Welcome to NY

This is a discussion on Welcome to NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Report: Well-Armed Tourists Visit Lady Liberty Updated: Monday, 17 Oct 2011, 11:32 AM EDT Published : Monday, 17 Oct 2011, 11:32 AM EDT MYFOXNY.COM - ...

Thread: Welcome to NY

Welcome to NY

Report: Well-Armed Tourists Visit Lady Liberty
    Updated: Monday, 17 Oct 2011, 11:32 AM EDT
    Published : Monday, 17 Oct 2011, 11:32 AM EDT

MYFOXNY.COM - Switchblades, brass knuckles, screwdrivers and other tools are among the items security officers at the Statue of Liberty have reportedly confiscated from well-armed tourists in 2011.

The U.S. Park Police tell the NY Daily News they have removed a wide-array of weapons in the first nine months of the year.

The inventory includes 28 illegal weapons; more than 5,000 knives and more than 5,000 other 'miscellaneous weapons.'

According to the Daily News , 61 cans of peppery spray and Mace were confiscated in September alone.

Screening of tourists occurs at a checkpoint before boarding a ferry for the trip to Liberty and Ellis islands. A second check takes place once visitors are on the islands.

Approximately 3.8 million visitors from all over the world visited the landmarks in 2010.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/repo...#ixzz1b4Bh60pF

Report: Well-Armed Tourists Visit Lady Liberty

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Personally, I will not travel to any city unless I can have a means to defen myslf.

Switchblades, brass knuckles, screwdrivers and other tools are among the items security officers at the Statue of Liberty have reportedly confiscated from well-armed tourists in 2011.

they think all that junk is well armed in New York??? Bwaaahhaahahhahahhaaaaaaa!!

those security officers should spend a week in Orlando.....

"Glock 19 - check, Glock 26- check, Kahr CM9 - check, car keys- check. Ok, honey we're ready to go shopping at the Mall."
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Switchblades, brass knuckles, screwdrivers and other tools are among the items security officers at the Statue of Liberty have reportedly confiscated from well-armed tourists in 2011.

they think all that junk is well armed in New York??? Bwaaahhaahahhahahhaaaaaaa!!

those security officers should spend a week in Orlando.....

"Glock 19 - check, Glock 26- check, Kahr CM9 - check, car keys- check. Ok, honey we're ready to go shopping at the Mall."
    And I think it should be enough if they spend just a couple of days in Miami
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I thought all that stuff was illegal? Since they didn't have a permit, why are they carrying???? Oh, yeah. I remember - it's NYC.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

Although I've never thought about it, as federal property it would be illegal to posses even a pocket knife at the Statue of Liberty. Somewhat ironic.

I especially like the last line in the parent article.
    "I have two fists - one of iron and one of steel. Who needs Mace?" said a man who identified himself only as Roger, of the Rocky Mountain region of western Canada. He was surprised by the rigorous screening, much like an airport, with screeners asking visitors to take off their belts and shoes.
    Riiiight Mr. Tough Guy.

Links