New Orleans officers found guilty in Katrina shootings

This is a discussion on New Orleans officers found guilty in Katrina shootings within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A federal jury found four New Orleans police officers guilty on Friday of charges related to the shooting deaths of 2 ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mprp
  • 2 Post By goldshellback
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: New Orleans officers found guilty in Katrina shootings

New Orleans officers found guilty in Katrina shootings

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A federal jury found four New Orleans police officers guilty on Friday of charges related to the shooting deaths of 2 civilians in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and a subsequent cover-up.

In seems the cops executed some civilians, and two of their superiors covered it up.

New Orleans officers found guilty in Katrina shootings - Yahoo! News

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like someone's in trouble. I think I would have called in sick that day and took care of my own family in a disaster like that one.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

In a very high stress enviroment.....post-natural disaster, having been repetedly shot at by some of the Big Easy's finer, up-standing citizens, and nearly ALL infastructre in complete collapse, these cops made a very bad decision................and then tried to cover it up.

I have an understanding of what they were going through prior to the incident in question happening (I grew up in south Louisiana), but to try and hide it made it SO much worse.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned in the last 20 years is that people will screw-up. What defines character is how they respond and recover from that challenge.
    Bark'n and WHEC724 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Ex-New Orleans cops get prison time in Danziger Bridge shootings - CNN.com

This just in..... the Fed. Judge handed out some STIFF prison time for the shooting and subsequent cover-up.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

To protect and serve

VIP Member
    I am glad these scumbags are off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    To protect and serve
    AZ - IMHO your quote is false advertising. SCOTUS has made it clear that the cops have absolutely no responsibility to protect any of us.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The lightest term went to former detective sergeant Arthur Kaufman, who was sentenced to six years for attempting to cover up what the officers had done, according to the U.S. attorney's office in New Orleans.
    Personally I believe that this person should have received just as harsh a sentence as those who actually pulled the trigger. But then I believe the shooters should have got the death sentence.

Michael

I've been in New Orleans during the Mardi Gras a couple of times.. Their supervisors or lack of, allowed them to bully the people. In Washington DC we got our ass's in trouble for ruffing up the hippies when they tried to block the roads for people trying to come to work during the May Day demonstrations in 1971. But we didn't shoot them nor wanted to. "Love & Peace"

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    To protect and serve
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I am glad these scumbags are off the street.

AZ - IMHO your quote is false advertising. SCOTUS has made it clear that the cops have absolutely no responsibility to protect any of us.
    I smell sarcasm from azchevy's general direction...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Every dog has his day!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

U hope anyway
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

All I can say is New Orleans has run rampant for years with corruption. I been there during Mardi gras and it’s all about the money, they care nothing about the people. That’s what happens in a town that makes all their money from tourism

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    In a very high stress enviroment.....post-natural disaster, having been repetedly shot at by some of the Big Easy's finer, up-standing citizens, and nearly ALL infastructre in complete collapse, these cops made a very bad decision................and then tried to cover it up.

I have an understanding of what they were going through prior to the incident in question happening (I grew up in south Louisiana), but to try and hide it made it SO much worse.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned in the last 20 years is that people will screw-up. What defines character is how they respond and recover from that challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN Justice
    During the trial, the defense asked the jury to consider the stressful circumstances the officers were operating under following Katrina. The shootings took place during a week of dire flooding, rampant looting and death by drowning, and police were strained by suicides and desertion among their ranks.

But U.S. Attorney Jim Letten said the prison sentences send the message that "when the crisis we face is the most threatening, that when the challenges are the greatest, the rules don't go out the window."

"In fact, that's when the discipline, when the honesty of our public servants, our police and the men and women of law enforcement are most critical," Letten said.
    I think the prosecutor was right on point with those statements.
    goldshellback likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you sleep with dogs your going to get flees. Im glad they were caught, and I hope the discipline fits the crime.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Links