Micro Meth Labs

This is a discussion on Micro Meth Labs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This may be old news for some, but the "Meth" matter (and increases in crime overall) in N. Texas was one of the impetus for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Micro Meth Labs

Micro Meth Labs

This may be old news for some, but the "Meth" matter (and increases in crime overall) in N. Texas was one of the impetus for Nancy and I to obtain our CHL's.

From the Wall Street Journal: Micro Meth Labs Run Riot - WSJ.com

Police across the U.S. are struggling with a proliferation of busts for methamphetamine production, fueled by the rise of small but dangerous "one pot" labs.

The increasingly popular technique has largely replaced the kitchen-size meth lab with a single, two-liter soda bottle. Ingredients for a batch can easily be obtained on a single trip to a pharmacy and mixed almost anywhere. One-pot labs aren't new, but they are spreading just as budget cuts are reducing police forces.
    Since Tulsa police found the city's first one-pot lab in late 2008, lab busts have soared, reaching 315 in 2009. So far this year, police have busted 372 labs, up from 323 in 2010.

DEA data show that the trend is similar elsewhere. In Virginia, for example, the number of labs and related sites discovered by police has been surging. In Indiana, the number last year was up 64% from 2008, at 1,213. The figures include all types of meth labs, but one-pot operations now predominate.
    Meth cooks usually don't accumulate cash or assets that can be confiscated to offset a probe's costs.

"There's not a whole lot of money involved," Lt. Brown said. "Either people manufacture to supply their own habit or to trade for pseudoephedrine."
    A scourge to be sure..........
    marcclarke likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I recently had a personal experience; A groundskeeper in a neighborhood that I manage, found a suitcase next to a pond in a common area. Inside were all the makings, including a hotplate that they were plugging into an outlet that was in the pump box for a fountain in the pond. The kit was just sitting in the grass for any kid to come along and find.

Our local PD brought in a hazmat team and handled the thing like it was a bomb (apparently these kits can easily explode). One of the plastic containers was actually 'breathing' (expanding and contracting), even though there was a lid tightly on it. I get angry just repeating the story. It's one thing to trash one's own body, but to leave what is essentially a bomb laying there is a level of stupidity and evil that really pushes me.

VIP Member
    "There's not a whole lot of money involved," Lt. Brown said.
    Dang, there goes my retirement plan...

Seriously, though, meth is indeed a scourge - relatively cheap and easy to produce, and extremely destructive to users...
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Heck,

They are showing how to use a on jug method on Date Line & other shows
    They act real concerned about the saftey of the meth heads I think they should have to report them, if they witness any cooking of a illeagal substance PS Won't catch me watching this Dog Crap
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    It even reaches to the well (over) paid athletes ranks - Jeremy Mayfield arrested for meth possession - From the Marbles - NASCAR*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Talk about a guy that threw a lot away - meth can do that to you.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

It's probably the worse drug to hit the streets since Mr. Brownstone hit the scene.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I recently had a personal experience; A groundskeeper in a neighborhood that I manage, found a suitcase next to a pond in a common area. Inside were all the makings, including a hotplate that they were plugging into an outlet that was in the pump box for a fountain in the pond. The kit was just sitting in the grass for any kid to come along and find.

Our local PD brought in a hazmat team and handled the thing like it was a bomb (apparently these kits can easily explode). One of the plastic containers was actually 'breathing' (expanding and contracting), even though there was a lid tightly on it. I get angry just repeating the story. It's one thing to trash one's own body, but to leave what is essentially a bomb laying there is a level of stupidity and evil that really pushes me.
    Not sure about the "one jug" method, but the old multi-hotplate method creates a lot of very hazardous chemicals during the process. Not stuff you want to be exposed to.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Down here we call the one-jug a "Shake&Bake",it is very popular.It is not uncommon for patrol officers to roll up beside someone doing it behind the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Not sure about the "one jug" method, but the old multi-hotplate method creates a lot of very hazardous chemicals during the process. Not stuff you want to be exposed to.
    PharmerAK likes this.

Meth is bad stuff,about as close to zombies as you can get,addicts will do almost anything to get high and refuse to see how bad they are getting,it also causes addicts to "pick" at their skin which leads to open sores all over their arms legs and faces.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    The 300# meth freak coming down and feeling no external pain is why I carry the ACP. Meth is turning out to be a national tragedy...must be Bush's fault.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This method must be the reasoning behind the recent story I heard about a meth lab on a motorcycle. I thought my ears must be decieving me.

I live in one of the top five states nationally for busted clandestine meth labs in '09, but that stat really means nothing until you go run some errands in town and see the physical toll it's taken on people around here, almost can't go to any public place without coming across at least one person who's gotten the teeth erosion, scabs, missing patches of hair, or burns from a lab explosion. And it's a driving force behind a lot of smash and grab robberies (to get the cash for the supplies to make it0 and battery cases in the area (from people being under the influence of it) just this past week, the state police stopped a guy one county away, driving under a mix of meth and benzos, with this family in the car. DNR is constantly putting out reminder warnings about the one pot methods being really easy to stumble across on the trails, and funding to battle what around here is really an epidemic is constantly getting cut or jeopardized.

With it being so on the surface, it's not a reason why I carry, but it's a constant reminder that I need to carry everywhere that I legally am able, because I literally could be right around the corner from a drug manufacturing process; dealers users, home brewers we've got them all in this town, at all levels of the community too, from the unemployed to a now former then county commissioner dealing meth to teens a few years ago.

Glock Certified Armorer

I work doing appraisal for the County that I reside. I have come across a few Meth labs, one of them was in the basement of a house that I had been to recently. It exploded and caught the house on fire. Needless to say, the guy who owns the place and his girl friend were arrested. She bonded out, came back later and had a lab in a 12 x 14 out building that also caught on fire. They keep doing this despite being in and out of jail.

These places are everywhere and not only are they dangerous, the people that run them are equally dangerous. They would kill you in a heart beat because they do not wish to be caught at the trade and will take extreme measures to make it so.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have no use for meth cooks, meth dealers and meth users in my society. They can all leave the planet now. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They've just found 2 of these backpack 2 liter labs within this week in Cedar Rapids...

It's everywhere. It's dangerous.

Those involved with it are extremely dangerous... They fear nothing, not even your gun.

Think about it... They are carrying a bomb. They have no idea if/when it will go off... If while on their back it would probably decapitate them... And you think they're scared of that little hand cannon? They're too dumb/stoned/whacked/in need of a fix to care...
    Guest1 and JoJoGunn like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links