Campus Police shoot rifleman outside Elizabeth City State U, NC

This is a discussion on Campus Police shoot rifleman outside Elizabeth City State U, NC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bill MO chiefjason, I agree 100%. To understand what I was getting at in my post you have to know what was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Campus Police shoot rifleman outside Elizabeth City State U, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    chiefjason, I agree 100%. To understand what I was getting at in my post you have to know what was in the back of my mind. But there was a lot of sarcasm there.

There may be those who knows, (but who really knows).
    We really need a sarcasm font don't we. I was hoping that was the case.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Do as you wish,but we don't condone breaking the law on this forum,and IMHO if you did shoot somebody while carrying a Concealed gun in a prohibited place you would be arrested and charged "if I read the statute right" with a 3rd degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and you will lose your right to ever touch a firearm again.
    I have no idea if it's legal to carry on campus in Virigina, but due to past shootings..... I'ld assume it is not legal there.

However, it is NOT illegal everywhere.... it is NOT illegal HERE (Kansas) for me to conceal carry on a college campus , nor a K-12 school grounds either. The laws HERE are ... that essentially no-one can post "grounds", parking lots, etc.... only "buildings", and it's legal to carry in any building which is not posted per the approved AG sign and requirements.

Where I live, only 1 of 15 schools is posted for no CC. The University here has their buildings posted, but nothing stops me from "legally" carrying on the campus, or if they decided to take the signs down at the building entrances, in the buildings. However, the University has a "policy" to expel any "students" carrying on campus, but it's not a legal issue.

So, here... there would be no legal consequences related to carrying concealed with a CC license on a campus if they have a CC license, and if they shot someone because their life were threatened / in danger and it was out of self-defense.

If they go into a "legally posted " building and are caught, it's a $50 fine misdemeanor.
    Last edited by Eagleks; November 6th, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    This happened in Elizabeth City, NC, carrying firearms on ANY school grounds to include a university is a Class I felony.

GS_14-269.2
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    This happened in Elizabeth City, NC, carrying firearms on ANY school grounds to include a university is a Class I felony.

GS_14-269.2
    I'm glad I don't live there.
    I only point it out so people do understand, some places it's legal, and guess what... there's been no incidents as a result. Something to point out to their legislature.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I suspect campus security aren't thoroughly trained in the limitations of a handgun when facing a rifle so it doesn't surprise me that he jumped into the fight. Nevertheless, this is a story where a gun accomplished what rules and laws could not: prevention of a tragedy.
    Is that really what happened? I didn't get enough information from the linked news article to get the full picture. Did you read something else? Maybe you are privy to more infomation than I am, but from what I read this story just seems off.

Did the BG actually fire any shots? Was it a real gun? What type? Why did he run away and hide in the woods? Running and hiding is not consistent with the behavior of any other rampaging gunman that I've ever heard of.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just not so sure that we have all of the facts. And frankly, the facts that we do have are kind of weird.

Let's be honest, the Bank of Hollywood shootout proved to the entire world that you don't fight a rifle with a hangun.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I agree with the growing consensus that something is "off" about this story. Atctimmy is right, too little information. The article only says "black man with an assault rifle and there was a confrontation. That sounds an awful lot like it would have the potential to be "we just screwed up but were going to spin the media into a scare story to make us look like we're heroes." There has to be more to this story and something tells me it is critical information.
    Last edited by noway2; November 6th, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fixed italics
    Dadsnugun likes this.

UPDATE:

"Rashaad Gardner carried and aimed an AK 47 assault weapon at the officers and was shot by university police, but still managed to run off into a wooded area. He was apprehended and taken into custody by Elizabeth City police."

Still not alot of details except for the name of the suspect and type of "assault rifle".

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If you Google this story it just list it on this site. Hum strange it is not some where besides here.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Something odd here to me also. This was a rifle vs pistol they should have all run for safety. Pistol is of no use against a rifle. Pistols lose every time just run.
    Emphasis added

Me thinks you ought to look up the Andy Brown/ active shooter incident before posting comments like this: M9 service pistol versus AK-wielding active shooter at 70 yds....

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    it's always a "assault rifle".

Pick your flavor.

Maybe it was a fully automatic ak or m-16.

Article dosen't state make or model of the "assault rifle".

Glad it all worked out for the good guys.

Os
    it was an ak-47

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    .Me thinks you ought to look up the Andy Brown/ active shooter incident before posting comments like this: M9 service pistol versus AK-wielding active shooter at 70 yds....
    There was also a State Trooper with a Glock that took out a guy with a scoped hunting rifle at about the same distance. Ain't ya'll glad I didn't say sniper rifle?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The old "Use my handgun to fight my way to my rifle" doesn't apply if you kill the BG before you reach your rifle.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by jerry12 View Post
    The thing about waiting for the police a lot of people could have been shot before they could get there. Its like where i workNo guns on company propriety and we are not in a town so it could take the sheriff 15 to 20 minutes to get some one there and a lot can happen in that time just like that school kids could have been shot. I know we all still remember VA tech a few years ago.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by BC.Cruiser View Post
    Damn. Here I was, having just disarmed an idiot with a black rifle, carrying the weapon to a secure location and some other idiot with an illegal concealed gun is attempting to shoot ME!
    Don't mess with a crime scene,secure the weapon in place call 911 and let them know the scene is code 4 don't shoot the GD with the CHL badge and sash
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

it could've been an RPG instead..who knows or maybe even a rocket launcher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links