People freak when Police allow children to touch "machine guns".

This is a discussion on People freak when Police allow children to touch "machine guns". within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; California Police Sticking To Guns In Defense Of Letting Kids Hold Automatic Weapons | FoxNews.com Some people are flipping out saying the police are training ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: People freak when Police allow children to touch "machine guns".

California Police Sticking To Guns In Defense Of Letting Kids Hold Automatic Weapons | FoxNews.com

Some people are flipping out saying the police are training these kids to be mass murderers, on the other hand someone points out the value of proper exposure to guns benefitting a childs future.

I agree with the police exposing kids to guns in a safe enviroment. What say you?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Safe handling of anything can only be good. If the police are doing everything in the proper venue it matters not.

If showing guns makes people mass murderers, then why do kids raised with proper gun use not all go on killing rampages. I can think of many examples of kids with proper gun training from a young age becoming responsible adults. My brother, several of my cousins, and myself included.

With that logic, every kid that touches a hammer will grow up to be a carpenter. I don't believe that has ever been true either.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Some people would take the guns away from the police if they thought they could get away with it.

Note: In photo 3 & 4 of the slide show, the young man holding the M16/AR has apparently already learned to keep his finger off the trigger.
    joker1 and Secret Spuk like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I was just reading this on foxnews.

I remember back in the day (probably a dozen years ago now), the local SWAT team had a a thing going on at the mall, for public relations.

They had tables set up, with MP-5's, and M-4's, and shotguns, and tear gas launchers with locks on them, secured with cables. They would let you pick up and look at the weapons, and were cognizant of making sure people handled them correctly. And they were very approachable, and fun to talk to.

Apparently, that encounter a dozen years ago left a good impression with me, because I still remember it. And amazingly, I didn't turn out to be some sort of psychopath either. I turned out to be a law abiding gun owner.

A gun doesn't have evil powers it transfers into someone when picked up, far more factors go into making somebody a scumbag, most of them related to their upbringing, socialization, and how straight their moral compass is.
    joker1 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Once you touch it, do you think a kid might want to shoot it?

With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.

Christopher Bizilj was testing a 9 mm Micro Uzi at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass., as part of the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo, when he shot himself Sunday.

8-Yr-Old Boy Shoots Self at Gun Show - ABC News
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If they Officers are telling them "safety" and "safe" methods of handling a gun, then it's especially good. Probably the first time any of them have heard it. I think it's good to teach them when they are young and expose them to things, it does away with the fear factor, and also teaches them safe handling, etc.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Some people would take the guns away from the police if they thought they could get away with it.

Note: In photo 3 & 4 of the slide show, the young man holding the M16/AR has apparently already learned to keep his finger off the trigger.
    Yeah and did you notice the typical Southern or Bay Area Californian expression on the face of the older lady in slide 6? LOL It looks like she's getting ready to throw up.

Yes, I think it's a great idea to safely expose kids to guns. I've done it with all of mine. They understand what they can do, how they should handle them and the difference between Hollywood and real life.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

irony = not allowing your citizens to own the very weapons (without restrictions) that the police are allowing the children to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Once you touch it, do you think a kid might want to shoot it?

With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.

Christopher Bizilj was testing a 9 mm Micro Uzi at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass., as part of the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo, when he shot himself Sunday.

8-Yr-Old Boy Shoots Self at Gun Show - ABC News
    Are you saying we shouldn't let children touch guns, even with supervision? I would not say that the child who shot himself in this story was being supervised, at least not properly.
    Tzadik and Bubbiesdad like this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

While it is tragic about the young boy, IMO and eight year old has no business firing a subgun.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While it is tragic about the young boy, IMO and eight year old has no business firing a subgun.
    Not only that,but anytime a new shooter wants to fir a FA gun I only put 3 or 4 rounds in the first few times til I make sure they get a feel for the gun and they run outta ammo before the gun gets away if they can't control the muzzle,or freeze up on the trigger.
    Guantes and Tzadik like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    Are you saying we shouldn't let children touch guns, even with supervision? I would not say that the child who shot himself in this story was being supervised, at least not properly.
    Yes, I'm saying that even with supervision, children should not be allowed to touch or fire automatic weapons. If you disagree, then we will just have to disagree.

That's totally different from teaching a young person who has reached an appropriate level of maturity how to handle and use a firearm safely. Up until that point, children should be taught when they see a firearm to not touch it, leave it alone, and go find an adult. I'm not thrilled with the idea of police allowing children to handle weapons during a "community event". Too many children injure or kill themselves or others handling guns that they have discovered.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Too many kids die in pools, crossing the street, diving in water and getting Amoebas up there nose. What's your point? That kid at the MG shoot was an anomaly.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

The story that SigHawk posted was certainly tragic...

If I recall the incident correctly....

The father figured a micro uzi would be easy to control and did not take into account that it is a VERY hard weapon to control due to its light weight & significant recoil due to its heavy rate of fire. He had taken his son shooting many times but had not ever fired the weapon in question.
    The person manning the booth was a younger teenager that had no business supervising ANYONE shooting a weapon.
    The father looked away to grab a camera and take pictures while the young kid was given the live weapon with no real instruction or actual supervision.

The story here is riddled with negligence on every side. This tragedy could EASILY have been avoided.

My son has been handling weapons under my very close supervision from the first day that he asked me about them when he was about 2 years old. He is now three and a half. He helps me load up bulk ammo into trays every time I place an order.

I have taken the taboo away from guns. I am instilling in him a sense of muzzle discipline and trigger finger discipline as quickly as I can in order to make any encounter he may have with a weapon as safe as possible. He knows that unless a few key people are present & he has asked consent that he is not to touch a weapon under any circumstances. He knows that guns are not toys. He knows that bullets are dangerous if not handled appropriately. He knows that guns are very dangerous if handled the wrong way.

The moment he is old enough and mature enough to IMMEDIATELY obey any order from me without question he will go to the range with me and learn to shoot a 22 LR (I have a cricket and a lever action available). I bought a Walther P-22 about the same time he was born for the purpose of training him and training my mother. When he is old enough that Walther P-22 will become his.
    SFury, Old School and joker1 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    "A U.S. Department of Justice study showed that children introduced to firearms by their fathers had a lower rate of delinquency than children who learned about guns on the street, or even children who had no experience with guns at all," Dr. Tim Wheeling, of the group Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership, told FoxNews.com.
    Really? Facts??? What ever will the liberal sheep do with those?

"If this controlled lesson in firearms helped the kids understand that guns are not toys, some good could come from it. The knee-jerk rejection to the police outreach by locals was clearly excessive."

The pro-gun control Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence declined to comment.
    Exactly what they always do with them...nada.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links