Jury awards dead BG family 300k

This is a discussion on Jury awards dead BG family 300k within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw a news story where the property owners had made detailed plans to trap the robbers, who had robbed them repeatedly. They had ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Jury awards dead BG family 300k

I just saw a news story where the property owners had made detailed plans to trap the robbers, who had robbed them repeatedly.

They had made dumb statements, according to this story, about how they would deal with them.

Most jurisdictions take a dim view of entrapment where violence is part of the plan.

If they had set up a security camera system or something similar.....but setting a trap that ends in a death or maiming is frowned on.

They are really lucky they did not get charged by the grand jury.

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad that in Michigan, if its a clean shot, and you are not criminally responsible, the law shields you from civil responsibility as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Hopefully this will be appealed and overturned. If the DA refused to press charges because it was in his interpretation of the law, justified, then there should be no civil liability. Thankfully Wisconsin has remedied this non-sensical situation by providing civil immunity to all persons who use lethal force ruled as justified.

Such a travesty of justince, or an act of injustice. This shows what happens when people like us skate on jury duty. One person with our mindset could have changed the verdict.
    Yeah, I don't see that happening. Civil suit, totally irrespective of a criminal case.

Sounds like what Colorado needs is an immunity law like in Missouri, Michigan, Florida and several others. As part of castle doctrine, if the state does not charge you in a criminal case, the family can not sue you civilly for any damages.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I don't disagree with you. My statement "The award to the man's family for things such as "future lost wages" appears to have been excessive." should have been viewed as gentle sarcasm. For one thing, what's the life expectancy of an addict? Also consider that any future "wages" are probably going to involve some type of stealing which appears to be his primary source of income. For those reasons, among others, I don't agree with the amount of the award. Is that any clearer for you?
    I do not disagree with you eather. the suit the award and the lack of any logical thought behind it just boggles the mind.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Senior Moderator
    Does it appear that COMMON SENSE is dead in this country or is it just me?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The lot owner was remiss in his responsibilities as a business owner as well as knowing the laws regarding deadly force, even though there wasn't enough evidence for a grand jury to indict him.

(No charges against car lot owner killing, grand jury decides | jury, grand, car - Top Stories - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO)

Hopefully the 'award' will be reduced to an amount within reason of common sense, say, $5,000? This was nothing but a lame feel-good jury verdict, IMO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Paco.....el paso is in your state. sadly, Frank was wrong.....It can happen here

just saying

just saying this is another example of the wrongness that permeates America today.
    perhaps the owners were a bit zealous, but if the thieves had not been there--
    the owners would not have shot them. that concept should be simple enough for any jury to understand.
    Ummm, claude? That's El Paso County in Colorado...just saying.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Does it appear that COMMON SENSE is dead in this country or is it just me?
    No, it's not just you. Common sense died a long time ago. I'm not sure exactly what killed it. I had a former employer who thought that Dr Benjamin Spock's bestselling book "Baby and Childcare" published in 1946 was to blame for a lot of what we see now. If you wanted a liberal, Spock was the epitome of one and his thoughts on childcare and how to raise children influenced a whole generation. Those babies have become adults now and we can see how well that has turned out.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links