Good: Man uses Gun To Thwart Carjacker Bad: Man Fires Gun Into Air

This is a discussion on Good: Man uses Gun To Thwart Carjacker Bad: Man Fires Gun Into Air within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Valley Man Arrested After Trying to Steal Truck at Knife-Point - MyWabashValley.com Got to go home at the end of the day so I'll still ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Good: Man uses Gun To Thwart Carjacker Bad: Man Fires Gun Into Air

Good: Man uses Gun To Thwart Carjacker Bad: Man Fires Gun Into Air

Valley Man Arrested After Trying to Steal Truck at Knife-Point - MyWabashValley.com

Got to go home at the end of the day so I'll still call it a win, but shooting into the air instead of at the target is a no-no. Castle Doctrine backed up the shoot, as it applies to an occupied vehicle in IN.

Police say the 30 year old had just tried to take someone else's motorcycle, and then went for the pick-up.
    That's when the pick-up driver took out a handgun and fired it in the air.
    Cunningham ran from the scene.

Glock Certified Armorer

2. Remove Ads

The hell with shooting in the air, he should have shot the car jacker.

He just needs a lot more time on the range, he's shooting a little high!
    TNFiddler likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Makes me wonder if he shot into the air or actually just missed his intended target...Seeing as though he owns that bullet, putting it up into the sky he better hope it doesn't find a roof or worse an innocent person...may as well hit the gas and if that's not an option then stop the threat
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

He needs to buy a starter pistol if all he wants to do is try to scare them off,I don't know of any CCW/CHL etc classes that teach anybody to fire warning shots
    TNFiddler likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Warning Shots:

2 or 3 well placed shots into your target that are the prelude of what's to come if the target continues to be a threat.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I think people shoot into the air because a lot of people with guns, just can't bring them self to shoot another person no matter what they they may tell others.

During the middle of a carjacking, when they are "in your face" and can take your life in the blink of an eye, you shoot the damn carjacker! Repeatedly!

Shooting the gun up in the air to scare them off, when they are right on top of you say's a lot about that individual right there. He's damn lucky he survived the incident. And real lucky his errant round didn't hurt anyone.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This guy sounds like the one TN-Mike described in an earlier post of "not wanting to shoot" someone even if they are committing a crime against him. Shoot in the air? Why? He may as well just handed over his handgun to the perp for all that accomplished. Victim is lucky the BG was a real coward and ran.

Even doing that may not prevent the Bad Guy from continuing the crime, knowing the guy will just shoot at the sky may give the BG more incentive to do harm.

3+ in center mass usually stops the threat, not one in the air.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Tuesday it was two carjacking attempts with a knife, today it was an ambush at a bank drive through in the same city of Terre Haute. Trend seems to be take advantage of the open windows and ambush people when the windows are down and the vehicle is stopped, with relative the nice weather the non east coasters are seeing; it's a tactic to think about and be alert for. Thankfully these guys gave up and ran before they hurt anyone.

Attempted Robbery at a Terre Haute Bank - MyWabashValley.com

Glock Certified Armorer

Not suggesting anyone do this but if this guy is so afraid of shooting someone he should load up with blanks and keep us all safe including the bad guy.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think people shoot into the air because a lot of people with guns, just can't bring them self to shoot another person no matter what they they may tell others.

During the middle of a carjacking, when they are "in your face" and can take your life in the blink of an eye, you shoot the damn carjacker! Repeatedly!

Shooting the gun up in the air to scare them off, when they are right on top of you say's a lot about that individual right there. He's damn lucky he survived the incident. And real lucky his errant round didn't hurt anyone.
    This right here..

His mindset is all wrong. He is real lucky..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Just wanted to checkout mortality rates on gunshots fired up, and I found some interesting statistics.

"Bullets fired into the air usually fall back at speeds much lower than those at which they leave the barrel of a firearm. Nevertheless, people are injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down. The mortality rate among those struck by falling bullets is about 32%, compared with about 2% to 6% normally associated with gunshot wounds.[5] The higher mortality is related to the higher incidence of head wounds from falling bullets."

Links