Man fends off robbers with shovel, takes two in the legs

This is a discussion on Man fends off robbers with shovel, takes two in the legs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This could have turned out a lot worse. He and his wife could both be dead. He did the best he could with what he ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 3 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Man fends off robbers with shovel, takes two in the legs

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Man fends off robbers with shovel, takes two in the legs

This could have turned out a lot worse. He and his wife could both be dead. He did the best he could with what he could get his hands on. Even got in a couple of good licks, but unfortunately, to no avail.

Troy man shot twice while trying to fight back against a masked gunman who assauted his wife
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Yep, pretty foolish to bring a shovel to a gunfight.

There's never going to be a shortage of victims for the wolves to prey on.

Our only hope is the wolves run into more people who are prepared and properly armed so we can help rid the world of ruthless predators.
    baren likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Swing the shovel edge first, don't hit him with the flat side !!!
    Hopyard likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Never give up. Better to take two to the legs than to be discovered face down beside the wife with one in the back of the head.
    Tzadik, Hopyard and Bark'n like this.

I've about had it with those who either ignore or refuse to take proper steps to defend themselves.
    It's like refusing life or fire insurance (and most can afford SOMETHING), and then being sad when tragedy strikes.

Had this individual been a little more aware of his surroundings and been armed...the results could have been drastically different. Obviously there are no guarantees, but your chances of success rise significantly.

Everyone knows that dirtbags abound...everyone knows that proper 'tools and training' are available...if you choose not to arm yourself, then you may just have to suffer the consequences.
    It no longer can be viewed as being paranoid...the simple fact is that life is becoming much more dangerous, and the chances of becoming a victim are pretty high.
    Those who choose to ignore reality will suffer greatly...perhaps with his/her own life.

I get sick of talking to people about SD/HD and preparing for the coming possible collapse. They look at you and shake a head 'yes', but inside appear to be thinking, "What a kook!"

Bark'n likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I liked his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've about had it with those who either ignore or refuse to take proper steps to defend themselves.
    It's like refusing life or fire insurance (and most can afford SOMETHING), and then being sad when tragedy strikes.

Had this individual been a little more aware of his surroundings and been armed...the results could have been drastically different. Obviously there are no guarantees, but your chances of success rise significantly.

Everyone knows that dirtbags abound...everyone knows that proper 'tools and training' are available...if you choose not to arm yourself, then you may just have to suffer the consequences.
    It no longer can be viewed as being paranoid...the simple fact is that life is becoming much more dangerous, and the chances of becoming a victim are pretty high.
    Those who choose to ignore reality will suffer greatly...perhaps with his/her own life.

I get sick of talking to people about SD/HD and preparing for the coming possible collapse. They look at you and shake a head 'yes', but inside appear to be thinking, "What a kook!"

I know just how you feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Great for him............never quit.
    Some dumb ass prosecutor will check to see if the shovel was legal............here in NJ he'd be charged.

Right attitude, wrong tool! Glad they got away with their lives, this time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Swing the shovel edge first, don't hit him with the flat side !!!
    I would revise what you're saying by jabbing the shovel edge first, rather than swinging it. Swinging takes way too long.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

It's really good he survived the attack.

It's really bad that he didn't have a Mossberg 500 strapped to his shovel for some added whooomph.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links