GOOD, VERY GOOD: Carjacker dies after being shot by victim

This is a discussion on GOOD, VERY GOOD: Carjacker dies after being shot by victim within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Finally, a heartwarming story out of Detroit Police: Carjacker Dies After Victim Pulls Gun - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit Don't know all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: GOOD, VERY GOOD: Carjacker dies after being shot by victim

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

GOOD, VERY GOOD: Carjacker dies after being shot by victim

Finally, a heartwarming story out of Detroit

Police: Carjacker Dies After Victim Pulls Gun - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

Don't know all of the details, but the victim might be charged in shooting. Unless, the carjacker tried to run the victim over with his own vehicle, he may be charged with shooting the carjacker as he was fleeing (i.e. no longer a threat). If so, that would be a darn shame.

2. Remove Ads

So the 19 yr old got in the owners Yukon, and the owner shot at him as he took off with the vehicle, which then crashed 2 blocks away... they are unsure what the 19 yr old died from (shots or wreck) and the owner of the vehicle may be charged with murder.

What part of that is good ? ?

What I see is two people gave up their lives for some really stupid decisions.
    Copperjacket likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The carjacker was killed when he drove the Denali into a tree about two blocks away from the gas station, police said. The sports utility vehicle flipped on its roof.
    Police said they were not sure if the 19-year-old died from gunshot wounds or injuries suffered from the crash.

Who cares?

Uncle Ted always says, "No repeat offenders, just dead offenders."

Works for me...
    garyacman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hmmm article says he started shooting AFTER the guy was already driving away in his Denali? WHy did it take the guy so long to fire on the BG? If the BG was already leaving in his SUV then isn't the threat no longer valid? Unless the guy tried to run him down. If this were me the guy never would have made it into my vehicle. This story sounds weird....
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    What part of that is good ? ?

What I see is two people gave up their lives for some really stupid decisions.
    I don't disagree with you, but the carjacker had a lot of time to make his decision to jack the victim. Whereas, the victim had all of, what, two or three seconds (?) to make his "stupid" decision.

Sorry but I can't seem to find any part of that story "heartwarming". It sounds like a permit holder shot at a car jacker under less that clear cut circumstances and the carjacker died. Either way, the victim still has to go through the legal process, he may not be in the clear, he will go through the rest of his life with the knowledge that he took a life, and with the legal system we have today he may end up doing more time than the car jacker would have and that's just the start of it.

While the outcome may have been the best possible under the circumstances it still doesn't qualify as "heartwarming".
    Bark'n likes this.

Carry permit doesn't make you a cop.

Unless your life is threatened, that's what insurance is for.
    claude clay likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would be real hesitant to draw conclusions or make any judgements based on what skimpy information is available. Do you trust news "reporters" to give an accurate description of what actually transpired?

Please, wait a day or more before pronouncing judgement on the victim here. We don't know squat.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I would be real hesitant to draw conclusions or make any judgements based on what skimpy information is available. Do you trust news "reporters" to give an accurate description of what actually transpired?

Please, wait a day or more before pronouncing judgement on the victim here. We don't know squat.
    Yeah, but we probably won't get any updates. That's just the nature of the forum.

I will say, it's always best to do any shooting before they actually tack control of your vehicle and are driving off.

If the victim shot him during a struggle, and the carjacker, after being shot, managed to get in the truck and drive off, then I would think the shooting took place while the victim was still in a state of lethal threat.

Just because the carjacker managed to take off and drive for a distance before he crashed does not mean he wasn't shot during a struggle.

Lots of people are shot and still manage to flee in a getaway car only to succumb to their wounds a short time later, thus crashing the vehicle.

I agree, we need to wait until more facts come in. I only hope the OP is able to post some follow-ups from the local news because it will be interesting to find out what really happened.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Finally, a heartwarming story out of Detroit

Police: Carjacker Dies After Victim Pulls Gun - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

Don't know all of the details, but the victim might be charged in shooting. Unless, the carjacker tried to run the victim over with his own vehicle, he may be charged with shooting the carjacker as he was fleeing (i.e. no longer a threat). If so, that would be a darn shame.
    I'm glad he was out of action, but it seems a little weird to celebrate someone's death.

I live in the Detroit area and I often read the stories off this particular news site. You have to be careful, the site is extremely nororious for writing misinformation, wrong information, many inaccuracies. We'll have to wait and see in the coming days just what happened. As of now, it looks like the victim shot at the vehicle as he was driving away (a no no in the self defense world), seems only justified if this maggot tried to run down the victim with his own vehicle. The story also does not confirm if the victim was actually shot, just that he hit a tree and flipped over....the victim may have shot at him, but did he hit him? It's too bad that the victim may have to endure murder charges and a possible lengthy, expensive trial. All I have to say is if I was on the jury, I vote not guilty!!!!

There's nothing good about shooting at a fleeing suspect. The person who did the shooting is probably aware of that now that he's had a chance to begin writing checks to an attorney.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Shoot at fleeing BG--- put bullet holes in my vehicle, possibly make BG bleed all over my interior, cause BG to total my car when he crashes, get charged with unlawful shooting.

Nope, rather hope the police can recover it, intact.

Now whether or not I can come up with that list of negatives during the actual situation... not sure anyone can say. I'd definately want to shoot though.

I would think that somebody who forked over the money for a Yukon Denali would have it equipped with Onstar. A quick phone call tells the police right where the vehicle is and also allows it to be remotely disabled (at least that's what their commercials show).
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links