Good : Bank Robbery Stopped Before Happening!

Good : Bank Robbery Stopped Before Happening!

This is a discussion on Good : Bank Robbery Stopped Before Happening! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alert citizens and calm professional Wayne Co. Sheriff Deputies. Stupid criminals. Two men arrested minutes before attempted robbery November 09, 2011 @ 12:15 AM LACIE ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By Gene83

Thread: Good : Bank Robbery Stopped Before Happening!

Thumbs up Good : Bank Robbery Stopped Before Happening!

Alert citizens and calm professional Wayne Co. Sheriff Deputies.

Stupid criminals.

Two men arrested minutes before attempted robbery
    November 09, 2011 @ 12:15 AM

LACIE PIERSON

The Herald-Dispatch

LAVALETTE,WV -- Two men were arrested after their plan to rob a Lavalette bank was foiled by Wayne County Sheriff's Deputies and an observant passerby, who reported the pair's suspicious activity Tuesday morning.

James Eric Estep, 22, of Huntington, and Frank Joseph Clair Jolliff, also 22, of Ashland, were arrested and charged with felony bank robbery after a person noticed the pair acting suspicious while they were parked in a lot behind Huntington Bank in Lavalette and a nearby tire shop, according to criminal complaints filed in Wayne County Magistrate Court.

The call came in at 7:24 a.m. Tuesday, minutes before employees were scheduled to arrive and open the bank. A deputy arrived at the lot moments later to find the suspects' vehicle, a blue Jeep Cherokee, and Estep and Jolliff nearby.

The deputy drew a weapon and gave the pair verbal commands to get on the ground. While Jolliff complied, Estep, who was observed wearing a ski mask when the deputy arrived, ran around the other side of the vehicle, where the deputy couldn't see him.

Following a heated exchange, Estep came out from behind the vehicle, without the ski mask, and laid on the ground. The deputy was able to hold the pair at gunpoint until backup units could arrive.

Once the men were in custody, a search of the jeep yielded the ski mask, along with a plastic, but realistic-looking, semi-automatic pistol. When a wrecker service arrived to tow the vehicle, deputies discovered a pellet gun beneath the vehicle.

When questioned, the witness who reported the incident to authorities said he saw Estep and Jolliff pull into the parking lot, where Estep "fumbled around" in the glove compartment for something. He said Estep exited the vehicle and walked between two nearby businesses to observe the bank, and Jolliff backed the vehicle onto the parking lot of Mainstream Services, and he looked into the front door twice.

The witness said he saw one of the men take a plastic bag and cover up the license plate of the Jeep before the deputy arrived.

A background check revealed both men had previously been arrested for armed robbery.

Estep and Jolliff were incarcerated at the Western Regional Jail Monday night. Bond was set at $200,000 for each man.
    Two men arrested minutes before attempted robbery - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    That is right in the heart of my old stomping grounds. I must have eaten at that Taco Bell 1000 times.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The witness was in PreCrime.

I'm glad they caught the guys... but what were they be charged with? Pellet gun under the car? Toy gun in car? bag over license plate? Ski mask on a hot day? I'm sure they're all misdemeanors. $200K bond, seems a bit over the top.

It'd be interesting to see what they end up with for charges/fines/sentences.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    James Eric Estep, 22, of Huntington, and Frank Joseph Clair Jolliff, also 22, of Ashland, were arrested and charged with felony bank robbery after a person noticed the pair acting suspicious while they were parked in a lot behind Huntington Bank in Lavalette and a nearby tire shop, according to criminal complaints filed in Wayne County Magistrate Court.
    Interesting, charged with a crime they did not commit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Interesting observation, archer51.

However, the alternative is to let them go through with it, and there was no way to know that they had a toy gun. It's not worth risking getting someone killed. Even in the remote chance that they did not intend to rob the bank, I'd still put this in the stupid game/prize category.

Whec says lock 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Conspiracy to commit robbery would seem the more appropriate charge..

A criminal conspiracy exists when two or more people agree to commit almost any unlawful act, then take some action toward its completion. The action taken need not itself be a crime, but it must indicate that those involved in the conspiracy knew of the plan and intended to break the law. One person may be charged with and convicted of both conspiracy and the underlying crime based on the same circumstances.

For example, Andy, Dan, and Alice plan a bank robbery. They 1) visit the bank first to assess security, 2) pool their money and buy a gun together, and 3) write a demand letter. All three can be charged with conspiracy to commit robbery, regardless of whether the robbery itself is actually attempted or completed.

Conspiracy - FindLaw
    joker1 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    I agree they should have been stopped from committing the robbery, however I don't think the charges were the correct ones to file. The Conspiracy charge would have probably been more appropriate.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    They were with the TSA just testing the bank's security.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

tts
    I agree. They should have been stopped, but armed robbery is not the correct charge to file. Any decent prosecutor should know that.

The charges will more than likely be amended once the facts are presented to the DA,Conspiracy seems to be more likely since they never actually robbed it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Really, all I can say to those who only have the comment of "that's the wrong charge" is that we are talking about a source of this story being the news. And we all know the news doesn't get their facts wrong, NEVER! That was probably the only thing that the article writer knew about the law, there are different crimes that they will be charged with.

Good job to those people that saw these two and decided to make the call to their sheriff's office!

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by hi_altitude View Post
    Really, all I can say to those who only have the comment of "that's the wrong charge" is that we are talking about a source of this story being the news. And we all know the news doesn't get their facts wrong, NEVER! That was probably the only thing that the article writer knew about the law, there are different crimes that they will be charged with.

Good job to those people that saw these two and decided to make the call to their sheriff's office!
    Good point! We've all seen our fair share of news mix-ups.

Excellent !!

Sponsored Links