Mostly BAD and UGLY: Motown potpurri

This is a discussion on Mostly BAD and UGLY: Motown potpurri within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know, I know...too many bad stories out of Motown, but again, these are real life examples that we can all learn from: Police search ...

Thread: Mostly BAD and UGLY: Motown potpurri

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Wonder why that is who's in charge in Motown? Must be some of those sheep leaders.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Wonder why that is who's in charge in Motown? Must be some of those sheep leaders.
    Dave Bing is the mayor. Dave is a former Piston's basketball (IMO, future Hall of Fame) player. He's well-liked and respected in these parts. Dave inherited a cluster-you-know-what from the previous (Young and Kilpatrick) adminstration(s). Recently, he's had problems with his executive staff, and they've either been dropping like flies or are under investigation. The city council is lead by a gay, former local newscaster named Charles Pugh. Interestingly, the pro-tem on the council is a guy named Gary Brown who was awarded $ millions in a whistle blower case that eventually put the previous mayor (Kilpatrick) in prison. Kilpatrick is currently out on probation, but faces 19 federal indictments and I (among a lot of other metro-Detroiters) am waiting with baited breath to see how that turns out for him.

However, the downfall of Detroit over the years, is not entirely or strictly due to political failings, although that had a lot to do with its decline. It's also a culture of entitlement, racism, corruption and ignorance. Stir into that mix, the loss of manufacturing/jobs, the downturn in the automotive industry, (not just) "white flight" and weak leadership, among other factors, and you're looking at a city that may never recover, unfortunately.

Links