Gun-Filled Orlando Home Leads To Child Neglect Charges

This is a discussion on Gun-Filled Orlando Home Leads To Child Neglect Charges within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone have any idea why Federal Agents would be involved in something like this? Obviously these two are lousy parents....but Feds swarming the house? Gun-Filled ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gun-Filled Orlando Home Leads To Child Neglect Charges

Anyone have any idea why Federal Agents would be involved in something like this? Obviously these two are lousy parents....but Feds swarming the house?

Gun-Filled Home Leads To Child Neglect Charges
    Children Removed From Home By Authorities

POSTED: 11:53 am EDT October 14, 2011
    UPDATED: 12:28 pm EDT October 14, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Two people faced child neglect and weapons charges Friday after children were found in a home filled with guns and filth.

A representative from the Department of Children and Families said they have custody of two children taken from the home Thursday. The adults who lived in the home were booked into the Orange County Jail.

The adults were identified as Bonnie Brandt, 23, and Jeffrey Kaiser, 27. Both of them face charges of negligent storage of a firearm, leaving a firearm in easy access of a minor and failure to report child abuse or neglect.

In the arrest report, Orange County investigators said the home on Sassafras Court was filled with garbage and filth. But of more concern, they said the couple left pellet guns, pistols and long guns within easy access of two children who lived there. Officials said one of them is less than 1 year old. The other is 4 years old.

Neighbors said state and federal agents swarmed the home and arrested Kaiser in the front yard. They said pistols were found inside a backpack he was carrying.

One neighbor, a veteran who just returned from Afghanistan, said he knows too well how dangerous guns can be if they're not locked up properly.

Both adults were expected to make first court appearances Friday.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE to Earlier post:

still wondering what the hades ATF was doing raiding this house!!!! Illegal arms deals with Mexico? Most members here have more guns than the ATF removed from the house.

ATF raid finds kids in filthy home with access to guns; couple arrested

Accused are Bonnie Brandt and Jeffrey Kaiser. (Orange County Jail, Orange County Jail / October 14, 2011)

By David Breen, Orlando Sentinel

4:24 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2011

Federal agents and deputies raiding an Orange County home stumbled upon a shocking sight: Two children living in filthy conditions with guns strewn about the home.

The children's parents, Jeffrey Kaiser, 27, and Bonnie Brandt, 23, were jailed on charges of child neglect, negligent storage of a firearm, leaving a firearm within easy access of a minor, and failure to report child abuse or neglect.

The raid was carried out by agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with Orange County deputies.
    Following the Thursday night raid, the two children were placed with a relative, according to Carrie Hoeppner, spokeswoman for the Department of Children and Families.

The children are a 4-year-old girl and a boy who is just under a year old, Hoeppner said.

The children are undergoing a medical evaluation, she said. The younger child "has some bruising to his face," and investigators are trying to determine if the injuries are consistent with the explanation of a fall given by Kaiser and Brandt, she said.

Multiple firearms, gun parts, ammunition and pellet guns were found in areas easily accessible to children, according to arrest reports. The home was described as dirty and in disarray, with flies and other insects throughout, and smelling of dog urine.

A rack of assault rifles was found next to the baby's crib, the report said

A pipe and marijuana residue were also found in the home..

An Orange deputy described the home as "one of the worst living conditions for children I have ever seen."

Kaiser was released this morning on $2,850 bail. Brandt remained jailed as of late this afternoon. Her bail has also been set at $2,850.

ATF agents removed 2 handguns, a shotgun, a .22-caliber rifle, and four AR-15 assault rifles from the home, along with ammunition, pellet guns, gun manufacturing tools and gun parts.
    Last edited by zonker1986; October 15th, 2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: UPDATE to Earlier Post
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I know in our jurisdiction,if we get a call and find a firearm,even paintball,airsoft or pelletgun not properly secured and out of reach of a child it will result in an endangerment charge with degrees from c misd to felony.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I know in our jurisdiction,if we get a call and find a firearm,even paintball,airsoft or pelletgun not properly secured and out of reach of a child it will result in an endangerment charge with degrees from c misd to felony.
    Do you mean "find" as in "with a Warrant" or...?

I like how they bring up the fact that the neighbor, a VETERAN from AFGHANISTAN, says how HE knows how DANGEROUS guns can be, if not locked up properly. I think the thought cycle they were trying to provoke from uninformed readers was "soldier, Afghanistan, dangerous, guns, bad!"
    oneshot likes this.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

yep. Its Florida Law that you cannot store firearms within the reach of minors and the penalties are severe. I get that....but curious how the Feds got involved.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    From what info is reported there has to be much more to this story to require federal agents.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    They try to associate filthy living conditions with gun ownership; and suggest that military veterans agree with the idea of locking up guns at home. A very well-written piece of propaganda if you ask me. Crappy, biased, liberal journalism, but good propaganda.
    tkruf, Magnum, Chevyguy85 and 3 others like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    I don't think the question is about the child endangerment charges, but what were the Fed's doing, getting involved in a state matter.
    zonker1986 and tkruf like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Probably just local law enforcement. Maybe some CPS workers. Something had to happen to bring the police to this apartment. I think we have a lot of bad information here. Federal agents have no juridiction of any of the supposed charges.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Probably just local law enforcement. Maybe some CPS workers. Something had to happen to bring the police to this apartment. I think we have a lot of bad information here. Federal agents have no juridiction of any of the supposed charges.

Someone on the scene had to wear the Jack-boots.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    ATF? The news said there was a .177 pellet gun found.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    They try to associate filthy living conditions with gun ownership; and suggest that military veterans agree with the idea of locking up guns at home. A very well-written piece of propaganda if you ask me. Crappy, biased, liberal journalism, but good propaganda.
    I'm glad I don't have any kids so I can keep my freshly cleaned guns in my filthy house without government interference.
    Magnum likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Hummmm.... can't figure out why the ATF would be involved with this at all ..... nor who would even call them in to that situation.

Seems a bit fishy..............
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    yep. Its Florida Law that you cannot store firearms within the reach of minors and the penalties are severe. I get that....but curious how the Feds got involved.
    I don't. Feel good legislation that makes it nearly impossible to use a firearm defensively. But I have disagreed with this several times around here. IIRC, in NC there has to be a crime committed. Simply sitting there is not illegal.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My guess is the feds were involved due to the way the guns were acquired. Just guessing but since they had a rack of ARs they may have been selling to the wrong people or buying from the wrong people.

The child welfare charges were probably done by deputies that accompanied the ATF as a secondary group of charges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links