Packin' Sauce

This is a discussion on Packin' Sauce within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw this over on THR: http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/15055113.htm Essentially two patrons grab robber, and beat him with applesauce jar... and then he accidentally shoots himself. It inspired ...

Thread: Packin' Sauce

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Packin' Sauce

Saw this over on THR:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/15055113.htm

Essentially two patrons grab robber, and beat him with applesauce jar... and then he accidentally shoots himself.

It inspired me to once again drop the Brady Bunch a note:

Hello

I saw the article linked below, and wondered if your organization had a position on other dangerous weapons besides handguns.

Link: http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/15055113.htm

In the article an armed robber is assaulted with a jar of applesauce by patrons of the store he's robbing.

Obviously, something must be done. Obviously taking away guns from law-abiding citizens wasn't enough. We can't have private citizens beating crimianls with jars of fruit. Perhaps the Brady Campaign should lobby for laws requiring applesauce to be sold in soft plastic bags.

It is nice to see however, that criminals obey laws about not having guns even though they ignore laws against robbery... oh wait, the robber had a gun, didn't he? Oh well.

In any case, I think if your organization was to direct it's efforts towards de-weaponized food products the US would be a much better, and safer, place.

Sincerely,

NAME & LOCATION REMOVED

tanksoldier
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Haha, your Brady Bill ball busting is epic of late.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Didn't this JUST happen someplace else like 3 weeks ago?!?! Seriously. This applesauce crime was has got to stop. These jars of applesauce should be limited to 3 apples per jar and come with child locks. Mandatory.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    And, remember: as long as applesauce continues to be sold in jars to non-LEO's, we not only need to make them come with locks and limit the number of jars of applesauce we can buy at one time, we need waiting periods.

For the children. It's for the children.

So many of them are injured by jars every year- not only with impact wounds, but cut by glass as well.

Write your congressman.

Only low capacity 8 oz jars should be sold in states like California (who know why, just sounds safe.)
    Last edited by INTJ; August 15th, 2006 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Speling

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    It'll be smoked hams next....
    what's the world coming too? ;o)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    what's the world coming too? ;o)
    Oh, good grief! Can you imagine the amount of damage a can of SPAM could do to an innocent criminal just trying to fund his drug habit? I'm going to have to stock up before they start putting fruit and meat products directly onto store shelves without packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    It inspired me to once again drop the Brady Bunch a note:
    I can bet we appreciate the letter more than the BB does. Thanks, well written.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    limited capacity jars in california lmao we also will have to have back ground checks and thumb prints when purchasing fruit buy the jar oh almost forgot coconuts need a class three tax stamp if purchased in there natural form i.e. in the shell think copper might be right about caned meat better runn out and buy a coupla casses of my favorite thats right its spam as we know i live in california and we will be the trend setters of any kind of ignorant bans

Do I have to store the applesauce separatley from the jar when transporting it in my vehicle?

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    What about baby food? When we give apple sauce to infants and youg children in those small glass gerber jars, are we setting a bad example? How many times have you gotten up to get something and left that jar just sitting there?

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    Getting cold-cocked by a 15-lb Virginia ham isn't my idea of a good time.

BG shot himself after being thumped on by the apple sauce ladies? He's going to have a hard time, in prison. Got to love justice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    So does having a jar of apple sauce in a grocerybag constitute a concealed weapon. And if so if a guy doesn't have his permit how much time in the pokey will he get for an illegal concealed weapon?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

No doubt weapons locks will now be required on apple sauce jars. And we've seen this happen before, so it cannot be taken too lightly:
    When condiments are outlawed, only outlaws will have condiments.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Yesterday, my wife bought two quite large glass jars of pickles. I had no idea that she was so well armed. Thankfully, where we live, no permit was required for such dangerous weapons.
    Had I realized their potential lethality, I'd have had her secure them in a suitable safe bolted to the bed of the truck.
    It's scary to think that those jars were just sitting on the floor. They could have jumped out at any moment and attacked someone.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I was going to respond with some witty banter but I'm laughing too hard!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Links