NYPD stop-and-frisk

This is a discussion on NYPD stop-and-frisk within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; People do not want the NYPD to stop and frisk but how else do you stop this? Grabbing guns -- for real Last Updated: 11:02 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NYPD stop-and-frisk

NYPD stop-and-frisk

People do not want the NYPD to stop and frisk but how else do you stop this?

Grabbing guns -- for real
    Last Updated: 11:02 PM, October 24, 2011

Posted: October 25, 2011

More Print The mindless murder of a Brooklyn mother on a Brownsville street last Friday should teach a little humility to critics of the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk effort to cleanse the city of illegal guns.

But it won’t -- even though stop-and-frisk saves lives, and even though no other practical anti-gun policy exists.

The victim -- Zurana Horton, 34, a mother of 12 -- was shot down as she picked up her kids from school; another mother and a child were wounded.

Scores of people, mostly children, were in the line of fire when a gunman on a nearby roof opened fire. Horton “was seen moments before she was shot, hovering over several children to protect them,” said NYPD spokesman Paul Browne.

Kendall Rodriguez
    Shooting Victim Serrana Horton
    But horrifyingly tragic as Horton’s death was, in the end it represented just one more firearms fatality in a city that absorbs hundreds of them every year.

Shootings, sad to say, are up this year -- from 1,451 to 1,484, through Oct. 16.

During a brutal eight-day stretch ending on Labor Day, a stunning 112 people were shot (67 over the three-day holiday weekend alone) -- leaving 25 dead.

Since then, there have been 285 shootings, resulting in 48 deaths.

Brownsville in particular is a murder hot-spot; residents there live in daily fear of gang warfare: “I pray every day that bullets don’t fly through my window,” one resident told The Post.

That recalls the Dinkins-era crack wars, when mothers put their kids to bed in bathtubs for fear of bullets coming through walls in the dead of night.

Indeed, it’s enough to cause wonder whether those days are returning.

What’s to be done?

Not a lot can be done.

Calls for tougher national gun laws amount to hot air. Besides, the streets are already saturated with illegal handguns. <---Greatest line ever!!!

That leaves aggressive street-crime policing -- by no means a perfect solution, but a proven tool for reducing gun violence.

Stop-and-frisk is an integral part of it. Some 8,085 weapons, including 814 firearms, were taken off the streets last year by stop-and-frisk cops.

Think of that, potentially, as 814 fewer murders -- even if those whose lives the program saved will never know it, and thus never will be able to testify on behalf of the program.

But critics abound.

Because, overwhelmingly, those stopped were -- and are -- minorities, the usual suspects condemn the program as racist.

But so are the victims mostly minorities.

Firebrand City Councilman Charles Barron over the weekend demanded that guns be kept out of minority neighborhoods -- but he repeatedly slams the only effective means of doing that: stop-and-frisk.

“The police need to get a brand-new assignment, rather than harassing young black and Latino males,” he said last month.

Meanwhile, on the very day Horton was shot, protesters, including leftist Professor Cornel West, were rallying in Harlem against stop-and-frisk. West railed against “arbitrary police power.”

No doubt, Zurana Horton and her now-motherless 12 kids would have wished for a bit more of that “arbitrary police power.”

Again, stop-and-frisk is no panacea.

Do such stops encroach on civil liberties?

Perhaps. But Horton lost the most important civil liberty of all -- the right to life.

That should count for something, too.

Read more: Slaying of Zurana Horton underscores the need for stop-and-frisk-editorial - NYPOST.com

Couple of thing wrong here. The Victim was mother to 12 kids at age 34.

What was the other 7,271 weapons taken off the street?

Best line ever was> Calls for tougher national gun laws amount to hot air. Besides, the streets are already saturated with illegal handguns

2. Remove Ads

Move out of NY and take your tax dollars and tourist dollars with you.
    Guest1 and Magnum like this.

VIP Member
    Stop and frisk without justified cause? Sounds like a recipe for Civil Rights violation lawsuit. Oh, wait a minute, you surrender your civil rights when you enter NYC!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Stop and Frisk is a total violation of Civil Liberties. Big Brother isn't just watching you, he's feeling you up!
    357and40 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Stop and frisk a thug,find a gun,arrest,charge he/she/it,the ACLU will spend countless amounts of your/mine/their money defending the thug,bringing charges against the jurisdiction,possibly the officer for civil rights violation,now if the guy was on the up&up,then the ACLU would care less!

The Stop and Frisk policy is a good policy. You see a person with a bulge in thier jacket or dropping pants at 1:30 am on the street corner, yes you stop and frisk but present yourself well and like most normal people in bed by 12:00 I see no problem.

VIP Member
    About 90% of the "weapons" confiscated were not guns. This has been reported previously that even if you have a simple, small pocket knife, you will get busted in NYC. Just another city I have no real reason to go to.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    The Stop and Frisk policy is a good policy. You see a person with a bulge in thier jacket or dropping pants at 1:30 am on the street corner, yes you stop and frisk but present yourself well and like most normal people in bed by 12:00 I see no problem.
    Nahh. New York just needs some tougher gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    yes because we should have ZERO freedoms in America and be profiled even though we are just going about our business.... wow. You are conditioned.
    atctimmy likes this.

sorry but NYC could fall into he ocean and NY would be a better place......The CITY does not represent most of the NON city parts of NY....but they over rule us in population. also sorry but MOTHER OF 12 ~!~! at 34...WOW..... the city is just a special place of its own.....
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Wow, 12 kids, really, that must be a misprint.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelGnnr View Post
    MOTHER OF 12 ~!~! at 34...WOW.....
    I guess my brain did not want to process that. I originally read it as "The victim -- Zurana Horton, 34, the mother of a 12 year old." That definitely puts it into a different, scary, octo-mom kind of mental aberration (unless they are all adopted & she is just collecting kids in a bizarre Angelina Jolie kinda way.)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I wonder when "stop and frisk" will be implemented along our southern border.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I wonder when "stop and frisk" will be implemented along our southern border.
    We must avoid offending illegal non- citizens and afford them their constitutional rights of free movement in this country..... only our legal citizens can be violated
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    yes because we should have ZERO freedoms in America and be profiled even though we are just going about our business.... wow. You are conditioned.
    No not conditioned, Blessed. I have all the freedom that I want. I would not be one of the one stopped and frisked no matter what time day or night also I will one of the choosen few in a couple of weeks to carry all I want legally in NYC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links