Marine who saved dozens to receive Medal of Honor

This is a discussion on Marine who saved dozens to receive Medal of Honor within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thank God there are still people like this Marine who saved dozens to get Medal of Honor - US news - Life - Military - ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tomtsr

Thread: Marine who saved dozens to receive Medal of Honor

Marine who saved dozens to receive Medal of Honor

Thank God there are still people like this

Marine who saved dozens to get Medal of Honor - US news - Life - Military - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — In 2009, Dakota Meyer made five death-defying forays into a heavy-fire zone in Afghanistan's Ganjgal Valley to save American and Afghan troops.
    On Thursday, he’ll be in a friendly spot — the White House, where he’ll receive the Medal of Honor for his battlefield heroics.
    Wednesday night, the 23-year-old former Marine was far from his southern Kentucky home, sharing a beer with President Barack Obama outside the Oval Office ahead of the ceremony.
    The military says that during six hours of ferocious fighting after an ambush by insurgents on Sept. 8, 2009, Meyer saved 13 Marines and Army soldiers and 23 Afghan soldiers, killed at least eight insurgents and carried from the battle zone the bodies of four fallen comrades — despite being wounded himself.
    And he told NBC News he had to disobey orders to do it.

Thanks to all that do and have served that we may live free.
    Tzadik and Freedom Doc like this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Thank God for Dakota Meyer and all those fine US troops.

The best part is he has been humble through the whole deal, even asking for memorials for his fallen buddies. Like all heroes, he doesn't' think he deserves this medal. That is what makes him "that guy"!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

What a hero!
    They're all heroes in my book.
    Let's bring them home to a hero's welcome, now. They did all they can.
    We could use that leadership here, and they aren't wanted there.

SEMPER FI!!!! makes me proud to have served in the Beloved Corp!!!!!!!

Difficult to find the right words.... he is a hero, and honors himself in the manner that he honors others.
    I think there is no doubt that if he had not done what he did, the results would have been much worse for many.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Another slant on this story is at Report: Ganjgal hero recommended for MoH - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times There were 4 people involved, the 2 other Marines got Navy Crosses which are major awards second only to the MOH. The Army guy was ignored, probably because he was pretty vocal about the Army's lack of involvement when they should have helped. The Marine general in charge is putting Capt. Will Swenson up for a MOH. The army still has to approve.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Some of the local media here are calling this hero an "ex-Marine". GAWD, I hate when they do that.

Links