not sure how they pick the people they interview.... But IMO Bonita Jones hasn't a clue....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Increase in senior citizens buying guns for safety

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

Increase in senior citizens buying guns for safety

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...s-for-security

Not sure how they pick the people they interview.... But IMO Bonita Jones hasn't a clue.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Remove Ads

Bonita Jones said if a senior citizen feels unsafe living alone, they should move in with family or find a nursing home.
    Bonita Jones needs to move into a nursing home. Anyone that stupid needs care and supervision.

My carry class had quite a few people my age and older. It really isn't that surprising. The punks in society prey on those that they think are weaker and can't fight them off. A gun and proper training gives a 90 year old woman the ability to stop a 285 lb lineman in his tracks.

I am glad that the elderly are arming themselves. There have been several post in the last few months about the elderly being targeted by the BG. Maybe it was how I (and I imagine most of you as well) was raised to help not harm my elders.

One of the local gun shop owners told me a couple of years ago that right after Obama got elected, they had a tremendous influx of first time gun owners, and elderly individuals--both male and female, come in to buy firearms and sign up for classes. Obama and the democrats did a fantastic job of increasing gun sales!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Today's political climate seems to view seniors as an unnecessary expense. Who better to protect you than yourself? Buy a gun and learn to use it Gramps.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

As long as they're mentally competent I say go for it. If they are not, it becomes time for family, not government to take those firearms from them.

I have one grandfather who passed away almost a year ago. He went from the well adjusted old man I knew to within 6 months before his death dealing with dementia and exhibiting fear anger and aggression which I had never seen my 30 years of being his grandson. He should not have had any guns and he didn't.

My other grandfather has gone into happy go lucky senility at the age of 91 and he used to be jerk before going senile. Now he's a nice old man who can follow a short conversation but generally lives in a happy forgetfull state. He too does not have firearms and shouldn't.

But if Grandma or Grandpa are good to go mentally, heck yes they should have a gun.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Sure makes the early bird specials safer at the local cafeteria.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Today's political climate seems to view seniors as an unnecessary expense. Who better to protect you than yourself? Buy a gun and learn to use it Gramps.
    This 69 year old grandfather did. Bought several in fact.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have a question about one of the comments. The comment about emptying the clip, would this be advised incase someone else has broken into the house?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question about one of the comments. The comment about emptying the clip, would this be advised incase someone else has broken into the house?
    You shoot to stop the threat. Once the threat is removed, save some of your ammo in the event you need it again.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    First sign of becoming a senior......

I believe he meant as in don't stop shooting till she hears click click click

"I've trained my wife to empty the chamber of the weapon into somebody that is an intruder into our home," Watts said. "You break the law, you ask for it."

Thats where my question comes in, if you hear click click click and someone else is there secounds pass and the other person might be on you befor you can reload.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Well, we grew up around guns, when people open carried, etc.... and always had guns around, it's just now they're bringing them more out into the open. It's only the later 70's kids and on, that didn't know much about guns..... following the infamous 1968 law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    One of the local gun shop owners told me a couple of years ago that right after Obama got elected, they had a tremendous influx of first time gun owners, and elderly individuals--both male and female, come in to buy firearms and sign up for classes. Obama and the democrats did a fantastic job of increasing gun sales!
    Nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links