Lock your car doors when you're in it...

This is a discussion on Lock your car doors when you're in it... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An ounce of prevention.... 2 Women Kidnapped, Robbed At Gunpoint In Minneapolis | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lock your car doors when you're in it...

Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My doors are always locked. My fiancee's car automatically locks the doors once the car is going 'around 10 miles per hour' (per the owner's manual) and don't automatically unlock until she turns the key 'Off'. I need to reprogram it...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Glad they are OK. Everyone needs to have good SA. I know MANY do not. This can happen anywhere--I don't care if the Lt. says its 'unusual.'

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so, once again we are speaking the obvious as if it were something that needed saying...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Both of our vehicles have auto-locks but like stated and ounce of prevention...

Situational awareness is key, unfortunately 99% of people have no clue.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Do most people keep their windows up as well?

I work across from the Midtown Market (E Lake & 10th/11th Av) & unless it's 90+, I have the windows partially down & the doors locked when driving. Always keeping my head moving during drives to & from work...especially when stopped, but may have to reconsider the windows.
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; August 11th, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Auto-door locks are the way to go. I've always advocated locking the driver's side door (also) but even with my persistence I would forget from time-to-time. An auto lock is the only solution because you will forget.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Auto-door locks are the way to go. I've always advocated locking the driver's side door (also) but even with my persistence I would forget from time-to-time. An auto lock is the only solution because you will forget.
    Nonsense.

Develop the habit of hitting the lock button with the same motion used to pull the door closed.

You will occasionally lock a passenger out before he can get in, but it is well worth it.

Auto locks are crap.

Here is why.

Suppose I am a car jacker or kidnapper. I am going to ease up as though I am the owner of the next car and just at the instant you are entering your car, still off balance, juggling packages, etc., I charge at you and grab the door or you.

That instant is when you are most vulnerable.

Who is going to instigate a kidnapping or car jacking once the car is in motion and on the way to 10 MPH? No one with a brain.

I know of what I speak.

I rolled the window up, in the days of the mechanical window, and dragged a guy about a half a mile who attempted to reach in over my window, which I had partially opened when he wanted to speak to me.

A long but funny story that turned out well because I had SA and was lucky.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would have been in a lot of trouble had I not had my door locked.

Lock that door at the same instant you swing it closed and insist that every single member of your family does the same when they are out on their own.

DO NOT wait for the auto lock.

I agree with the posters on auto locks-no thanks! I have an older Toyota truck and I hit the switch, it locks both doors. My best friend has a new Nissan pickup- the auto
    lock unlocks her doors when she shuts off the ignition and doesn't lock until the truck is put into gear. I like my "manual" activation, I can lock and unlock when I choose,
    not when the system chooses.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

ArkhmAsylm - I do the same thing when I ride my bike or drive on Lake St. I always keep my eyes peeled; don't like some of the characters that hang around the area, especially near the Midtown Global Market.
    Last edited by boricua; August 11th, 2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: na
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Well, for ME, the auto-locks function as I need to keep me safe. I realize there are moments of vulnerability and that unlocking the door when you put it in park is not ideal. But IMO one of the times that we are vulnerable is stopped in traffic. The other aspect is that while YOU may invoke a habit with your manual locks, I'm concerned about the wife, kids, SO, or whomever routinely locking the driver's side door. I've been unsuccessful in getting them to do it despite some nagging.

Maybe the ideal situation is auto-locks you can program with options to keep doors locked when stopped and in park if you choose.

To me it's not the specific instances of vulnerability, we all have them. It's about consistency. You may lock your doors manually 98% of the time - the 2% is a lot of time where you (or a loved one) may have forgotten. I'd rather have 99.9-100% consistency, and use my SA to deal with short periods of vulnerability (coming out of a store with packages).

YMMV

Just pay attention and go prepared. Technology and auto locks won't protect you if someone walks up and points a gun at your head from the other side of the window.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    ...I realize there are moments of vulnerability and that unlocking the door when you put it in park is not ideal. But IMO one of the times that we are vulnerable is stopped in traffic. The other aspect is that while YOU may invoke a habit with your manual locks, I'm concerned about the wife, kids, SO, or whomever routinely locking the driver's side door. I've been unsuccessful in getting them to do it despite some nagging...
    Exactly!

I would not want, nor do I see the need for auto-locks in my vehicle. Since getting my first vehicle with electric door locks, I've ingrained myself with the habit...you could almost call it an obsession...with locking the doors the second I get in the car. Both my wife & I will see ourselves hitting the lock button several times during a drive, even though we've either done it already or heard the lock's 'ker-chunk' as the other does it.

Unfortunately, it is such an automatic thing for me that I'll often hit the lock button before the wife gets to her door!
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; August 12th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

On any device, any safe, any home or car...if it has a lock, use it!
    In some cases, you may need to ADD a lock!OMOYMV
    The world has changed, and it isn't for the better.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links