Bad: Home Invasion Leads to Murder

This is a discussion on Bad: Home Invasion Leads to Murder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Community shocked, saddened by Goshen College professor's death in home invasion - wsbt.com Some select excerpts that bring it back to self defense James Miller, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Freedom Doc

Thread: Bad: Home Invasion Leads to Murder

Community shocked, saddened by Goshen College professor's death in home invasion - wsbt.com

Some select excerpts that bring it back to self defense
    James Miller, a 58-year-old Goshen College professor, was killed Sunday morning at his home during a robbery attempt. The crime scene is located just off the college campus.
    Two minutes later, police arrived at the home and pronounced Jim dead at the scene.
    The suspect had left the scene before police arrived.
    Two minutes, excellent response time, but in a home invasion that is not much at all. Wife is hospitalized and now a widow. We've seen the phrase when seconds matter the police are minutes away; in this case minutes where enough for heinous crimes and an escape, at least for the time being.

Usually, you know, in small town like this, things like this don't happen
    It has just been very quiet, very nice, and then to have something like this happen…just, it’s very frightening
    It can happen anywhere at anytime to anyone, even a well known and liked professor in a small town where there are fast response times at 1am on a Sunday. On this board I know it tends to be preaching to the choir, but this is a sobering reminder to keep ever vigilant, even where and when we feel safe. The college Miller was a professor at is a religious college and if your personal beliefs so align, I'm sure prayers for this man, his wife and the hundreds if not thousands of lives he has touched and is now absent from are deeply appreciated.

Glock Certified Armorer

Well, the story is pretty sketchy and lacking of any details which would provide people like us with a meaningful discussion.

We have no idea if the victim had any guns, if he tried to resist or really any details on what happened. We don't even know if the victim was shot, stabbed or bludgeoned to death. (I did not watch the video. I just read the print story).

So all I can say is that, if you choose not to have a gun, and don't fight back, you are totally and completely at their mercy.

I would also say, that if you don't believe in guns, or don't have a gun for defense, then it's best not to try and resist.

For me and my wife, we choose not to be at anyone's mercy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    If you do a web search for Goshen College (of Goshen, IN) and look some of these over, you'll find it to be a Mennonite college. Mennonites tend to be anti-gun and anti-war. Indeed, Goshen College decided that the national anthem is too warlike and quit playing it before their games. I'm sorry but that kind of stuff just makes me ill. For cowardly criminal types to take advantage of that is reprehensible. But that is their nature.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Mennonites

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    If you do a web search for Goshen College (of Goshen, IN) and look some of these over, you'll find it to be a Mennonite college. Mennonites tend to be anti-gun and anti-war. Indeed, Goshen College decided that the national anthem is too warlike and quit playing it before their games. I'm sorry but that kind of stuff just makes me ill. For cowardly criminal types to take advantage of that is reprehensible. But that is their nature.
    Mennonites are people who believe they should take Jesus seriously and follow His teachings.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Mennonites are people who believe they should take Jesus seriously and follow His teachings.
    I guess they (Mennonites) missed the part where Jesus commanded his people to take up the sword.
    Guest1 and cuckoo429 like this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Wiki-google: " Over the years, Mennonites have become known as one of the historic peace churches because of their commitment to nonviolence."

After a brief read they are pretty much a non-violent group. I make no judgement on their religious beliefs other than if non-violence and anti-gun 'culture' is their path followed, then the college is not much more than a pasture of sheep (which covers just about any campus anywhere) ..... and just like anywhere, their surronded by wolves. Mennonite or otherwise, if violence comes looking for you, you either will or will not be ready. Our professor was not. A prayer for him and his and the hope his murderer is captured soonest.

Lets not make this a discussion of religon 'right or wrong'. I may not follow their culture or belief system(s), but I most certinally respect their displine and dedication.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Jesus did say those that take up the sword will die by the sword but you are probably referring to Jesus say he has not come to bring peace but a sword. Serious Bible study revels that Jesus is in the context of send out his disciples to make known his teachings and is letting his followers to know that the teachings of Jesus will be sharply resisted.

Sponsored Links