Bad - Charges Filed in Florida Youth Football Brawl

This is a discussion on Bad - Charges Filed in Florida Youth Football Brawl within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police in Florida have filed charges against four people for brawling at a football game -- all over a disputed call in a Sarasota Little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bad - Charges Filed in Florida Youth Football Brawl

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Bad - Charges Filed in Florida Youth Football Brawl

Police in Florida have filed charges against four people for brawling at a football game -- all over a disputed call in a Sarasota Little League game.

The Aug. 27 game between two teams of 13- and 14-year-olds turned violent when one of the Sarasota Gators' coaches came off the sideline and, according to the police, began verbally assaulting the referee, Jayme Ream, who then ended the game. The coach responded by throwing a water bottle at the ref, prompting other people to join the melee.

The brawl grew as people continued to come off the sideline, including a 14-year-old Gators player who tackled the ref to the ground.

In a press conference today, the referee, who fractured his shoulder in the fight, says he believes emotions simply got out of control during the game, but he plans to continue officiating in the league.
    Charges Filed in Florida Youth Football Brawl - ABC News
    This is ridiculous. I maintain my position that crowds can be dangerous; people in crowds easily assume a mob mentality and exhibit behavior that they never would display if they were acting alone. Never assume that an assailant has to be 20 years old or older.

These people were, IMO, acting like wild animals. Its ashame the ref didn't have a healthy can of OC he could've willed and dispersed the crowd long enough to avoid injury. Disparity of force definitely comes into play with this scenario but it may be questionable as to what extent the ref could have exhibited and continued to be well within the boundaries of legalities.

Charges have been filed and rightly so.
    Old School and gottabkiddin like this.

2. Remove Ads

The coach responded by throwing a water bottle at the ref, prompting other people to join the melee.
    I hope the coach is charged accordingly for inciting the crowd.

Michael

The coach should be suspended, indefinitely.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Most often it is the adults and not the kids who start such crap.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Parents can no doubt be the worst part of youth sports.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

On the radio today (70 miles north of Sarasota) a lot of Sarasota folks gave their opinion. The coach felt that the ref made some bad calls. it was pointed out that the coach was throwing things at the ref earlier.
    The ref expelled the coach, and that's when all hell broke loose.
    Then the coach charged the field and the kid hit the ref.
    Has anyone in YOUR media mentioned that all the mob was black, and the ref was white?
    Some felt race played a part, some didn't..
    There were black refs and they were not harmed.
    Regardless, many in the Sarasota area feel that the league has gotten out of control.

Personally, I'm glad the ref is filing charges.

There are many angles of people recording this episode, so I hope the court doesn't whitewash this. (no pun intended).

"Has anyone in YOUR media mentioned that all the mob was black, and the ref was white?
    Some felt race played a part, some didn't.."

Not that I have heard or read.

The police are filing the charges which in the state of Florida are felonies.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I refereed soccer for about 12 years...and adults could get real bad...

I never had any rush the field...but the language was the kind I would have thrown a player out for using...

Living in Northern Virginia, there is a large immigrant population from all over the world...including most soccer crazy countries...

The worst parents were the Americans who knew little to nothing about soccer...

But, it was good exercise and since I'm a big guy...I was really only threatened once...by an adult player from Jamaica after I tossed him for violent play...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

"[Has anyone in YOUR media mentioned that all the mob was black, and the ref was white?]" SHHHH Someone might get As This stuff NEVER happens
    H/D
    Old School and RETSUPT99 like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Come on...let's keep this politically correct...NOT!
    The adults deserve lengthy jail time.
    Nothing but a bunch of animals.OMOYMV
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 3rd, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw the video of this......crazy. If I was the ref and saw that kid coming and knew what he was gonna do, i would have hip tossed him through the goal post. The kid that tackled him knew what he was doing, and what the end result of his actions would have been. I would say a bambi bucket of OC dropped in the crowd would have been a good call
    DefConGun likes this.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

The coach that pitched the bottle doesn't need to ever be a coach again and charged with assault. The punk that did the tackle deserves his butt kicked big time by his father, and I mean big time!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The expression "little league dad" isn't a complement. My son was in Little League exactly one season because the parents were just plain awful to be around. Loud, rude, calling people names, shouting at refs, opposing teams players - it was not a pleasant experience for myself or my son. That was 30 years ago, apparently it isn't any better today.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The adults as well as the kids that got involved all deserve some jail time and i hope the referee files a lawsuit against all of them.

I used to ref Minneapolis City League basketball. I never had problems with the kids, just their parents. Final straw was during a game, with both teams all black kids, one coach accused me of being racist because he felt I was not calling it fair for both teams. Never mind his team was a bunch of thugs, but I was racist for not calling fouls against the other team. As he had a melt down and had to be held back, I walk over to a league official and told him, never again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links