GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

This is a discussion on GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth This story hits home to me in several ways. It took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

This story hits home to me in several ways.
    • It took place in my metroplex
    • I also sell a lot of things on craigslist
    • I sell the exact same product(s) that were involved here.

My fear has always been the bad guys would pull a weapon while they are inside my home. I never put much thought into them doing it outside in their car. What I find particularly odd is how the man walked back inside his house, then brought them the iPad. I think had I been in the same circumstance and the BG already had the draw on me, I'd walk back into my house, lock the doors, yell at my wife to call 911 while I start pulling extra guns and magazines out of the gun safe to prepare for battle.

Still, at least the victim wasn't harmed and the crooks were caught. So the story ended up okay.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Just another sign of the times.

I agree, they would not like the results if they tried to come in the house.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I warned my son about this very thing not two months ago. He has a boatload of expensive music gear and occasionally uses CL. Some transactions do require the buyer to come by for furniture, etc. but I'm very R.E.D. (...from the movie title).
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Not to hijack the thread, but what is it about Craigslist that seems to invite so much trouble? A friend advertised a car on CL and met potential buyers at a neutral site. They liked the car, but things got testy when they demanded he accept the nineteen thousand bucks (yes, $19K) they had in cash in a dufflebag... he had other ideas, like a certified bank check. They got aggressive, he slipped his hand onto his holstered sidearm (but didn't show it) and "invited" them to leave the parking lot before he did.

There have been numerous other Craigslist misadventures that I've come across that have had far worse outcomes. Sure doesn't encourage me to use it, but what is the reason for all the trouble?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I think it is just the nature of the beast. CL puts people wishing to sell desirable things in contact with those who wish to purchase or steal them.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is it about Craigslist that seems to invite so much trouble?
    Simplicity. Availability. Anonymity.

There have been numerous other Craigslist misadventures that I've come across that have had far worse outcomes. Sure doesn't encourage me to use it, but what is the reason for all the trouble?
    I think it is very similar to news stories about guns. You only hear the bad stories, because it isn't interesting to talk about the millions of people who don't use their guns for crime. I have sold hundreds, perhaps thousands of computers on craigslist. I've never had any problem. Sure, I've had arguments with people. For example, one guy called me, checked the price and specifications and agreed to come buy it. But when he arrived, insisted I take $50 off the price because he had to drive from 50 miles away. I told him he should have discussed that up front because he knew the price and how far it was for him to drive. He cussed me out and left. I think that is the worst encounter I've had. I've also had on more than one occasion an entire family of hispanics arrive in a van or something and file about 10 people into my living room. I'd probably have not allowed it but half of them were children, so I doubted they planned to do anything violent. But it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

As always, my wife and I are both carrying concealed when these people come over.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is it about Craigslist that seems to invite so much trouble? A friend advertised a car on CL and met potential buyers at a neutral site. They liked the car, but things got testy when they demanded he accept the nineteen thousand bucks (yes, $19K) they had in cash in a dufflebag... he had other ideas, like a certified bank check. They got aggressive, he slipped his hand onto his holstered sidearm (but didn't show it) and "invited" them to leave the parking lot before he did.

I agree that CL does appear to be part of the low-life's shoppers network.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I think it is very similar to news stories about guns. You only hear the bad stories, because it isn't interesting to talk about the millions of people who don't use their guns for crime. I have sold hundreds, perhaps thousands of computers on craigslist. I've never had any problem. Sure, I've had arguments with people. For example, one guy called me, checked the price and specifications and agreed to come buy it. But when he arrived, insisted I take $50 off the price because he had to drive from 50 miles away. I told him he should have discussed that up front because he knew the price and how far it was for him to drive. He cussed me out and left. I think that is the worst encounter I've had. I've also had on more than one occasion an entire family of hispanics arrive in a van or something and file about 10 people into my living room. I'd probably have not allowed it but half of them were children, so I doubted they planned to do anything violent. But it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

As always, my wife and I are both carrying concealed when these people come over.
    For the part I highlighted. While what you say may be true for some there are many of us who believe we only need to prepare for the worst. We need to know the dangers so we can prepare for them.
    I watch storms so that I can take precautions to protect myself man my belongings. Tracking good weather serves no purpose to me. The same goes for posters of children who are not missing and people who have not committed crimes. We need to be alerted about the bad to prepare. If its good whats to prepare for?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think it is just the nature of the beast. CL puts people wishing to sell desirable things in contact with those who wish to purchase or steal them.
    Its like online shopping for thieves. Lets them pick out what they want in the comfort of their own home. The same thing that attracts many of us to the ease of online shopping.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post

What's wrong with hispanics? Would you have been less uncomfortable had it been a family of 10 white people?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    What's wrong with hispanics? Would you have been less uncomfortable had it been a family of 10 white people?
    I wouldn't.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Are you looking to dance?

They are just like anyone else, the good ones are great and the bad ones are a PITA. That's from a gabacho with a decade and a half on the streets of East L.A.

No, it isn't the race that made me feel uncomfortable, just the number of people. However, I point out hispanics because so far every time it has happened it has always been hispanics. They seem to travel together as whole families, where if it were a white/black/asian person they would have porbably left the family at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links