Not so good: Warning shots again

This is a discussion on Not so good: Warning shots again within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chico warning shots Why? The threat was gone. At least the cops caught the intruder....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Not so good: Warning shots again

Not so good: Warning shots again

Chico warning shots

Why?

The threat was gone. At least the cops caught the intruder.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Wonder how the BG got inside and then got so close to the sleeping man before he was detected? I imagine that would scare the crap out anyone waking up to that scene.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    If you're afraid to shoot an intruder, you'd better start carrying firecrackers...
    limatunes likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

As I've said, my first warning shot will be to center of mass!
    8th ID likes this.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Perhaps the situation didn't allow for shooting the intruder. If it happened to me like that, where the intruder was running off, I might fire a couple of rounds at the ground to make him soil his pants and speed him on his way. I shoot on my own property once in a while. I am not in the city limits.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Chico's not a very gun-friendly city either. It's a univerity town that I think gets a lot of it's views from it's bigger brothers in the Bay Area. I'm curious to see what the local news says tonight.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Fired two warning shots into the ground. WHAT A IDIOT..This is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    Perhaps the situation didn't allow for shooting the intruder. If it happened to me like that, where the intruder was running off, I might fire a couple of rounds at the ground to make him soil his pants and speed him on his way. I shoot on my own property once in a while. I am not in the city limits.
    Hopefully you don't have neighbours close by either,rounds fired into the ground can ricochet,you may hit the lottery where your warning shot ricochets and kills an innocent person....say hello to to your new callmate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You know it's to bad our justice system is so messed up. What the heck is wrong with a warning shot? I'm not saying that I'd ever do it but our justice system seems to be geared towards making criminals out of regular folks. 50 years ago a cop shows up to your house after you fire a warning shot and he says "Good job, you took care of yourself and scared him off." Now they want to put you in the slammer.

How did we get here?

And to those who call this guy and idiot I'll remind you that not everyone in America is a trained ninja warrior. Most folks don't know the laws and are just trying to get through life in one piece. I know plenty of down home folks that would think warning shots are a good idea. Most people don't want to kill anyone unless they absolutely have to. Most folks think a warning shot is the lesser of two evils. They aren't idiots, they just don't know how bad our justice system sucks.
    Hopyard and Freedom Doc like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I fired warning shots over 20 years ago, He was charging me with a double bit axe drawn back for a swing. I pulled out my brand new . 357 and fired 3 shots over his left shoulder. Warned him off really well. Thing is, the sights were WAY off. I had them lined up on his chest. If I'd been trying to miss I probably would have hit him. I did get a nice double bit axe for my trouble though. Needless to say, I hit the range the next day and put the sights where they ought to be.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    I fired warning shots over 20 years ago, He was charging me with a double bit axe drawn back for a swing. I pulled out my brand new . 357 and fired 3 shots over his left shoulder. Warned him off really well. Thing is, the sights were WAY off. I had them lined up on his chest. If I'd been trying to miss I probably would have hit him. I did get a nice double bit axe for my trouble though. Needless to say, I hit the range the next day and put the sights where they ought to be.
    Hahahaha! I'm sure you were scared at the time, but in retrospect that's pretty funny.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

actually what was going through my mind at the time was "***, it's a .357, why isn't he dropping?" Then I saw a apple fly off the tree behind him about the same time as he dropped the axe and turned tail. This was deep in the Ouachita Mountains, about 20 minute walk from my car. Now when I got back to the car, That's when the fear, nerves, and shaking set in. I've always been that way, during a crisis, I'm fairly calm, but, afterwards...... That's a whole different story.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Sounds like someone needs to get a dog.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "Warning shots"... I stand by my previous statement...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    Yeah....if you do that, then it is no longer a warning shot...no you're discharging your weapon to intimidate...and, legally speaking, that's a bad thing.

You shoot to defend...you shoot to stop...that is all.

You DON'T shoot shoot to warn or intimidate.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links