no mention of a gun involved, but does involve a LEO

This is a discussion on no mention of a gun involved, but does involve a LEO within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There was an article in the paper here about a fight that broke out between parents after a pee-wee football game here. The articale stated ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bubbiesdad

Thread: no mention of a gun involved, but does involve a LEO

no mention of a gun involved, but does involve a LEO

There was an article in the paper here about a fight that broke out between parents after a pee-wee football game here. The articale stated that after the game there were several people upset about missed calls by the referees. Apparently as the parents from opposing teams were leaving an argument stated and several parents attacked another parent. That parent then identified himself as a State trooper.

He then proceeded to according to the article "attempt to arrest the other parents". At some point on duty sheriff deputies were called in to control the situation.

There was no mention of the state trooper being armed.

He's my question, should we expect a state trooper to be held to a 'higher standard" than the rest of the parents. Since it appears that he was singled out to be attacked I would assume he was involved in the original argument. That may not be the case, it's possible he was trying to calm both sides down and got assulted for his trouble.

If he was one of the original verbal argument participants does it seem right that he gets to use the "cop" card once things go bad? Should he have avoided the argument all together?

The article didn't give any more details than what I have mentioned here but it did sound to me like he had a part in the original yelling match.

Edited, It appears that the first aggressor attacked the officer, who then identified himself as poilce, and while he was attempting to arrest the first aggresor another person attacked him again. There was also a comment that appears to indicate that the officer was also a coach for the team, but that is not confirmed in the article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...branch_tr.html

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not enough info to form a definitive opinion, but from the info provided, it looks like the cop was assaulted without provocation. The charges appear to have been handed down that way as well. It would be good to know the rest of the story.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

If they all went after him, my guess is he was a willing participant

The way "adults" act at youth sports, he could have been attacked for having a valid point. Not enough info in the story.
    oneshot likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

It seems pretty straightforward to me. The trooper was assaulted, attempted to make an arrest and was assaulted by a second person.

That seems to also be the opinion of the County Prosecutor.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It seems pretty straightforward to me. The trooper was assaulted, attempted to make an arrest and was assaulted by a second person.

^^^^^^Thats pretty much^^^^^^^^^^

What I read from the article as well.
    [see below]

Troopers conducted an investigation and sent their reports to the Ogemaw County Prosecutor’s Office. Prosecutors determined on Thursday to issue warrants for two of the alleged assailants, Mathews said.

“Based on our interviews with the witnesses involved, they were the first instigators,” Mathews said. “We interviewed probably over 20 people.”

I doubt 20 people, interviewed separately, would give false testimony stating that the trooper was @ fault, or was an instigator in the incident.

IIRC, that school is several miles out of town, @ the corner of M-30 and State road. Probably why they had every agency called that they could, including a DNR agent.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^Thats pretty much^^^^^^^^^^

What I read from the article as well.
    [see below]

Troopers conducted an investigation and sent their reports to the Ogemaw County Prosecutor’s Office. Prosecutors determined on Thursday to issue warrants for two of the alleged assailants, Mathews said.

“Based on our interviews with the witnesses involved, they were the first instigators,” Mathews said. “We interviewed probably over 20 people.”

I doubt 20 people, interviewed separately, would give false testimony stating that the trooper was @ fault, or was an instigator in the incident.

IIRC, that school is several miles out of town, @ the corner of M-30 and State road. Probably why they had every agency called that they could, including a DNR agent.

They don't really say if the game was at Ogemaw Heights High School, but most likely was.

I guess it would take a really brazen ticked off person to attack a police officer after he identified himself, of course I suppose the second attacker could have come on the scene during the restraining of the first person and not heard the officer identify himself.

I agree it seems like the parents at some of these youth games are just plain crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post

I agree...this is what I got from the article as well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    One wonders what lessons the children learned from this parental example of good sportsmanship.

VIP Member
    Having coached t-ball for several years,when my boys were young, I think parents should be banned from the fields. The kids are there to learn the game, not what a$$es their parents are.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Some of these sport parents DO need to be beat seriously about the head and banned from attending any sport event their child is involved in. Gheeez, people it's a game for the kids - and yet they get upset. We used to play without keeping score so there was NO WINNERS and NO LOSERS, just kids playing.

Links