Why Employers Don't Let You Bring Your Gun To Work - Page 2

Why Employers Don't Let You Bring Your Gun To Work

This is a discussion on Why Employers Don't Let You Bring Your Gun To Work within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I am part owner of a convenience store and I have shown new employees the gun I keep below the counter and how it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why Employers Don't Let You Bring Your Gun To Work

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Well, I am part owner of a convenience store and I have shown new employees the gun I keep below the counter and how it works (description only), and never shot anyone. It shouldn't take high intelligence not to shoot someone, but these stories make me wonder. I know it isn't intelligence, it is knowing and following the simple rules -- some folks are simply too arrogant to think they have to follow them.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've never heard of a convenience store that would allow guns. It's a firing offense. They expect you to just stand there and be robbed. Which in itself wouldn't be all that bad because it's company money but these days BG is just as likely to shoot you anyway, just because. If that was a chain store I'd say boss is about to be fired.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I'd love to be the fly on the wall when this "workers Comp" claim is being evaluated.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Not all convenience stores are chain stores, many are "Mom and Pop" stores that are individually owned. At those, being armed is your choice. There are a lot more of these than you think, for example ours is a Shell station and appears like a chain store; but we own it.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Let's just keep this simple:

Don't play with guns. They're not toys.
    8th ID likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I've never heard of a convenience store that would allow guns. It's a firing offense. They expect you to just stand there and be robbed. Which in itself wouldn't be all that bad because it's company money but these days BG is just as likely to shoot you anyway, just because. If that was a chain store I'd say boss is about to be fired.
    How many threads have you read on this forum that went along the lines of "My company has a policy of no guns at work, but I want to carry my Glock 19 concealed. What should I do?" There's always, several posts along the lines of "the decision is yours, which is more valuable your job or your life".

The manager may have figured jobs for convenience store managers aren't that hard to come by and decided to carry anyway or it may be an independent store and he actually owns it.

But, I'm betting the gun was new to him. He hasn't trained with it. And it was probably a Glock. Glocks are good weapons but they seem to be less forgiving of "the stupids" than some of the other makes.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Not all convenience stores are chain stores, many are "Mom and Pop" stores that are individually owned. At those, being armed is your choice. There are a lot more of these than you think, for example ours is a Shell station and appears like a chain store; but we own it.
    There are quite a few like yours in my area also. It can be a good little business to be in. Most of the owners of the "independents" in my area are armed also, but they generally make it a rule that they don't shoot their employees.
    accessbob likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links