Neighbors connected townhouse was broken into...

This is a discussion on Neighbors connected townhouse was broken into... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I was at the Big E Sunday and came home to my neighbor freaking out on the back deck of our house. It's a ...

Thread: Neighbors connected townhouse was broken into...

So I was at the Big E Sunday and came home to my neighbor freaking out on the back deck of our house. It's a three level house split down the middle so we each have a side of the house, and our sides are connected at the top floor by a "fire door" which really is just a flimsy 1/4" plywood door with a opaque glass window to break to unlock in case of a fire.

The Neighbor and his ex had just broken up and she was moving her stuff out all day, and when he got back his safe was empty with the key sitting next to it on the bed, and some cash left on the nightstand was gone. He was positive it was the ex, the keys to the safe were in a jar above the safe on a nightstand, she knew about the location and also that cash was left on the nightstand. Nothing else was missing, the burglar walked right past his brand new 4 figure price tag camera, his guitars, laptops, just took cash, leading him to believe even more so that it was the Ex. The breakup was on bad terms, so everyone pointed to her. He calls the police with me there and an officer comes down and explains since she had access to the house it wouldn't be B&E and if the cash in the safe was partially hers it wasn't larceny either, would just be a civil matter. So she shows up and says during the day she left and came back 20 minutes later and the back door was wide open and she just thought she had forgot to shut it.

So the officer takes names and leaves, my neighbor is pissed and his mindset that it was the Ex and his cash was as good as gone. Our group of friends all agreed that with the evidence it HAD to have been her. The next day he calls me all upset and tells me he was taking his ex out to dinner to apologize. The police had called him early Monday and told him they had arrested two men they had been looking for about other robberies in the area, and they had the exact amount of cash that was missing and had admitted to climbing in a unlocked window and leaving through the back door leaving it open. Just goes to show it is not always what you think!

Anyways, once I heard this I gave my side a once over, checked the fire door for tampering, made sure all the windows were still locked (they are always locked, for this reason!).

Although this wasn't my side of the house, I still feel extremely violated. It also got me thinking about many possible scenarios that one could encounter in a situation like this. The robbers broke in between 4pm and 6pm on a Sunday afternoon in broad daylight, and due to my neighbors Ex moving there was no routine schedule they could have planned around so they obviously were very brazen not knowing when someone would be coming back home. Just that in itself would put me on high alert if I had encountered them in my home, showing me they had nothing to lose and no care of getting caught.

Many things are going through my head about "what I would have done if"...what if I came home to my open door...what If I saw them climbing into my neighbors window and didn't know if the defenseless Ex was inside? What if I came home to them standing in my living room and the only way out was past me out the door? SO many scenarios its really making me think hard about many different things you could plan for, and also about when it becomes paranoia and "over planning".

Here is a link to the article...if you scroll through the pictures you can see both of the BG's and the cash and goods stolen from all the houses. Both of them have that look in there eyes that would make me not hesitate if they made any wrong moves had they been in my side of the house.

2 arrested in series of East Bay breaks | WPRI.com

I always tell my neighbor to keep his windows locked and shut but he always has them all open with just the screens on...he always told me its a good neighborhood so don't bother...not the case anymore these days.

Editing to put this more descriptive link in that I just found...
    http://www.warrenri.com/news/2011/oc...rrest-miracle/
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post
    Both of them have that look in there eyes that would make me not hesitate if they made any wrong moves had they been in my side of the house.
    I agree...like blinking eyes or breathing motions...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    It would seem that "good neighborhoods" are a thing of the past.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree...like blinking eyes or breathing motions...
    My thoughts exactly. They added now that the one doing the B&E was carrying the BB pistol shown in the picture of the evidence. At least he didn't get any bail.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Gee, the key to the strong box is sitting in a jar on top of it and cash is on the nightstand, so it had to be the Ex-whatever.

Like no one else could possibly find those super secret hiding places.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Gee, the key to the strong box is sitting in a jar on top of it and cash is on the nightstand, so it had to be the Ex-whatever.

Like no one else could possibly find those super secret hiding places.
    Thank god in TX we got the don't let me catch you in my house uninvited law,or OSHA will be investigating your death as a work place accident
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    From the article:
    possession of cocaine .... one count of possession of suboxin, possession of hydrocodone
    It goes without saying, but if you come home and see evidence that your home has been burglarized, your best course of action is to not enter, but to call 911 from outside or from a neighbors house. If someone had entered and interrupted their rummaging, there is no telling what would have gone through their substance altered brain stems. On the other hand, this is another example of where your gun is safest and most effective on you and not locked in a vault in the bedroom.

It's amazing that they didn't take the laptop and other items.

As far as them breaking in between trips to the house by the Ex, I wonder if perhaps they had previously cased the house and on a normal Sunday the place is empty. They just got luck that they missed the Ex. Perhaps she was lucky also.

As far as if I walked in on someone illegally in my house and carrying a gun, that may or may not be a BB gun. Sounds like a good time to apply Michigan's Castle Doctrine. Bang bang, repeat until they are down.

A truly "good" neighborhood would be where you shoot the BG, and the neighbors help load up the body and help you bury it in the wilderness and no cops are called.

Sponsored Links