Ihop shooting ak-47 altered........

This is a discussion on Ihop shooting ak-47 altered........ within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Weapon has a past with some empty spaces in it's ownership history..... Sheriff: Gun in IHOP shooting illegally altered OS...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SIGguy229
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: Ihop shooting ak-47 altered........

Weapon has a past with some empty spaces in it's ownership history.....

Sheriff: Gun in IHOP shooting illegally altered

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Ownership history is a non-issue. Why? Because the alternative is to have the gov't approve/track each purchase and transaction...which is beyond the scope of their authority.

It was a BG with a gun...the gun didn't make him do it. The fact it was altered would have been a factor during trial, but since the coward off'd himself, it will be another feather in the Brady cap to call for closing the "loophole" of private gun transactions.

In the end, the gun will probably be destroyed, and the guy won't ever commit another crime.

Future crimes will not be prevented by tracking purchases or transactions--otherwise places like NYC, Boston, and Baltimore would be the safest places in the country.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; October 6th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
    MotorCityGun and msgt/ret like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Let's be sadly realistic here, he probably killed LESS people if he was firing on full auto. If he was on semi-auto, he would likely have aimed each shot more carefully. Of course, the Brady folks would say I was crazy for using logic like that.

Still, a terrible tragedy.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

In this case the fact that the weapon was illegally altered is a factor.

The person who did the "professional" work to the firearm should be held accountable for the federal firearms violations if identified.

My $.02

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    In this case the fact that the weapon was illegally altered is a factor.

The person who did the "professional" work to the firearm should be held accountable for the federal firearms violations if identified.

My $.02

OS
    Agreed. As it relates to "professional" work:

- How does one determine if, in fact, the weapon was "professionally" altered?

- Is there a specific/detectable technique that every professional gunsmith employs that would somehow mark/tag a weapon as being "professionally" altered?

- Doesn't "professional" also imply that the modification was performed in exchange for money?

- Can anyone who is handy around guns alter an AK like a "professional" gunsmith?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

How bout this then:

Anyone who did the illegal alteration on the AK-47 used in the IHOP shooting should be held responsible for their action.

I used the term "professional" as it was used in the article.

It would seem the work done was of a high caliber and not done in a shoddy manner.

OS

Anyone with basic machinist skills could "professionally" alter it using plans from the internet.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I believe that, based the information in the link, the initial modification, may now be beyond the federal statute of limitations for such NFA violations.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

IIRC the AK47 parts kits had FA parts in them,except for the Auto Sear.If I had the FA parts I could convert one,but I won't, I work within the confines of the law,besides if I wanta shoot a FA AK47 I'll call my buddy up his is legal.
    It could be that the FA parts were machined and not factory,which would be the professional aspect
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links