WHERE the heck is THAT???????

This is a discussion on WHERE the heck is THAT??????? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love to read about all the things (good) that are happening around the U.S.ofA., but can anyone tell me WHY the exact locations are ...

Thread: WHERE the heck is THAT???????

I love to read about all the things (good) that are happening around the U.S.ofA., but can anyone tell me WHY the exact locations are not mentioned half of the time? As an example....."Dowlen Road Walmart last Wednesday around 5 p.m." Or, in the "Brownsville area."

Etc. ad nauseum.

Sometimes I can get a clue by seeing where the poster is from. Othertimes, not.

I believe that I read somewhere tha there is a "Springfield" town in every state in the Union. Ergo, something happening in "Springfield" really does not tell me much.

I, for one, would like to know at least the State and City of each occurance mentioned.

Curious George

VIP Member
    On my posts I always try to include the city and state, pet peeve in trying to figure where something occurred.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very good point, and I hope people make a note of that.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    I love to read about all the things (good) that are happening around the U.S.ofA., but can anyone tell me WHY the exact locations are not mentioned half of the time? As an example....."Dowlen Road Walmart last Wednesday around 5 p.m." Or, in the "Brownsville area."

Etc. ad nauseum.

Sometimes I can get a clue by seeing where the poster is from. Other times, not.

I believe that I read somewhere tha there is a "Springfield" town in every state in the Union. Ergo, something happening in "Springfield" really does not tell me much.

I, for one, would like to know at least the State and City of each occurrence mentioned.

Curious George
    Walmart
    4145 North Dowlen Road
    Beaumont, Texas 77706

And there are 40 Springfields, 5 in Wisconsin alone, so not quite every state in the union.

Etc. ad nauseum.

Sometimes I can get a clue by seeing where the poster is from. Othertimes, not.

I, for one, would like to know at least the State and City of each occurance mentioned.

Curious George
    When people post links to local news outlets, the locals speak and talk to their local audience in which case it's not really needed. An OP may not mention it to help obscure actual identity (I cringe every time I see someone say "this was only a few blocks from me" or "right down the street")

Glock Certified Armorer

Brownsville Texas is the farthest part of the South Eastern point of Texas before ya hit Mexico,It's more like North Mexico IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No Springfields near me!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

My wife was born and raised in Springfield.

The one in Illinois!

I see Zsnake you are in Northern Virginia. Where is that, exactly? LOL!!

I am in West Virginia. Lost count of how many people have asked me how close to Richmond do I live.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

So is that the state called West Virginia or the western part of the state named Virginia? Sometimes I wonder what people were thinking when they came up with North and South Dakota and Virginia and West Virginia.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    So is that the state called West Virginia or the western part of the state named Virginia? Sometimes I wonder what people were thinking when they came up with North and South Dakota and Virginia and West Virginia.
    Small bit o' history. The western counties of Virginia wanted to separate back in the 1820's but were denied. Virginia changed the State Constitution to appease them. Then comes the American Civil War when Virginia seceded, the western over the mountians counties of Virginia decided to remain loyal to the U.S. and became the "reformed" State of Virginia. They petitioned Congress to form a new State. Older law prohibited states from ceeding territory to form new ones. Virginia was no longer a part of the U.S. so Congress allowed it. A few names were tossed around, Westsylvania, Kanawha, and finally West Virginia. The latter name was adopted and we entered the Union 20 July 1863. However, you would be surprised at the number of people who do not know this.

Didn't study your geography in Jr HS ???

I agree... LOL ..... I've seen some and wondered where the heck is that, and researched until I figured it out, just because it bugged me.

I was doing genealogy for years on our family, and could never find ... "the monastery near Monkswearmouth"......... I even wrote to the Consulate of England to ask them, they had no clue. I finally found it (after years) .... it is a Monsatery for "Monks" at the "mouth" of "Wear" river.... "Monks-Wear - Mouth" .... that's how they used to ID places / locations.... it's not the name.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If I am really that interested in exact location, I just google the first few sentences of the article and it comes right up...... normally I am not.

Thanks all for the information.

JoJoGunn...I knew that! Btw..Northern Va is the Northern Section of the State ('Scuse me...Commonwealth) of Virginia. Culpeper, Warren, Shannandoah, Fauquier, etc. Counties.

HighVoltage..Thank YOU

Thanks all for the information.

JoJoGunn...I knew that! Btw..Northern Va is the Northern Section of the State ('Scuse me...Commonwealth) of Virginia. Culpeper, Warren, Shannandoah, Fauquier, etc. Counties.

HighVoltage..Thank YOU
    My Great Uncle Wilcie Williams lived in Bealton. Had a peach orchard near his home. His son Richard Williams was a Federal Judge in VA and WV. Both are deceased. Small world isn't it?

Sponsored Links