BAD: Shooting at neighborhood drag race

This is a discussion on BAD: Shooting at neighborhood drag race within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here are two accounts of the same story. What's really bad is an undercover, county deputy got hit/injured. Drag Race Shooting Kills 1 Person, Injures ...

Thread: BAD: Shooting at neighborhood drag race

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Here are two accounts of the same story. What's really bad is an undercover, county deputy got hit/injured.

Drag Race Shooting Kills 1 Person, Injures Deputy - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

Dearborn man killed, sheriff's deputy injured after drag race shooting

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Here are two accounts of the same story. What's really bad is an undercover, county deputy got hit/injured.

Drag Race Shooting Kills 1 Person, Injures Deputy - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

Dearborn man killed, sheriff's deputy injured after drag race shooting
    From the first story;
    Two women who live in a nearby neighborhood said they often hear gunfire during the Saturday night drag races. "That's normal to us. This is common neighborhood normalcy," said one woman.
    Wow.

From the second story;
    Nearby businessman Steve Orow says sometimes hundreds of people come to watch the cars race on Friday and Saturday nights.
    A 23-year old man from Dearborn was among the crowd early Sunday morning. His friends say they asked him not to go, but he wanted to see the action.
    Not to so sound cold hearted about it but he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It appears he was aware of the "action", i.e., danger and sacrificed his safety for the sake of being entertained.

Avoiding places where there is frequent gunfire is a preventive measure that is easily implemented - assuming its not the neighborhood you live in and in that case, you need to move.

I'm still not sure how the deputy was injured. The stories were vague and left out a lot of details.

RKM
    The "normal sounds of gunfire" is probably back fires or "2-step" launches.

EVO 9 GT3OR STRAIGHT PIPE 2 STEP - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post

Good call. It could be something like this that others are reporting as gunshot. As much as I like drag racing, I believe I would avoid an event like this that is taking place in the middle of the night. As exciting as it might be to watch the races, I am skeptical about the people that might be in the crowd. Crowds that are supervised at legal venues are bad enough and have enough dangers of their own that make me cautious of them, never-mind, being in the middle of an un-supervised crowd gathering around at an illegal activity.

That cannot be healthy for that engine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    That cannot be healthy for that engine.....
    A candle that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long.

RKM
    2-step is not too bad. Now anti-lag... that KILLS turbo's. Evo engines are pretty strong. What's bad for them it dumping the clutch, doing an AWD launch. They shatter clutches and t-cases all the time. As a matter of fact, my Evo is having it's clutch replaced right now. Not because of launches though... I personally don't drag race. I used to go out and do that stuff when I was younger with my past cars... but no more :)

But anyway, I'm going to assume that there aren't frequent gun shots going off every night. Maybe the night the article is written about. But gunfire as a "normal occurrence"... I doubt it.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    But anyway, I'm going to assume that there aren't frequent gun shots going off every night. Maybe the night the article is written about. But gunfire as a "normal occurrence"... I doubt it.
    Uhh, I beg to differ. If you need proof, come on up and spend a couple of (summer) nights in da 'hood. You'd be amazed at what you see and hear.

Sponsored Links