Robber shot dead at walmart

This is a discussion on Robber shot dead at walmart within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; All defensive shootings wherein the assailant dies as a result of his wounds, are homicides....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Robber shot dead at walmart

All defensive shootings wherein the assailant dies as a result of his wounds, are homicides.
    Bark'n and Secret Spuk like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
    When I went through the CHL class we were told to shoot at center mass to stop the threat. We were also told that a head shot would normally be looked at as a homicide.

Now the stress level is high, adrenaline is pumping, the bad guy is running and you get a head shot.

I think more info onthe incident is needed.
    there's a lot of questionable info passed out at those classes. if that is the extent of anyone's training I urge you to find a good sd trainer and learn how to properly use that tool that you've chosen to carry

FWIW it's 2 com and 1 to the head if the first 2 didn't end the threat to you

Important lesson here...work on speed.
    Shoot his arse before he can turn around.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    All defensive shootings wherein the assailant dies as a result of his wounds, are homicides.
    Yep, it's just a matter of if the "powers that be" allow you to have a pass on it, or not. It doesn't look like this guy is going to be "excused."

And for the record, I agree with you HotGuns! (Post #34)

Unfortunately, we live in a society where a bunch of progressives have been allowed to run amok for way too long.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I know that place. So maybe there's more to it than we know.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Absolutely, big to do, but he was aquitted.

It SHOULD have been an atta boy.....
    He was not acquitted. He was no billed by the Grand Jury. Horne was never charged with anything other than in the court of public opinion.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    He was not acquitted. He was no billed by the Grand Jury. Horne was never charged with anything other than in the court of public opinion.
    Thanks for the correction, I was working off memory.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

This is a good deal. The people need to let the government know they are watching. I see this as a armed robber being shot during the commission of a crime. The crime was still in progress when he was shot. He still had his weapon in his possession and therefore was still a threat.

Michael

I just obtained my carry permit and have lots of questions I'll be researching here on the forum and elsewhere. Not trying to thread jack here, but in this case, if Canul had shot at the ground and yelled stop or I'll shoot you, would he be guilty of brandishing, or some other offense?

Interested in your thoughts on this... Based on the Washington State RCW, would this have been a good shoot or a bad shoot? Your Input?

RCW 9A.16.050
    Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

*** CHANGE IN 2011 *** (SEE 5045.SL) ***

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

KaboomKaboom I am not a lawyer but......
    One of the reports said the deceased had already obtained the wallet and started to flee. If that is in fact the case I do not think the law you have there would support a claim of self defense. If it has been established that he was in fact fleeing you would probably have a very difficult time convincing a judge or jury that he is still trying to hurt you. And at that point it would be hard to argue that you were still resisting his felonious acts. Unfortunately it does not look like your law there allows you to use force to prevent his escape or to recover property like Texas law does in some cases.

Logan robber running away when shot dead, police say* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

"According to the complaint, Abbott held a sharp object to Canul's throat and took Canul's wallet out of his pants pocket.

Canul then pulled a gun out of his waistband, and Abbott started running away toward the store, the criminal complaint states."

This means self defense IMO.

If you wanted to make that argument I think the key would be the distance involved. If he was three feet away when you shot him you might have a chance of convincing me. If he was thirty feet away, that's not going to fly with me.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    It sucks that legally you can not shoot a BG who is fleeing with your things, but that is the law...

Sometimes legal and right do not meet eye to eye.
    I'll probably get flamed for this... but how is it "right" to shoot and kill someone who isn't an immediate threat to your life? Because they've harmed you financially? That's a mightly slipperly slope. When he had him at knifepoint, of course, the threat is there as you have no idea what his intentions are. But as he's running away, it's more than obvious he isn't going to harm you.

I would say that in this case, the law and what's "right" meet up eye to eye 100%.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links