This is why you can't always shoot someone in the back

This is a discussion on This is why you can't always shoot someone in the back within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Even with their own gun, even after they've used it to shoot your 4 year old son..... Story Here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: This is why you can't always shoot someone in the back

This is why you can't always shoot someone in the back

Even with their own gun, even after they've used it to shoot your 4 year old son.....

Story Here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The story says he may face charges. Then again, maybe he won't. Time will tell.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    He looked like he was turning around, & I thought he might have another weapon.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    He looked like he was turning around, & I thought he might have another weapon.
    While that sounds good, an investigator will find a way to trip someone up who is lying to cover their butt.

Odds are if it does go to trial they will have a hard time finding a jury willing to convict a father who just saw their child shot. I know I'd vote for acquittal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Shouldn't be a damn trial.
    WHEC724 and poppy37 like this.

While I don't care about the BG being shot, I'm not certain the title of this thread is relevant. The father did not shoot his son, the BG did. It should be more about not running after a BG and then shooting them.

I'm hoping the father does not have to face any charges. What a terrible thing to have to bear witness to.

While that sounds good, an investigator will find a way to trip someone up who is lying to cover their butt.

Like your attorney would say, already asked and answered!

Well, this case certinally blurs the lines, dosn't it?

One of the rules of deadly force I've been taught is to prevent the escape of a violent criminal.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Did you guys read the story? He chased them down as they ran away and in a park down the road shot one of them in the back. That is vengeance, not self defense. Even if the one he shot turned around at him to fight, he escalated the conflict by chasing them. And why wasn't he focused on getting his son help? This one sounds like the dad did not do a great job.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Even with their own gun, even after they've used it to shoot your 4 year old son.....

Story Here
    Bring the man and family in the story to Texas....all expenses paid....set his kid up at Dell's Children's Medical Center. Legally, he goes to jail in NY. NY selfdefense law is a cluster. Forced Sheepdom.......

I notice that this occurred under New York Sheepdom Law.

We can anecdotally find supporting data for either side of this "shoot in the back" thing on google all day long.

Here is my bottom line: Know the law in your own State. Act accordingly to stay legal. Be able to articulate your lethal force actions to show your lethal force actions complied with your State's use of lethal force law only with your Quality attorney present.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

To bad he only wounded the perp !! I can say this, I would have done the same thing. There's justice by the law and then there's justice by common sense and retribution.
    Sig 210 and poppy37 like this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

You shoot my kid I dont care how long it takes

I will find you and shoot you in the back, face whatever!
    poppy37 and jumpwing like this.

I probably would have done the same thing. If you shot my kid in fromt of me. I probably would have tried to shoot all of them and worry about the law later.
    jumpwing likes this.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Well, would you leave a wounded child you were with (family/friend whatever) and chase down the BG and THEN shoot them?

That's going beyond the scope of what most, myself included, would conclude as acceptable. In most cases. The reality is, I don't have all of the information here, and I don't know why the father did what he did.

Had the father shot the BG without chasing him, then that would be cut and dry. While not prudent, I can see how the adrenalin rush can make you do certain things.

I'm not nominating the guy for Father of the year, but I can hope he learns from this and makes better choices in the future.

Senior Moderator
    This one sounds like the dad did not do a great job.
    Correct. The bad guy lived.

I'm not nominating the guy for Father of the year, but I can hope he learns from this and makes better choices in the future.
    I hope he becomes a better shot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links