GOOD: Contractor caps burglary suspect

This is a discussion on GOOD: Contractor caps burglary suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bad year for burglars in Tacoma continues with Wednesday shooting Wednesday’s shooting of a burglar by a contractor working at a home in North Tacoma ...

Bad year for burglars in Tacoma continues with Wednesday shooting

Wednesday’s shooting of a burglar by a contractor working at a home in North Tacoma was the latest in a series of incidents that did not end too well for the bad guys, and nobody – with the possible exception of burglars – seems to be squawking too loudly.

Bad year for burglars in Tacoma continues with Wednesday shooting - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

BACKGROUND: I grew up in Tacoma and the neighborhood where this happened is not far from where my dad once lived many years ago. It's a very quiet, very low-key, very affluent neighborhood where this sort of thing doesn't usually happen.

It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a burglary. Too many people who live there own big mean hungry dogs and guns, alarm systems and/or they have neighbors who own those things and aren't shy about calling the cops.

Get out the crying towels for the burglary suspect.

Sounds like the contractor did what he was supposed to and call LE. When the dirtbag tried to leave and rammed his vehicle is where it sounded like he took it a little personally. To see the location of the shooter to the ramming vehicle would be interesting to me. And if he drew then or after said dirtbag got out of the vehicle. My thoughts are that he may have drawn and shot even though his life wasn't in danger. Total guess but just my first impression. Then again, I don't know Washington's laws either.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about using deadly force to protect property. Understanding he may be armed since his chosen career often uses weapons I would draw on him and order him to the ground until LE came, not until my life or my families lives were threatened would I pull the trigger though. I don't know Washington Law either but my moral law would have a problem with that.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about using deadly force to protect property. Understanding he may be armed since his chosen career often uses weapons I would draw on him and order him to the ground until LE came, not until my life or my families lives were threatened would I pull the trigger though. I don't know Washington Law either but my moral law would have a problem with that.

Better hope he doesnt have a buddy with him who is not as hessitant to use his weapon as you are. Good way to get dead.

A few more details.

The suspect rammed this guy's truck and then bailed out and came at him raving wildly.
    Washington is a "stand your ground" state where this sort of behavior can be easily construed as threatening grave bodily harm or death. he had, after all, just finished ramming the guy's truck twice.

At that point, this became more than just a property crime.

Our suspect here has a criminal record, which the contractor could not have known about, but presented with the same set of circumstances, knowing what he knew at the time, firing may be easily justified under our state self-defense law. We'll see how the prosecutor comes down on this, or course, but I'm giving odds to the good guy here.

I wrote a book on WA state gun laws and self-defense laws that some cops and attorneys use as a reference guide.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    ...The contractor also spotted some items from the house, including a television and weapons, in the driveway...

...A confrontation followed during which the suspect got a rather nasty surprise...
    Sounds like the contractor may have had reason to believe that the thief could try to use one of the owner's weapons in an attempt to escape.

"Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    A few more details.

The suspect rammed this guy's truck and then bailed out and came at him raving wildly.
    Washington is a "stand your ground" state where this sort of behavior can be easily construed as threatening grave bodily harm or death. he had, after all, just finished ramming the guy's truck twice.

At that point, this became more than just a property crime.

Our suspect here has a criminal record, which the contractor could not have known about, but presented with the same set of circumstances, knowing what he knew at the time, firing may be easily justified under our state self-defense law. We'll see how the prosecutor comes down on this, or course, but I'm giving odds to the good guy here.

I wrote a book on WA state gun laws and self-defense laws that some cops and attorneys use as a reference guide.
    See this makes all the difference in my mind. My firearm would have already been drawn and when he came at me he clearly has intent to cause at the very least GBH.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I love the successful self defense stories! Glad people stand up to the criminal elements of society. There is no reasoning with the criminal elements.

Sounds about right for Tacoma. I served a few years at Ft. Lewis and two areas I tried to avoid were Tacoma and Spanaway. Good job by the contractor though
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    See this makes all the difference in my mind. My firearm would have already been drawn and when he came at me he clearly has intent to cause at the very least GBH.
    Yeah but it disdn't say he had a weapon,you could have tried to run away to keep from having to shoot somebody who may have just been basically going to wqork to support his family by taking other peoples stuff
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Standing your ground is something everyone should do. I am glad there is a law in support of it but it is sad that said law is required. If someone was trying to take what I have worked hard for all my life, I would try to detain them. Unless they dropped everything and ran away screaming or flopped on the ground to wait for LEO, I would take it as a threatening act of agression.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Links