Jury awards dead BG family 300k

This is a discussion on Jury awards dead BG family 300k within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The entire country in any population center is becoming rampantly liberal like a zombie viral infection hit the nation. And the centers pumping out this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Jury awards dead BG family 300k

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    The entire country in any population center is becoming rampantly liberal like a zombie viral infection hit the nation. And the centers pumping out this disgusting disease is American universities. I truly believe and know that the American government school system is responsible for the initial crack addiction of entitlement and social radicalization of our youth. The icing on the cake is the universities where they simply polish the rough work and send it on the street to ruin our nation.

Go and read a few books and educate yourselves on just how horribly government propagandized our public school system is in this country.

Dare to argue with me?
    HotGuns likes this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The deceased meth head would have turned his life around. He would have become a truly productive citizen; most likely an airline pilot or medical doctor.
    He would have become a congressman or a mayor...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I wish it was as simple as liberals vs conservatives or the public education system or whatever, but it's not. There are counties in Mississippi and Alabama that are as conservative as you are going to find but companies avoid going to trial there because they know the juries treat awards like a chance to win the lottery. Malpractice insurance for an Obstetrician practicing in Nebraska runs about $12,000 a year. In Dade and Broward counties in Florida, it's $208,000 a year and those figures are from 2002. The plain truth is that greed doesn't belong to a political party and too many people in this country want something for nothing.
    Tzadik likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Seriously?
    People really need to educate themselves on the subject of jury nullification.

did they shoot at the BG and kill one, yes.
    are they guilty or a crime, NO.

BG's actions cause said result. blame them.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I know I'm gonna get attacked for this, but did this crack head pose an immediate life-threatening danger to the owners that they felt their only recourse was deadly force? Am I missing something...? Today in Detroit we just had a security guard at a Social Security off shoot a suspect who allegedly was breaking in to cars... The suspect was running away... I am 100% for gun rights and the right to defend myself and my family. I carry. I am an NRA member, but come on....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    I know I'm gonna get attacked for this, but did this crack head pose an immediate life-threatening danger to the owners that they felt their only recourse was deadly force? Am I missing something...? Today in Detroit we just had a security guard at a Social Security off shoot a suspect who allegedly was breaking in to cars... The suspect was running away... I am 100% for gun rights and the right to defend myself and my family. I carry. I am an NRA member, but come on....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    No, he didn't pose a threat. However, a grand jury refused to return a criminal indictment in the case, so the defendents escaped any criminal action by the courts. That's where the civil lawsuit came in. The award to the man's family for things such as "future lost wages" appears to have been excessive. That's my opinion.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    No, he didn't pose a threat. However, a grand jury refused to return a criminal indictment in the case, so the defendents escaped any criminal action by the courts. That's where the civil lawsuit came in. The award to the man's family for things such as "future lost wages" appears to have been excessive. That's my opinion.
    a bit excessive is a mild understatment. just what is the yearly income of the avrage crack head now? and where did they find that information? award the child $1. I find it very repulsive to award any money in a case like this. that is your risk when you are in that line of work.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

This verdict has nothing to do with schools. It has everything to do with the me first attitude that is taking over. It's destroying the basic family structure, basic civility is going away, and it has nothing to do with political affiliation.

I've seen just as many people of both affiliations abusing the welfare system this nation has.

It also has to do with people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions. They think if they make someone else be responsible for their poor decisions, maybe someone will do the same to them. A sad state of affairs. It was a mindset I had to argue against on the criminal trial I was juror on. It was a somewhat complicated scenario fueled by alcohol and stupidity.

Still, the guy who was confronted stabbed the person confronting them. Had he stopped and stayed in his house, it would have been self defense. However, he chased the guy across his yard and stabbed him in the street. That was crossing the line. It's something that I think about when I go over SD scenarios, and how I will potentially respond.

VIP Member
    Boy are they gonna be pissed when they find out the money awarded will affect their food stamps and low income housing.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Good.
    Maybe now all the crackheads will leave my city and move to Colorado Springs.
    You reap what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Boy are they gonna be pissed when they find out the money awarded will affect their food stamps and low income housing.
    No way.
    When have freebies ever been cut? Colorado Springs will just raise taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    a bit excessive is a mild understatment. just what is the yearly income of the avrage crack head now? and where did they find that information? award the child $1. I find it very repulsive to award any money in a case like this. that is your risk when you are in that line of work.
    I don't disagree with you. My statement "The award to the man's family for things such as "future lost wages" appears to have been excessive." should have been viewed as gentle sarcasm. For one thing, what's the life expectancy of an addict? Also consider that any future "wages" are probably going to involve some type of stealing which appears to be his primary source of income. For those reasons, among others, I don't agree with the amount of the award. Is that any clearer for you?

The reason one who shoots should have a lawyer.

Criminal and civil law are not the same.

I suspect that the jury looked on the award not as a reward but as a punishment.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    The message is pretty clear. Chase and shoot people running from your property at your own peril. And for those who think state law covers them, well the Memphis PD thought state law covered them shooting fleeing felons until the Supreme Court told them in Garner 'no it doesn't.'

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Don't have to worry about this type of verdict in my state, I'm just saying'
    Paco.....el paso is in your state. sadly, Frank was wrong.....It can happen here

just saying

just saying this is another example of the wrongness that permeates America today.
    perhaps the owners were a bit zealous, but if the thieves had not been there--
    the owners would not have shot them. that concept should be simple enough for any jury to understand.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    The reason one who shoots should have a lawyer.

Criminal and civil law are not the same.

I suspect that the jury looked on the award not as a reward but as a punishment.
    It's hard to say what the members of a jury are thinking unless they tell you after the verdict. Most people think the OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony criminal verdicts were wrong. Anytime that you take a case before a jury, there are no guarantees. You're right. Even if you avoid criminal prosecution, you may need a lawyer. Castle doctrine may protect you from civil liability when you are in your home, but once you leave your castle, you can be very vulnerable. I heard of a case where a man shot an armed robber in self defense and before the man's "grieving" family held his funeral services they had already filed a civil suit against the man who shot him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links