Dumb - CC'er plays superhero MESA,AZ

This is a discussion on Dumb - CC'er plays superhero MESA,AZ within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A witness to a car accident chases down the fleeing suspect, pulls his gun to apprehend, fires a round by accident and holds the suspect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Dumb - CC'er plays superhero MESA,AZ

A witness to a car accident chases down the fleeing suspect, pulls his gun to apprehend, fires a round by accident and holds the suspect at gunpoint until police arrive.

Witness holds hit-and-run suspect at gunpoint

All that was missing was the "witness" pulling out his CCW badge and uttering "Don't worry ma'am, I'm a mall ninja"

mel

Stories like this make me want to puke. First the act of the hit and run, and then the run and gun by the "witness." I just don't get it.

If someone had been critically injured or killed in the accident, would you be saying the same thing? I'm not saying what the pursuer did was right, but don't you guys get sick of people like Luis Gastelum-Diaz getting away with murder (figuratively)? With the massive influx of illegals, and their lack of insurance and accountability, I think situations like this are going to be more and more common. Especially in the border states.

No charges at this point on the armed witness/vigilante, but he definitely did not seem to act with any wits about him...
    There is something the media is not reporting here to flavor the story. I would like to know what that is.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    It was a dumb thing to do.

Although I must admit that it gives me a spark of hope to see someone not standing among the masses of mouth-breathers watching their world fall down around them.

Again, it was an incredibly dumb, inept and naive thing to do, but I'm glad to see that someone at least tried to make a difference.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Wasn't it this same forum that just last week said you can use force to place a citizens arrest? Why is this scenario any different?

Please tell me how one can be against this guy, while at the same time supportive of this one:

Robbery Suspect Fatally Shot In Minneapolis « CBS Minnesota

Same scenario:

Armed man witnesses a crime
    Armed man chases down suspect
    Armed man attacked resulting in gun fire

Only difference is in the Minneapolis case the man shot the suspect and killed him, and there were more injuries in this one than the Minneapolis one, yet you're all (for the most part) supportive of one and not the other?
    Robbery Suspect Fatally Shot by MN Carry Permit Holder

I'm seriously concerned/confused.

Chase the guy.... Noway. Follow the guy at a safe distance and let the Police know where they can find the hit and run felon, absolutely!
    tkruf, msgt/ret, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    It is very difficult to formulate a relevant opinion merely on the basis of a news report.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Wasn't it this same forum that just last week said you can use force to place a citizens arrest? Why is this scenario any different?

Please tell me how one can be against this guy, while at the same time supportive of this one:

Same scenario:

Only difference is in the Minneapolis case the man shot the suspect and killed him, and there were more injuries in this one than the Minneapolis one, yet you're all (for the most part) supportive of one and not the other?

You make a good point... Can't for sure say what I'd do in either situation... unless I was in it... and then it becomes "this is what I did."

That said, I don't have a problem going after the bad guy in either case... Though in both cases it might not be the wisest/safest thing to do.

We're (for the most part) here (on DC) all about protecting ourselves and our loved ones... And coming home alive is one way of doing both. To assure that, we can just be a good witness.

Most of us, though, being caring human beings, would have to really fight the urge to help. I don't like seeing people hurt, and the cause of their pain running off unscathed.

In some cases of "defense of others" there is no clear cut guilty party, so the choice must be to be a good witness.

In others, the case is clear, and one can choose to be proactive. There are TREMENDOUS risks involved, saying nothing of the possibility of putting one's self in harm's way. Worst case scenario of being a good Samaritan could be to be injured or killed yourself, AND having your family sued for your actions. More often than not, the risks involved in defending others far outweigh the potential good that can be done. To top it all off, your go/no go decision is required instantly.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Other than having his finger on the trigger, I'm not sure he did all that much wrong. He chased down a drunk hit and run driver and held him for police. While it was a risky thing that he did, I'll take it over five people being a "good witness" any day.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

He did some dumb things and he did some good things. I hope this all turns out alright for the CCW'er.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    The guy in Minnesota will not be charged, will be interesting to see how this similar scenario plays out.

We have a case here where a Doctor hit a person, who flew in the air and landed on top of his van, and then drove home with the guy's body still on his roof. The Police were notified by his neighbors that the good Dr had a dead body on the top of his car in his driveway. So, Police showed up to investigate it.

He says he never realized he hit anyone. He's getting charged with a host of charges..... including DWI.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, a high hit and run driver killed a friend of mine, and his son, this week. Also injured another friend and son in the same wreck. I have no tolerance for them right now. The only reason they caught her was because someone had the sense to follow her. If I had been there, and been able to react fast enough, I would have probably tried to intervene. I'll just leave it at that.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Same scenario:

Tough call, everything is so dependent on the situation.

My one close call on intervening:
    Out for a Sunday drive with the family. As we were going through a suburban area I looked down a street and saw a man and woman arguing. Just before getting out of sight, I saw him slap her. As we drove around the block my wife called 911; I was the only one who had seen what happened. Once we could see them again, they were separated with an older gentleman on a bike in between. I parked about 50 yards away and we stayed on the phone until a squad arrived.
    Later my wife asked what I would have done if it had escalated. I said I probably would have intervened along the lines of a citizen's arrest. I would have had my hand at least on my weapon but easily could have drawn if a major beat down was going on. Luckily for me it was not necessary.

The issue I have with the AZ incident vs. MN is that it sounds like the citizen may have drawn his weapon prematurely. It is difficult to tell from the story and news details should always be taken with a couple teaspoons of salt.

Can't say I would have done the same but I don't see any reason to condemn his actions, based on the given info.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links