Returning from Berlin after 50 years

This is a discussion on Returning from Berlin after 50 years within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was there for the 50th Anniversary of the American-Soviet Panzerconfrontation. The first day of Memorial Ceremonies had us at C P Charlie for a ...

Thread: Returning from Berlin after 50 years

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Returning from Berlin after 50 years

I was there for the 50th Anniversary of the American-Soviet Panzerconfrontation.
    The first day of Memorial Ceremonies had us at C P Charlie for a dedication of a Memorial about the incident. One of my biggest shocks was what happened to the building we used as an OP and machine gun positions. It is now a McDonalds. Wow talke about the signs of an American victory.
    Here are two pictures from the same position 50 years apart.

2. Remove Ads

I was stationed in berlin from 84 to 87 my ex still lives there and she send me photos from mc nair barrecks where i lived and i would not be able to tell it was a military compound now. one thing is for certain if you were stationed in berlin back in the day you were living in history that will never be repeated
    prepare for the worst;Hope for the best

Amazing how things turn out. I recently watched an Anthony Bourdain episode that he did in Berlin. He mentions seeing a Berliner wearing a tee shirt that said: "I want my wall back." Below that in smaller letters the message continued with: "This time make it taller."
    Go figure.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the followup, Threefeathers.

I was a BRAT in Stuttgart Germany in 68-69,there were army bases all over the place,they had a shuttle bus and we could jump on and make the circuit,I was glad to see the wall get torn down.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Amazing how things turn out. I recently watched an Anthony Bourdain episode that he did in Berlin. He mentions seeing a Berliner wearing a tee shirt that said: "I want my wall back." Below that in smaller letters the message continued with: "This time make it taller."
    Go figure.
    Hi. That was a small group of West Berliners who were getting tired of subsidizing East Berliners who were used to being dolled to. That has changed and there is a huge building boom in the east zone. My hotel Andels Hotel is a 4 star in the East and it was filled.

Interesting. Thank you!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I love Berlin.. I've never been in the military, but I like to take my vacations in Europe when possible. Here's a photo of me standing at the top of the capital building in Berlin, with the German flag in the background.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Go figure.
    Yup, and we've got people who still fly Confederate flags.

Berlin is a great city and I would love to visit it again some day.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

One of the few remaining guard towers that were 100-200 meters from each other.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yup, and we've got people who still fly Confederate flags.

Berlin is a great city and I would love to visit it again some day.
    A lot of those people fly them for the wrong reasons. I don't/won't fly one because it would be taken the wrong way. I know I have ancestors who fought- I'm not proud of the side they were fighting for- but I know they fought. My great-grandfather (WWII; Army, Navy), my grandfather (Vietnam; Army), my stepfather (Army)- I've had pretty much at least one man from every generation in some branch of the military, and I'm sure it goes back much further than that. I fly a U.S. flag because that's where I'm from, and because that's what my family has fought for. If it could be taken with that same grain of salt, I might fly the Confederate flag. But, because people can't take it like it's meant by the person flying it, I won't be able to represent my heritage.
    -Rant off-

A lot of people don't know WHY things were done the way they were, and want to go back to the way they think it was. Some people are just too stupid to know the difference.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

No one in their right mind would really want to return to those days.
    Here is a picture of the O P in 1961. This is the one that is a McDonalds now.

VIP Member
    Cool. Great pictures!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

The actual ceremony began with a dedication of the memorial and then a select few of us went to the upstairs of the CP Charlie Museum for a discussion.
    Chuck Clay represented his grandfather and he did a fabulous job, Sergie Khruschev, Nikita's grandson proclaimed his loyalty as a new American citizen then proceeded to give a good commie whitewash. Chuck Clay used some of the pictures I had taken in 1961 to refute K.
    I had two tickets and I brought a fellow who had spent 15 years in East German prison who managed to tell the truth. So I was unwelcome by the Russians and their supporters, welcome by the Germans who knew the turth and very welcome by the TV and Dr. Axel Klausmeier the director of the Wall Museum on Bernauer Strasse.

Links