One less thug- Officer kills shoplifting suspect in TN

This is a discussion on One less thug- Officer kills shoplifting suspect in TN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm glad none of the officers were hurt. KPD: Shoplifting suspect fatally shot after pulling gun on officer inside Walmart Knoxville News Sentinel KNOXVILLE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: One less thug- Officer kills shoplifting suspect in TN

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

I'm glad none of the officers were hurt.

KPD: Shoplifting suspect fatally shot after pulling gun on officer inside Walmart Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE A suspected shoplifter was fatally shot by police tonight inside a Walmart in South Knoxville, authorities said.

According to Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch, at approximately 6:42 p.m., two male suspects were being detained in the store's loss prevention office after they were seen allegedly shoplifting merchandise.

Two KPD officers were interviewing the suspects inside the office when one of the men began to struggle with one of the officers and then pulled out a handgun, the chief said. Before the suspect could fire the weapon, the officer shot him an unspecified number of times in self-defense, Rausch said.

The suspect was killed and the second man was taken into custody.

The identities of the officers, who were not injured, were not immediately available.

More details as they develop online and in Wednesday's News Sentinel.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Glad the officers weren't injured.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

That's a novel way to slash everyday prices at Walmart. I prefer the "one hand" surgical removal method for first time shoplifters myself though.

Glad it turned out as it did.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    That's a novel way to slash everyday prices at Walmart. I prefer the "one hand" surgical removal method for first time shoplifters myself though.
    Exactly....I like this method myself. No need in taking lives or putting them in jail where it costs taxpayers. Let them be a walking message to other indigents. Taking a life over shoplifting while pedophiles and child molesters continue to walk our streets just seems like irresponsible techniques to me. Pulling a gun on anyone deserves a like response however. Be sure what you are doing and where you'd like to be tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Wow! That was a very dangerous situation for the loss prevention guys. What if the cops had not been available so soon? I almost guarantee the thugs would have used armed force against them eventually.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Inside a compact area like a small office,if things go south it can be extremely hard to get enough seperation to effectively employ your firearm,thats why Its a good idea to practice shooting from retention
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Can't agree with following Sharia law for shop lifters. Most shoplifters are under age 21, with the peak age of 15. Nine out of ten shoplifters are under age 29 according to safetycops.com Most shop lifters under age of 21who are caught, never shop lift again, so I'd hate to see a bunch of middle school and high school kids walking around with one hand......I think criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits brought by the victim is the way to go...

I also can't figure out why the perp didn't pull the weapon before he went to the office with the loss prevention guys, and run out of the store??? Well, as I have heard, stupid is as stupid does... Glad no one who didn't have it coming was hurt...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Glad the officers weren't injured.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    Can't agree with following Sharia law for shop lifters. Most shoplifters are under age 21, with the peak age of 15. Nine out of ten shoplifters are under age 29 according to safetycops.com Most shop lifters under age of 21who are caught, never shop lift again, so I'd hate to see a bunch of middle school and high school kids walking around with one hand......I think criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits brought by the victim is the way to go...

I also can't figure out why the perp didn't pull the weapon before he went to the office with the loss prevention guys, and run out of the store??? Well, as I have heard, stupid is as stupid does... Glad no one who didn't have it coming was hurt...
    The young man had been in trouble before, was out of jail on parole, and would likely have had the parole revoked with the new charges.

Knoxville police identify man killed in Walmart shooting Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    The young man had been in trouble before, was out of jail on parole, and would likely have had the parole revoked with the new charges.

Knoxville police identify man killed in Walmart shooting Knoxville News Sentinel
    Guess he thought getting killed or killing the officers would be better than going back inside. Really shows you how the mind of a repeat offender works...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Guess he thought getting killed or killing the officers would be better than going back inside. Really shows you how the mind of a repeat offender works...
    Especially a mind that has been drugged up.

"Investigators have been informed that Russell had consumed non-prescribed schedule pain medication earlier in the evening," DeBusk said.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

What a dope! So afraid of going back to prison, he commits a crime....what did he think would happen? A beer summit, maybe? Looking for death by cop?
    Jeez.
    And, another one gone, and another one gone.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

This person was not shot for shoplifting. He was shot because he attempted to take another persons life.

Michael
    ep1953 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This person was not shot for shoplifting. He was shot because he attempted to take another persons life.

Michael
    Are you referring to the title of this post, or someone's reply?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links