It's a bird it's a plane it's?????

This is a discussion on It's a bird it's a plane it's????? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hero's run amuck : Great Scott!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It's a bird it's a plane it's?????

It's a bird it's a plane it's?????

Hero's run amuck :Great Scott!

2. Remove Ads

Seattle LEO's not amused...The mut had to "take off" his mask in court !!...what tripe..meanwhile, back at the ranch.....Oh ya theres video of this struting idiot...Anybody remember the time line in the Robert Heinlein Sci-Fi novels written in the 50/60's "the crazy time" and the "Howard " family....go figure

I think he needs some medication!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

He also thinks there should be tactical superhero training — including how to take control of a volatile situation and defuse it.
    LOL! There is! It's called the United States Military!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Living in his own private idaho.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Ok, now I admit in some ways this is funny, but lets think about this for a second, especially given that we are a group that advocates self defense tactics because 'just call 911' doesn't work. From the article:
    Fabio Heuring was standing outside a Seattle nightclub on a Saturday night and smoking cigarettes with a friend when a man bolting from a bouncer ran into them. The enraged man ripped off his shirt in the middle of the street and prepared to give Heuring's buddy a beating. He (Jones) doused the aggressor with pepper spray, much to Heuring's shocked relief.
    Would 911 work in this instance? Maybe he could have gotten away and just gone inside, maybe not.
    The comic book-inspired patrolling of city streets by "real life super-heroes" has been getting more popular in recent years, thanks largely to mainstream attention in movies like last year's "Kick-Ass" and the recent HBO documentary "Superheroes."
    Also as crime has increased, police budgets have been slashed. Don't jump to the cause and effect conclusion that it is because of a movie.
    "The movement has grown majorly,"
    Hmm, perhaps there is a reason and a need for this.
    "Without a question, there was a fight going to happen," he said. "It could have ended ugly had he not come in. He used good judgment in our case. He saw who was instigating it and who he needed to defend."
    sounds awfully similar to the conditions governing the use of lethal force in the defense of another.
    He envisions a nonprofit organization that would have departments devoted to fundraising and building community trust and alliances. He also thinks there should be tactical superhero training — including how to take control of a volatile situation and defuse it.
    Both of these sound like laudable goals to me and could definitely help to deter neighborhood crime.
    "The police by in large appreciate an extra set of eyes, but they really, really want these guys to do it according to the law,"
    Back to the use of force in defense of another is justified when?
    They spread throughout the country in the 1980s and 1990s, and became more popular thanks to the faster communications and online support communities of the Internet.
    By way of comparison, a phone call to 911 is almost antiquated, as well as slow. What is the average 911 response time? Something like 11 minutes?
    That concerns the professional crime-fighters.
    Well, maybe if more of them were actually fighting crime instead of sitting by the side of the road engaged in state sponsored extortion. I really don't mean to offend any of the LEO in this forum. However, in my city alone, there are enough violent crimes every day in the same areas of town that it makes it really hard to justify the amount of effort spent on fuzzing for speeders instead. Most places don't even claim it is for safety anymore, just revenue.
    "Our concern is when you insert yourself into these situations without knowing the facts, it's just not a smart thing to do. If you think a situation warrants calling 911, call 911."
    We have said it many times, it is important to know the facts when you use force to defend another. Arguably in this case he can't always know all of the facts. However, if it was clearly apparent that physical violence was about to break out, putting a stop to it and diffusing the situation to where it can be straightened out by other means could prevent things from turning worse.

While I don't necessarily agree with his tactics, I can recognize why many would feel the need to take action these days. The societal security mechanisms are insufficient and people have lost the internal security mechanisms that used to keep behavior in check and instead try to project the responsibility for their security to someone else.

noway,

I think OUR objective and THEIR objective are miles apart. If we inject ourselves into a situation it is going to be because a life in in danger. They will do it at the first sign that something may OR may not be going on but they are jumping the gun to see if it is going on or not. WE try to blend in as much as possible. THEY purposely stand out. THEY seek glory, WE seek survival and anonymity.

I still contend that if THEY want to do good in the way they claim they want to do good, THEY should go through the police (or military) academy & become actual LEOs (or soldiers).

Personally, I carry to defend self and family, not to try to be a hero.
    SIXTO and gottabkiddin like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

I still contend that if THEY want to do good in the way they claim they want to do good, THEY should go through the police (or military) academy & become actual LEOs (or soldiers).
    We don't want them.
    357and40 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

GM
    "… He also thinks there should be tactical superhero training …"; I might be wrong, but I suspect that this guy might not be playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We don't want them.
    I do understand it very well. Who wants to be related in any way to a person like that?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We don't want them.
    Part of my statement there was intended for THEM to go through the academy to be WEEDED OUT as unfit for the duty they are deciding they should be performing. Perhaps they have already been down that road and Paul Blarted out.... Who knows...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

There have been other "groups" of people doing stuff like this.

Remember the Guardian Angels who wore red berets and patrolled NYC subways helping to thwart muggings? Same scenario just different costume.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Noway2. Admit it you have a mask don't you? There is a cape and a set of tights in the top drawer, it's ok really.

It's all fun and games until someone loses their life. Super hero guy runs up to stop the fight and walks into a magnum round into the chest for his trouble.

Sorry you feel law enforcement spends to much time writing speeding tickets when they could obviously be looking into their crystal ball to see where the next robbery, rape or murder is going to occur, instead of writing tickets or responding to major crimes they have to spend their time dealing with a putz like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Let me try to clarify my position now that I am not pressed for time to get ready for work. As I said in my earlier post, on the surface, guys dressing up as super heros and giving themselves cutesy names is funny, and yes undoubtedly the guy is not playing with a full deck. It also speaks of an underlying problem in the community, as well as society in general, that citizens feel the need to do what this guy did. However, instead of laughing at him, I am trying to sympathize with him and understand where he is coming from.

As far as my own community goes, unfortunately, it has an above average rate of crime. In my city, in the last 6 days, according to the Crimemapping.com, there have been 41 of what I would call violent crimes (assault, robbery, rape, murder, and burglary) If we add in reported theft, it jumps to 79. Of those 41, 35 of them were committed within about 5-6 miles of the police station. All but two of the thefts were also in that same area.

As a tax paying citizen of the city, I believe I should have some say in how my tax dollars are spent, including a say in the focus of the police department. My 'beef' isn't with the officers themselves, and this isn't how I meant my statement to be taken and this is why I said, that I don't mean to offend our LEO members here. Rather, it is with the politicians that are pulling the strings of those who are giving the orders. Unfortunately, it seems that those politicians are pulling on the "generate us revenue" strings and indeed this has gotten to be A LOT worse in this prolonged down economy. If they need revenue it is one thing, but I expect them to get it through the front door, not the back. I maintain, as I said in another post, that this is, or at least should be, equally offensive to the officers being USED for this purpose and I am certain that this isn't why any of them chose the profession. At the same time, again in my city, one doesn't need a crystal ball to know where the next crime is going to happen - they happen in the same general areas repeatedly.

From the Salahis who crashed a White House State Dinner to the "balloon boy" dad trying to get a TV show, we have become a "look at me" society. Adults dressed as crime fighting superheroes is just another manifestation of the phenomenon.

Little children do that stuff. "Daddy, daddy!!! Watch this!!! Look at me!!!"

Some people just need to grow up.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn89 View Post
    Hero is a schmuck :Great Scott!
    There. I fixed it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links