Infuriating : Two Arrests for Gun on Campus

This is a discussion on Infuriating : Two Arrests for Gun on Campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We really don't need this kind of exposure especially when it is against WV Law to carry a firearm on a school property. Clearly this ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By tubadude

Thread: Infuriating : Two Arrests for Gun on Campus

Infuriating : Two Arrests for Gun on Campus

We really don't need this kind of exposure especially when it is against WV Law to carry a firearm on a school property. Clearly this guy is excercising his right to be a moron.
    W.Va. man arrested twice on campus gun charges
    October 21, 2011 @ 09:43 AM

The Associated Press

Herald-Dispatch.com

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. (AP) — A Martinsburg man has been arrested twice on charges of bringing a gun onto the campus of Blue Ridge Community and Technical College.

The Journal reports that Joshua L. Beck initially was charged with carrying a concealed handgun into a classroom at the college’s satellite campus in Martinsburg on Oct. 11. A separate warrant issued this week charges the 26-year-old Beck with bringing a firearm onto the school’s main campus on Oct. 10.

Blue Ridge officials told police that Beck had been warned several times not to bring a firearm onto the school’s property.

Beck has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He told the newspaper that he hadn’t received any notification from school officials before Oct. 11. He says the allegations are “slanderous, outrageous and insulting.”
    W.Va. man arrested twice on campus gun charges - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

While yes, he's a moron, it's more infuriating that it's illegal to do so.

Most people don't want to be a test case. He does not seem to mind I guess.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

In the Charlotte news tonight, two teens were seen driving around with an AK47 hanging out the car window. Guess where they pulled over to? Yup, right into a school parking lot. The police loved it. Added a second charge for guns on educational property. Sometimes Darwin got it right.

Police find AK-47, rifle in trunk at Rock Hill school - News Story - WSOC Charlotte
    merlin82plus likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Did someone not explain to him the concept of "concealed"?

Sounds like he wants to be the test case. That is said, in all seriousness. And if he is, I hope he wins.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

He was fortunate to first receive a 'warning'...he must be a slow learner.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I thought WV law only covered primary and secondary schools?
    shooterX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I thought WV law only covered primary and secondary schools?
    I believe it covers College and Universities as well. It also prohibits firearms at Vocational schools too.

I also thought it only covered primary and secondary schools. I've been meaning to look into this very situation, as I'll be on the WVU campus quite a bit in 2012. I don't like it, but I guess I'll be unarmed.

Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Thanks.

I will try not to start an argument, but the guy is being charged with a misdemeanor because he repeatedly violated their policy. This really does nothing to help the case for CCW on college or university campus. He make us look like gun toting crackpots to those who don't understand. Violating the law does not get it changed.

My question is why is it now the County's responsibility to enforce college policy?

And, other than tresspassing what charge(s) could there possibly be?

I is not the smart but it all doesn't make sense to me. If anything expel Beck w/o tuition refund and let that be that, oh and continue w/ tresspassing if they're really that hell bent on making an "example" of him.

Quote Originally Posted by A_666_K9 View Post
    My question is why is it now the County's responsibility to enforce college policy?

And, other than tresspassing what charge(s) could there possibly be?

I is not the smart but it all doesn't make sense to me. If anything expel Beck w/o tuition refund and let that be that, oh and continue w/ tresspassing if they're really that hell bent on making an "example" of him.
    As far as I know, that's what they're doing. The "weapons charges" could now only be misdemeanor trespassing, for being on private property in a condition disallowed by the property owner. But I'm neither a lawyer nor personally privy to the charging documents, so I'm only guessing. Following this one is difficult because the person representing the defendant is also one of the main administrators of WV Citizens Defense League, so the information is not exactly flowing.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I get the feeling that there is more to this story. Specifically, I get the impression that this may have been planned, or at least the plan was in place should he get called out. I agree with JoJoGunn though, what benefit could he possibly have in doing so. It sure does not make the case for allowing campus carry stronger.

Links