Oregon Court of Appeals rejects university system's ban on guns on campus

This is a discussion on Oregon Court of Appeals rejects university system's ban on guns on campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is confusing on so many levels. Oregon is a very liberal state (at least the big cities which have a majority of the population) ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noway2
  • 1 Post By ksholder

Thread: Oregon Court of Appeals rejects university system's ban on guns on campus

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

This is confusing on so many levels. Oregon is a very liberal state (at least the big cities which have a majority of the population) yet we have some of the best gun laws in the nation. Go figure.

Oregon Court of Appeals rejects university system's ban on guns on campus | OregonLive.com
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    This is confusing on so many levels. Oregon is a very liberal state (at least the big cities which have a majority of the population) yet we have some of the best gun laws in the nation. Go figure.
    Misguided is misguided. Some of the resent links / articles on Ohio's restaurant and bar carry, especially the comment section show this. I think that it is a misconception that "liberals" are the same thing as "antis", especially if you separate social from economic.
    Ishmael likes this.

Where'd you get those judges? Why don't they look for some of the Supreme Court Judges in those same areas?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    It has always amazed me at how Universities are treated as if they are sovereign nations and regardless what the laws are in your state, the University seems to be free to make up their own rules. Why should the rights I have as a carrier in KY be trumped by the rights of a University when they are receiving money from the very state whose laws they reject? Case in point, handicap parking tags that you get in KY are good for the entire state but not for the University of Kentucky. What's up with that? This has always been hypocrisy to me. UK may have changed their stance on recognizing KY handicap tags but I know that this was in place at one point.

I can understand a private college being able to reserve the right of banning guns on its campus but not the ones that receive state money.
    Legalities are not my strong suite so I'll be more than willing to hear anything from anyone that can tell me with how I'm wrong in any of this...

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Just a thought, no evidence to back it up, but it might have something to do with the size of their economies. The university that I work for is the largest employer in the state, weighing in at somewhere around 25,000 employees, with an institution that spends an amount of money equivalent to the GDP of some smaller countries. That kind of impact will buy you plenty of legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I can understand a private college being able to reserve the right of banning guns on its campus but not the ones that receive state money.
    Legalities are not my strong suite so I'll be more than willing to hear anything from anyone that can tell me with how I'm wrong in any of this...
    I don't even agree with the private right to banning when you are dealing w/ the general public. And that goes for school systems too. Private house, yes. Private business that does little/no store front/public interaction, also yes. Dealing w/ public at large and I say your private rights are trumped by the public rights in general. To me it's just more BS gun grabbing and catering to criminals who ignore such rules. Borderline Brady Bunch time.

VIP Member
    University of Oregon students will urge the university system to appeal what they see as a "flawed" and "dangerous decision," said Ben Eckstein, 21, a senior and student body president.

"Students feel our college campus should be a place where we can learn safely, engage safely," he said. "When anybody brings a lethal weapon on campus, it threatens our ability to learn safely."
    Head in the sand. With that mentality, I wonder what he is really learning anyway.
    8th ID likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sponsored Links