Bullet Deflected from Cigarette Lighter & Saves Life

This is a discussion on Bullet Deflected from Cigarette Lighter & Saves Life within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cigarette Lighter Saves Man's Life Police on Long Island say a lighter in a man's pocket deflected a bullet. Read more: Police: Lighter Deflected Bullet ...

Thread: Bullet Deflected from Cigarette Lighter & Saves Life

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Bullet Deflected from Cigarette Lighter & Saves Life

Cigarette Lighter Saves Man's Life

Police on Long Island say a lighter in a man's pocket deflected a bullet.

Read more: Police: Lighter Deflected Bullet

Police: Lighter Deflected Bullet
    I've seen the video clip on this story but neither reiteration says what caliber was used by the BGs. This goes back to the other thread that Glockman10mm posted the other night about the results that different individuals had from different gunshot wounds/incidents. My stance is that all gunshot wounds are unique due to a number of variables that are at play; almost un-limited angles a bullet can enter the body and the fact that different people have different proportions - some have more muscle, fat or thicker bones which affect penetration. In this story, it just so happens to be a cigarette lighter that deflected a bullet as opposed to a thick bone. Does this mean we should all start carrying a cigarette lighter in our front pocket? Hardly. This same guy could be shot again by the same gun, same type of ammo and at the same angle and instead of deflecting off of the lighter, the bullet could strike a vital organ and kill him.

2. Remove Ads

I'm curious to hear what caliber was used.

At this point, there are so few details, we can't take anything from the story outside of the fact the person who was shot, and is fine, was supremely lucky.

I'd like to know more about it too. I wonder why there is so little info out there in regards to it? My suspicion is that the lighter deflected a small caliber gun but at the same time, it should be noted that the lighter merely deflected the bullet and didn't stop it. Under the right circumstances, is it possible for a cigarette lighter to deflect a .45 ACP?

I don't think its impossible.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good story but if it was that cheap plastic lighter pictured I doubt it would deflect more than a BB gun.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Must NOT have been a .380 as they will go thru a lot of bone. ...Oh sorry wrong thread LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Must NOT have been a .380 as they will go thru a lot of bone. ...Oh sorry wrong thread LOL
    LOL!

I don't think it was 'deflected' I think th bullet grazed him and the location of the graze was the same as the lighter. Had thee lighter not been there, he may have had a nasty scratch.

In one video they showed a bullet that looked like a .380, but it was pristine, did even have and scratches. I don't think it was the actual bullet because it didn't look like it had ever gone through a barrel.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    "Who Needs Kevlar When I Have A Zippo?" or "Smoking Saved My Life!" make appropriate headlines.

VIP Member
    Man lives because of lighter, only to die later from lung cancer.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

One article I read mentioned 9mm. It was also mentioned that either the weapon or the round was fouled and that was the only reason it didn't penetrate. Not sure how official that is (I think it was quoting a LEO involved). Perhaps all Newyorkers should carry lighters as they aren't allowed guns?

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Sounds like a good story but if it was that cheap plastic lighter pictured I doubt it would deflect more than a BB gun.
    Yeah, I'm calling BS on the lighter pictured. It must have been the old school metal flip top type or something. Those plastic lighters EXPLODE just throwing them against a hard object...let alone being SHOT.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links