Robber shot dead at walmart

This is a discussion on Robber shot dead at walmart within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Monday August 22, 2011 Man shoots alleged robber dead at Logan Walmart by From staff reports Charleston Daily Mail LOGAN, W.Va. -- Police say a ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Robber shot dead at walmart

Monday August 22, 2011
    Man shoots alleged robber dead at Logan Walmart
    by From staff reports
    Charleston Daily Mail

LOGAN, W.Va. -- Police say a Logan County man shot and killed another man who was trying to rob him at a Walmart in Logan.
    It happened about 4:30 p.m. Monday at the parking lot entrance of the Fountain Place store.
    David Abbott, 37, of Chapmanville approached Jesus Canul, 26, of Logan in the store's parking lot.
    Abbott produced a "sharp object" and attempted to rob Canul, Logan Police Chief E.K. Harper said.
    Canul then pulled a handgun from his waistband and shot Abbott once in the head, Harper said.
    Abbott was taken to Logan Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
    No other injuries were reported.
    Canul stayed at the scene and surrendered to city police.
    The weapon, which was described only as a handgun, was recovered as evidence.
    He was taken into custody and has been charged with murder.
    Harper said officers were advised by the county prosecutor's office to proceed with a murder charge because of the circumstances of the shooting.
    The chief was not sure if the two men knew each other.
    An investigation is ongoing

I know that place. So maybe there's more to it than we know.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

wow, a murder charge??? not knowing all the issues of the case I could be way off the mark but in most places in FLA what appears to be a good case of self defense would get you an atta boy from the authorities

Hmmmm you would think self defense but maybe they know something we don't

I'm sure theres more to this. A good percentage of "robberies" are dope deals gone bad. Interested to find out more details

I just read a update that the robber was shot in the back of the head this maybe why they are treating it as a murder investigation
    ArmyMan likes this.

VIP Member
    Here is some more info:

One Dead in Logan Shooting

A robbery gone awry at the Wal-Mart in Logan has left one man dead and another man facing murder charges, according to the Logan Police Department.

Logan Police Sgt. Dave White said David Abbot, 37, of Chapmanville, was shot and killed Monday afternoon by the same man whom Abbot had robbed only seconds prior.

White said Abbot went to the Wal-Mart to rob Jesus Canul, 26, of Logan, who was cashing his paycheck.

"The victim was there with the intention to rob Canul," White said.

After Canul cashed his check, Abbot used some sort of sharp object to take Canul's wallet in the Wal-Mart parking lot, police said.

"(Canul) was held in a head lock," White said. "(Abbot) took the wallet from (Canul's) pocket. So it was forcibly taken."

White said police recovered a pair of scissors that might have been used in the robbery.

Once Abbot took the wallet, he began to flee the scene, police said. However, at that point, Canul allegedly pulled out a gun and fired at Abbot.
    One Dead in Logan Shooting - West Virginia Headline News and Talk Radio

Looks like the robber was leaving the scene, going to make it a bad shoot.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sucks that one can't shoot somebody that just stole your paycheck at "knifepoint".....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Bad guy holding a knife or other weapon on me - imminent threat; justified shoot

Bad guy running away with my wallet - no longer a threat; shooting in the back of the head will result in being locked up with Bubba.
    Bubbiesdad, Gforty, ASSA9 and 3 others like this.

Yeah, that's just bad for the victim in this case, but truthfully, it's his own fault for making such a bad call to shoot the dirt-bag in the back of the head after the fact.
    goldshellback and garyacman like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    Bad guy holding a knife or other weapon on me - imminent threat; justified shoot

Bad guy running away with my wallet - no longer a threat; shooting in the back of the head will result in being locked up with Bubba.
    Yep BAD...
    It looks like that decision is going to cost him an awful lot of warm sudsy showers with Rufus and Leroy.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Maybe the shooter should have yelled, "Hey, you dropped a $20 bill!" as the BG was running away. Then the BG would have turned around, making it a legal kill...kidding of course. The threat was clearly over.

But what if the BG had said "I'll be back to kill you later!" Would the shooting have been justified, er, legal, then?
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I read some place here recently that It's pretty easy to end up shooting the BG in the back do to the delay in ones reaction to the turn and run reactions. As a shooter it takes too long to process the change in the situational danger. as such, the trigger gets pulled after the BG has spun around making it look really bad when it really wasn't at the time only due to reaction time. (Somebody put a time line on these reactions which was an eye opener but I don't know where that could be found at this moment)
    kb2wji and Tzadik like this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I read some place here recently that It's pretty easy to end up shooting the BG in the back do to the delay in ones reaction to the turn and run reactions. As a shooter it takes too long to process the change in the situational danger. as such, the trigger gets pulled after the BG has spun around making it look really bad when it really wasn't at the time only due to reaction time. (Somebody put a time line on these reactions which was an eye opener but I don't know where that could be found at this moment)
    there has been a lot of case law on this Massad Ayob has written a lot about this and has testified in court about it

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I'm with "Maverick" on this one. I remember the thread also, it involved an LEO shooting someone, and in fact, Mas Ayoob was called in as an "expert" witness, and proved that someone could turn quicker than the shooter could react to it.
    End result...it was deemed to be a good shoot and the LEO got off.
    I don't remember the title of the thread though...seems like it was just in the last couple of weeks or so.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links