Man Fatally Shot By Police Was Carrying Toy Rifle - Page 2

Man Fatally Shot By Police Was Carrying Toy Rifle

This is a discussion on Man Fatally Shot By Police Was Carrying Toy Rifle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Magnum That's pathetic, no wonder our country is so screwed. Please cite what reputable defensive firearms instructors advocate shooting for the leg ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Man Fatally Shot By Police Was Carrying Toy Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    That's pathetic, no wonder our country is so screwed.
    Please cite what reputable defensive firearms instructors advocate shooting for the leg or arm? You shoot to stop the threat; you aim for center of mass. Why is that a problem? Ironic, given your signature block....or do you plan to give "them" the bullets first in boxes?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Cops shoot and kill old ladies with screwdrivers, young girls waking up in cars with cell phones (41 shots fired) in their hands, and unarmed grooms at weddings, and on and on it goes.
    I thought I kept up on weird shootings, and I've never heard of those. I don't doubt you, but the case in hand, the cops did the right thing.
    Blame the ACLU for keeping disturbed people out on the streets.

Update.
    I looked for the info on the killings you reported. The homeless old (??, 55) lady with a screwdriver shooting did happen. I had to dig deep since it was in 1999 and was on a anti-government, pro Ron Paul web site. (Meaning maybe the whole story wasn't told in an unbiased manner.) Not that the police should be excused. Cops do a lot of bad things too.

I never excuse them. However, 1999 does not qualify as "on and on." IMO.

The young girl waking up in a car, also had a gun in her lap. You forgot to mention that. Unless I found a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    [I]If I did hear of someone shooting for the leg or foot when threatened with a broom handle, I would say they are seriously in need of re-training. A broom handle can be a deadly weapon.
    If I did hear of someone killing someone when threatened with a broom handle, I would hope that they have a very good lawyer.

Another wrinkle to add to this story is that Miami Beach police have been under a great deal of scrutiny lately for a variety of conduct: unloading on and killing a driver during Memorial Day weekend, smashing/confiscating camera phones when believed to have been used to record officer/citizen interactions, getting drunk and running over beachgoers while giving brides-to-be joyrides on the beach in an ATV, etc . . . this seems to be another coal in the fire of what has become a very tense relationship out here.

And as for the comment above on blaming the ACLU for keeping disturbed people out on the streets, that's a pretty disturbing comment. Would you suggest keeping mentally ill people locked up in rubber rooms or under 24-7 supervision? What if it were your son/daughter? Who knows, maybe the mentally disturbed person is a homeless Vietnam vet with PTSD, who served his country with honor and fell through the cracks upon return?

It's very easy to take the cheap shot, but keep in mind that others who don't share our views about things (such as firearm ownership for example) could (and do) turn around and say "blame the NRA for keeping armed civilians out on the streets" . . .
    Magnum likes this.

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.

Shoulda shot him in the pinky of his right hand so he would know they wasn't playin when they said drop the gun,Usually people that make a statement about why didn't they just wing him like they do in the movies is usually ignorant of how hard it is to hit a small target under stress,and that wounded people can return fire and kill you,you shoot to stop the threat
    If I had a family member that was mentally challenged I wouldn't be letting him roam the streets with a toy gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Please cite what reputable defensive firearms instructors advocate shooting for the leg or arm? You shoot to stop the threat; you aim for center of mass. Why is that a problem? Ironic, given your signature block....or do you plan to give "them" the bullets first in boxes?
    First, it's obvious that you lack common sense enough to know that my signature is in reference to gun confiscation by our government. And it's obvious by your definition of a reputable firearms instructor that they regard every level of confrontation as life threatening in order to shoot center of mass and kill. It's a problem when people think it's okay to kill rather than engage their brain in an effort to use some common sense and save lives. People like that are dangerous to all living things, and it's because of those people that I carry, trust no-one, especially the police.

