BAD: Robbery suspect shot and killed [Kentucky]

This is a discussion on BAD: Robbery suspect shot and killed [Kentucky] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; THIS happened about 12 miles south of me. The bad part is that the BG was killed after the threat sopped....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: BAD: Robbery suspect shot and killed [Kentucky]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

BAD: Robbery suspect shot and killed [Kentucky]

THIS happened about 12 miles south of me. The bad part is that the BG was killed after the threat sopped.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    similar incident recently in Minnesota. State declined to press charges as there was an additional threat at some point that justified the shooting. Have to wait and see. Could go either way. Wisconsin's new law specifically states you DO HAVE the right to pursue and protect your property. It does not give the right to use lethal force except if your at some point in fear of your personal safety (death or serious injury). sort of cloudy so probably will require a couple of court challenges before it becomes better defined.
    Last edited by Maverickx50; November 7th, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    When you choose to be a crook and rob people, you also should understand that one day you may lose your life in the process.
    Buckj and Vaquero 45 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Even if criminal charges aren't brought against the clerk, you can bet there will be a fat lawsuit filed against the clerk, the station, and Shell Oil (even though they didn't own the station). The bad guy's family is already upset that he was shot outside the station. Apparently, they aren't upset that he was out pulling armed robberies in the wee hours of the morning. But, they are upset that he got shot in the process.

Our entitlement society has now grown to the point that people feel that if they want something they are entitled to take it from you by force. However, if you respond with force, to keep them from taking it; their family gets upset.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

When in doubt remember the 3s rule, it applies to the situation.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Even if criminal charges aren't brought against the clerk, you can bet there will be a fat lawsuit filed against the clerk, the station, and Shell Oil (even though they didn't own the station).
    Now you see what I do. You see, this happened in a town of less than 7000 people. And the last name of the boy that was shot is very, very common in the county. It's one of those situations where you describe the car and 11 people say oh, that's, xxx's, car. Futhermore I am pretty sure there is video of the event. Most every C-Store I do work in seems to have cameras these days. Even of there are no charges filed by the Police, I fee confident the matter will go before the Grand Jury.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Now you see what I do. You see, this happened in a town of less than 7000 people. And the last name of the boy that was shot is very, very common in the county. It's one of those situations where you describe the car and 11 people say oh, that's, xxx's, car. Futhermore I am pretty sure there is video of the event. Most every C-Store I do work in seems to have cameras these days. Even of there are no charges filed by the Police, I fee confident the matter will go before the Grand Jury.
    Oh, you can bet on it. I'm sure the family already has an attorney preparing his lawsuit naming the deep pockets oil company as one of the defendents. Even though they didn't own the station, their name was on the sign outside. My handgun permit instructor told us a story about a fellow who shot a man who had threatened to kill him previously and who he caught climbing through his bathroom window armed with a pistol. The bad guy's family had already filed a lawsuit before they held their dear departed's funeral.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm gonna sound like an old guy, but here it is anyway: I remember a day when the family would have hung their heads in shame and apologized for the dead BG's actions - and I'm not all THAT old.

What happened - nowadays they just lawyer up as if someone done them wrong.
    I guess the family is just as hot after the easy money as the BG was... they're no better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    similar incident recently in Minnesota. State declined to press charges as there was an additional threat at some point that justified the shooting. Have to wait and see. Could go either way. Wisconsin's new law specifically states you DO HAVE the right to pursue and protect your property. It does not give the right to use leather force except if your at some point in fear of your personal safety (death or serious injury). sort of cloudy so probably will require a couple of court challenges before it becomes better defined.
    Perhaps if someone used "leather force" at an earlier time the kid wouldn't have robbed the store.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    good catch I fixed that. My mother who was an English teacher would be very unhappy LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Actually my father used "leather force" once on me and it kept me on the straight and narrow.

To dad "leather force" was a wide thick leather belt applied with the force of his arm swinging it onto my butt.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm assuming that this crime being a felony or not is contingent upon the amount taken. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can use lethal force in KY so as to stop a felony. To play it on the safe side, if I were the store manager, I wouldn't have chased the thug outside. My life is worth more than a few bucks and some cigarettes. Also, I wouldn't want someone to come back and say that my life was no longer in danger since the threat had left, I merely wanted to play vigilante. Too many unknown risks are involved with chasing the thug down and putting an end to his life. The problems that this clerk could have may follow him for years to come. I say all of this with the risk of being accused of being an armed chair quarterback because I feel that others may benefit from this line of reasoning if he/she ever finds him/herself in a similar situation.

Also, I'm wondering if money stolen from small stores are insured in a similar fashion the same as it is when banks are robbed. Do stores have insurance that protect them from robbery? I don't know, I'm asking.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If I were to be on the jury, the clerk would walk. That said, in KY. if a shoot is ruled justified then no civil case can follow.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Actually my father used "leather force" once on me and it kept me on the straight and narrow.

To dad "leather force" was a wide thick leather belt applied with the force of his arm swinging it onto my butt.

OS
    I learned about leather force as a boy, I was not a smart boy. I had to be taught several times. After a while I learned and did not forget.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    When in doubt remember the 3s rule, it applies to the situation.
    Shoot, shovel and shut up?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links