GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

This is a discussion on GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth This story hits home to me in several ways. It took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array adric22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,146

    GOOD: Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

    Craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

    This story hits home to me in several ways.
    • It took place in my metroplex
    • I also sell a lot of things on craigslist
    • I sell the exact same product(s) that were involved here.


    My fear has always been the bad guys would pull a weapon while they are inside my home. I never put much thought into them doing it outside in their car. What I find particularly odd is how the man walked back inside his house, then brought them the iPad. I think had I been in the same circumstance and the BG already had the draw on me, I'd walk back into my house, lock the doors, yell at my wife to call 911 while I start pulling extra guns and magazines out of the gun safe to prepare for battle.

    Still, at least the victim wasn't harmed and the crooks were caught. So the story ended up okay.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Just another sign of the times.

    I agree, they would not like the results if they tried to come in the house.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,592
    I warned my son about this very thing not two months ago. He has a boatload of expensive music gear and occasionally uses CL. Some transactions do require the buyer to come by for furniture, etc. but I'm very R.E.D. (...from the movie title).
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  5. #4
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,147
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is it about Craigslist that seems to invite so much trouble? A friend advertised a car on CL and met potential buyers at a neutral site. They liked the car, but things got testy when they demanded he accept the nineteen thousand bucks (yes, $19K) they had in cash in a dufflebag... he had other ideas, like a certified bank check. They got aggressive, he slipped his hand onto his holstered sidearm (but didn't show it) and "invited" them to leave the parking lot before he did.

    There have been numerous other Craigslist misadventures that I've come across that have had far worse outcomes. Sure doesn't encourage me to use it, but what is the reason for all the trouble?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I think it is just the nature of the beast. CL puts people wishing to sell desirable things in contact with those who wish to purchase or steal them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member
    Array Xader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is it about Craigslist that seems to invite so much trouble?
    Simplicity. Availability. Anonymity.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array adric22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There have been numerous other Craigslist misadventures that I've come across that have had far worse outcomes. Sure doesn't encourage me to use it, but what is the reason for all the trouble?
    I think it is very similar to news stories about guns. You only hear the bad stories, because it isn't interesting to talk about the millions of people who don't use their guns for crime. I have sold hundreds, perhaps thousands of computers on craigslist. I've never had any problem. Sure, I've had arguments with people. For example, one guy called me, checked the price and specifications and agreed to come buy it. But when he arrived, insisted I take $50 off the price because he had to drive from 50 miles away. I told him he should have discussed that up front because he knew the price and how far it was for him to drive. He cussed me out and left. I think that is the worst encounter I've had. I've also had on more than one occasion an entire family of hispanics arrive in a van or something and file about 10 people into my living room. I'd probably have not allowed it but half of them were children, so I doubted they planned to do anything violent. But it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

    As always, my wife and I are both carrying concealed when these people come over.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is it about Craigslist that seems to invite so much trouble? A friend advertised a car on CL and met potential buyers at a neutral site. They liked the car, but things got testy when they demanded he accept the nineteen thousand bucks (yes, $19K) they had in cash in a dufflebag... he had other ideas, like a certified bank check. They got aggressive, he slipped his hand onto his holstered sidearm (but didn't show it) and "invited" them to leave the parking lot before he did.

    There have been numerous other Craigslist misadventures that I've come across that have had far worse outcomes. Sure doesn't encourage me to use it, but what is the reason for all the trouble?
    I agree that CL does appear to be part of the low-life's shoppers network.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I think it is very similar to news stories about guns. You only hear the bad stories, because it isn't interesting to talk about the millions of people who don't use their guns for crime. I have sold hundreds, perhaps thousands of computers on craigslist. I've never had any problem. Sure, I've had arguments with people. For example, one guy called me, checked the price and specifications and agreed to come buy it. But when he arrived, insisted I take $50 off the price because he had to drive from 50 miles away. I told him he should have discussed that up front because he knew the price and how far it was for him to drive. He cussed me out and left. I think that is the worst encounter I've had. I've also had on more than one occasion an entire family of hispanics arrive in a van or something and file about 10 people into my living room. I'd probably have not allowed it but half of them were children, so I doubted they planned to do anything violent. But it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

    As always, my wife and I are both carrying concealed when these people come over.
    For the part I highlighted. While what you say may be true for some there are many of us who believe we only need to prepare for the worst. We need to know the dangers so we can prepare for them.
    I watch storms so that I can take precautions to protect myself man my belongings. Tracking good weather serves no purpose to me. The same goes for posters of children who are not missing and people who have not committed crimes. We need to be alerted about the bad to prepare. If its good whats to prepare for?

    Michael

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think it is just the nature of the beast. CL puts people wishing to sell desirable things in contact with those who wish to purchase or steal them.
    Its like online shopping for thieves. Lets them pick out what they want in the comfort of their own home. The same thing that attracts many of us to the ease of online shopping.

    Michael

  12. #11
    Member Array ChrisMia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I think it is very similar to news stories about guns. You only hear the bad stories, because it isn't interesting to talk about the millions of people who don't use their guns for crime. I have sold hundreds, perhaps thousands of computers on craigslist. I've never had any problem. Sure, I've had arguments with people. For example, one guy called me, checked the price and specifications and agreed to come buy it. But when he arrived, insisted I take $50 off the price because he had to drive from 50 miles away. I told him he should have discussed that up front because he knew the price and how far it was for him to drive. He cussed me out and left. I think that is the worst encounter I've had. I've also had on more than one occasion an entire family of hispanics arrive in a van or something and file about 10 people into my living room. I'd probably have not allowed it but half of them were children, so I doubted they planned to do anything violent. But it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

    As always, my wife and I are both carrying concealed when these people come over.
    What's wrong with hispanics? Would you have been less uncomfortable had it been a family of 10 white people?

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    What's wrong with hispanics? Would you have been less uncomfortable had it been a family of 10 white people?
    I wouldn't.

    Michael

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    What's wrong with hispanics? Would you have been less uncomfortable had it been a family of 10 white people?
    Are you looking to dance?

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    They are just like anyone else, the good ones are great and the bad ones are a PITA. That's from a gabacho with a decade and a half on the streets of East L.A.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array adric22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    What's wrong with hispanics? Would you have been less uncomfortable had it been a family of 10 white people?
    No, it isn't the race that made me feel uncomfortable, just the number of people. However, I point out hispanics because so far every time it has happened it has always been hispanics. They seem to travel together as whole families, where if it were a white/black/asian person they would have porbably left the family at home.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

craigslist seller robbed at gunpoint, then tracks thieves

,

craigslist thief fort worth

,

craigslist thieves rob at gun point

,

the good and bads of craigslist

Click on a term to search for related topics.