Cops shoot and kill old ladies with screwdrivers, young girls waking up in cars with cell phones (41 shots fired) in their hands, and unarmed grooms at weddings, and on and on it goes. Just one time I'd like to hear of the police shooting someone threatening them with a broom handle or a cell phone in the foot or leg to stop them instead of killing them. Just once.
    Wow.

Thanks for displaying your ignorance about the lethality and speed of armed encounters, a complete lack of insight as to the dangers of gunshot wounds and a manifest lack of comprehension about lethal force in general.

First, it's obvious that you lack common sense enough to know that my signature is in reference to gun confiscation by our government. And it's obvious by your definition of a reputable firearms instructor that they regard every level of confrontation as life threatening in order to shoot center of mass and kill. It's a problem when people think it's okay to kill rather than engage their brain in an effort to use some common sense and save lives. People like that are dangerous to all living things, and it's because of those people that I carry, trust no-one, especially the police.
    I've taken several (use-of-force) firearms classes over the years and done considerable reading on my own on the subject. Doesn't make me an expert, but I've never heard anyone who's actually been in shoot/don't shoot situations recommend the "shoot to wound/shoot the gun out of the BG's hand" scenario. And frankly, it shows no common sense to even attempt either of those "solutions", even IF you're a HIGHLY SKILLED police marksman with a telescopically equipped rifle and the BG is dangling his stationary revolver and giving you a clear shot (yeah, I saw the video too, name 1 other time when something like that has happened, outside of "The Lone Ranger" TV program.)

Your logic is flawed considerably, and apparently you have the sort of ego that prevents you from seeing the "reality factor" as it applies to real life situations. I hope you don't get killed "thinking" about things, or allow some innocent to die while you're deciding the best way to gently incapacitate some maniac who doesn't share your sense of civic duty. Believe it or not, YOU are actually one of the dangerous ones.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Wow.

Thanks for displaying your ignorance about the lethality and speed of armed encounters, a complete lack of insight as to the dangers of gunshot wounds and a manifest lack of comprehension about lethal force in general.
    Thanks for displaying your ignorance and lack of reading comprehension.

If the gun clears leather, then yes its COM.. In self defense we are not concerned with the other as much as we are surviving and making sure our families are ok. I understand your anger and your zeal, but a split second is all anyone has. Toy gun or not. They will go down. That is just the way it is. We cannot fault the PD for that. Every occupation has bad apples, but that doesnt make them all bad. I trust no one, but until tyranny comes knocking, I will hold myself in check...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

So, I guess you're not going to answer my question then?

Why are you so angry? It sounds like you need a hug.

A COM shot doesn't mean it's a fatal wound. Secondly, if you're attacked by an armed attacker, how do you plan on stopping him? Threats of a sternly worded note? Ricochet a round off of the ground? Please explain your position, and provide citations to prove your position. What training courses have you attended advocate for NOT shooting COM?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post

Your logic is flawed considerably, and apparently you have the sort of ego that prevents you from seeing the "reality factor" as it applies to real life situations. I hope you don't get killed "thinking" about things, or allow some innocent to die while you're deciding the best way to gently incapacitate some maniac who doesn't share your sense of civic duty. Believe it or not, YOU are actually one of the dangerous ones.
    Well, good luck and have fun with your killing of innocent people. Don't want to waste all that expert training.

[QUOTE=Harryball;2021806]If the gun clears leather, then yes its COM..
    I was talking about un-armed people, innocent people.

Well, good luck and have fun with your killing of innocent people. Don't want to waste all that expert training.
    Ok without getting in trouble with the Mods, please tell me of the Innocent. A weapon directed towards the PD or CCWer, would be reason to take the BG out. How is that killing innocent people? Like I said earlier, there is bad in all occupations, but this guy wasnt an innocent. Sorry man, just not the way I see it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    So, I guess you're not going to answer my question then?

Why are you so angry?
    if you're attacked by an armed attacker, how do you plan on stopping him?
    What armed attacker? I was talking about the non-armed. Why are you so dense? What question didn't I answer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links