Grocery store armed robbery

This is a discussion on Grocery store armed robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The reasons why I don't need to be situationally aware and or personally armed is... ...it will never happen in my neighborhood. ...it will never ...

Thread: Grocery store armed robbery

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

The reasons why I don't need to be situationally aware and or personally armed is...
    ...it will never happen in my neighborhood.
    ...it will never happen in broad daylight.
    ...it will never happen when there are other people around.
    ...it will never happen where there is good police coverage.

...yeah, right.

Two armed thieves target woman at Westland Kroger

Fantasy is an effective shield, until pierced by the spear of reality.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yep, the old "Ostrich Defense" is not what it's cracked up to be!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Pff, Westland is not a safe area and hasn't been since 2001 or so LOL
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Pff, Westland is not a safe area and hasn't been since 2001 or so LOL
    Especially, that part of (SE) "Waste-land" that is adjacent to Inkster.

It still makes you think. Even if you are carrying, it's 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon in a Kroger parking lot. You're loading groceries in the back of your SUV. You're outnumbered two to one and their guns are already drawn. They demand your purse/wallet. Now what?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    It still makes you think. Even if you are carrying, it's 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon in a Kroger parking lot. You're loading groceries in the back of your SUV. You're outnumbered two to one and their guns are already drawn. They demand your purse/wallet. Now what?
    Give them your purse/wallet and hope for the best. Get a good description. A holstered gun is no match for two drawn guns pointed at you. The only way I'd draw is if something led me to believe that they were going to shoot me anyway, because at that point, I'd have nothing to lose. A lot depends on the exact set of circumstances.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Give them your purse/wallet and hope for the best. Get a good description. A holstered gun is no match for two drawn guns pointed at you. The only way I'd draw is if something led me to believe that they were going to shoot me anyway, because at that point, I'd have nothing to lose. A lot depends on the exact set of circumstances.
    That's pretty much my thinking. If it's already escalated to that point, you're probably hoping that they don't notice that you are carrying. Situational awareness would probably be your best defense. It's a lot easier to avoid trouble if you see it coming.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Grab the closest gun while kicking the other gun. Use fancy Hollywood martial arts to shoot both perps using BG's gun and finger while holding first BG and shielding yourself behind him. Or something like that.

Sling an SMG?

Actually I think if you go into hyper panic mode, a la a 3 year old who just broke his favorite toy and is hysterically screaming, and take off running, they won't know how to react. Anything is better than just standing there as long as there is an escape route. They aren't they to rub you out, just rob you. Odds are they are not going to shoot if you kick up a cloud of dust making a sudden retreat.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Actually I think if you go into hyper panic mode, a la a 3 year old who just broke his favorite toy and is hysterically screaming, and take off running, they won't know how to react. Anything is better than just standing there as long as there is an escape route. They aren't they to rub you out, just rob you. Odds are they are not going to shoot if you kick up a cloud of dust making a sudden retreat.
    I would rate the odds of this as 50-50, at best, depending on a number of things.

In this case I'd probably hand over the wallet ...BUUUUUUTTTTTT I do carry at the 4:30 position, so I've got to pass right over my IWB Glock 23 to grab my wallet. That positioning is no coincidence.

I have been told that I take unnecessary risk from time to time (spearfishing around sharks, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, etc...)

It would really depend on situational details. Like... Do these guys look like they know what they're doing, or are they a couple of knuckleheads who look strung out and are holding their guns sideways while waving them around?

Exactly

The details will greatly effect the likelihood of success (coming out alive or unscathed).

Any way you cut it, two drawn against one will be a tough go.

Links