robbery victim shot by police.

This is a discussion on robbery victim shot by police. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Charlotte Observer Story Not a CCW holder, but the victim picked up a LEO's dropped BUG and didn't put it down when ordered... another LEO ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: robbery victim shot by police.

robbery victim shot by police.

Charlotte Observer Story

Not a CCW holder, but the victim picked up a LEO's dropped BUG and didn't put it down when ordered... another LEO shot the robbery victim. Shot at him several times missed all but one shot in the leg...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Wow, that's just a bad situation all around...the info on the Tasers is pretty interesting too...I didn't think there was ever a death that was actually proven to be related to the use of a taser
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Wow, that's just a bad situation all around...the info on the Tasers is pretty interesting too...I didn't think there was ever a death that was actually proven to be related to the use of a taser
    IIRC there have been 2 in Charlotte in the last year. The took all the Tasers off the street. I doubt that would have made a difference here either way.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Really surprised the others in the car did not bail when the first responder went after the runner.

Weird.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Well, taser related deaths are caused by other health conditions. A simple rule of thumb, when a cop tells you to surrender, you may want to no matter what you think. If you fail to comply then bad things can happen. Tasers save far more lives than they have accidently cost.

Anytime they pull the Tasers from the troops you can bet that some political pressure from the "victims" representative was used.

I suppose we could go back to "choke holds" and "Kel lights" though to be honest I missed the 24" coco bolo night sticks.

Tasers work and they work as intended.

I took the 5 second ride to get certified by my department to carry one.

No fun but when it's over it's over.

Medical problems on the part of the one that is tased cause the issues that make the headlines.

If you don't want to be tased remember the eleventh commandment, " thou shalt not fight with the police".

P.S.

When the police tell you to "drop the gun".... drop the gun !

P.S.S.

Make sure your BUG is properly secured just like every other weapon you carry.

OS
    wmhawth likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The reasons I posted this as not for the taser information, though I did find that interesting (And COMPLETELY UNRELATED to the story. "The "press" these days, sheesh), were 3...

1. The victim of a robbery got shot by LEO, because he was holding a weapon and would not drop it, put it down, whatever.
      Victim probably not accustomed to handling weapons, might have been "shocky," or otherwise addled because of the action during the robbery attempt. Think about this if you should ever have to defend yourself when the police arrive... put the weapon down or otherwise secure it.

2. LEO's BUG lost in initial scuffle...
      Those of us who carry 2 guns (I don't) have to worry about weapons retention on 2 fronts... how many hands you got?

3. Communication: LEO 1 tells LEO 2 to tell robbery victim to drop the weapon... Victim does not, gets shot by LEO 2.
      If LEO happens on scene (somebody else called 911 or he just happened by the scene) in your altercation before you have secured your weapon, while you need to comply with his orders IMMEDIATELY, You ALSO need to communicate that the other person is the criminal, that you were afraid for your life etc... It needs to be CLEAR to LEO that YOU are the victim... That the other(s) are the criminals.
    Hopyard, mlr1m, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I didn't think there was ever a death that was actually proven to be related to the use of a taser
    I've had cops tell me that too. I guess that's what they are taught.
    They say anyone harmed by a Taser is on drugs.
    Cops should not be using them as discipline.

It sounds like a general CF to me.
    Last edited by Guantes; September 13th, 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Eagleks likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I've had cops tell me that too. I guess that's what they are taught.
    They say anyone harmed by a Taser is on drugs.
    Cops should not be using them as discipline.
    Usually they just attribute the death to post arrest stress...which I may kind of agree with since the deaths occur much later, if the Taser caused it by the electrical charge they would go into cardiac arrest right away, not hours later. Sorry OP, I know this wasn't your intent of the article and it's really an unrelated topic.

Moral of the story: if a cop tells you to do something, DO IT! You can ask questions later if you so desire but the heat of the moment isn't the time to do it.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I'd venture to say the majority of the general public would fail to immediately comply in that situation, simply because they have no experience in the instant, willing, obedience to orders. Most have had each instruction since childhood rationalized and explained to them to keep from hurting their self-esteem. Instead of compliance, they would respond as taught, with an attempt at explanation, and apparently, get shot!

According to police: "Officer Skipper told Officer Blue to tell the man to drop the weapon. Officer Blue at the time was unaware that the man holding the gun was in fact the victim of a robbery."

Blue repeatedly told the man to drop the weapon, police said, "at which time the robbery victim turned towards the officers and pointed the weapon directly at them." Blue fired three times, according to police, striking the victim once in the leg.
    Standard answer 101. Uh huh. Sounds like bad assessment of the situation to me, and then cya.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Good for the victim that the cop wasn't any better shot.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It sounds like a general CF to me.

Big time...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    One of the articles had a comment that the victim who was shot did not speak english very well. This is another reason we need immigrants to get assimilated as quickly as possible. Police officers can't know every language and be expected to use them in stressful situations. Immigrants put themselves at risk if they do not have a good command of english in more ways than this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links