"It" can happen anywhere

"It" can happen anywhere

This is a discussion on "It" can happen anywhere within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Note the last sentence in the report, which is one of the reasons why I moved my (80+ yr old) parents from Motown to SCS ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By F350

Thread: "It" can happen anywhere

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

"It" can happen anywhere

Note the last sentence in the report, which is one of the reasons why I moved my (80+ yr old) parents from Motown to SCS over 5 yrs ago. Although, this doesn't appear to be a random killing, you never know.

Suspect arrested after man fatally shot in St. Clair Shores
    Last edited by MotorCityGun; November 21st, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Just remember one truth. If you only carried when you were sure you would need your gun then you wouldn't need a gun as you wouldn't go there. You just never know when or where or how bad stuff will happen. Latest trend for robberies of patrons filling up with gas is just the latest example.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Latest trend for robberies of patrons filling up with gas is just the latest example.
    Which is why, when I fill up, it's left (weak) hand on the gas nozzle, back to the vehicle, facing the pump. Head on a swivel, right (strong) hand, free and available for the unexpected.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Which is why, when I fill up, it's left (weak) hand on the gas nozzle, back to the vehicle, facing the pump. Head on a swivel, right (strong) hand, free and available for the unexpected.
    yep, except I have my right hand in my pants pocket wrapped around my Keltec PF-9. "You want money? Sure, lets see how much I have in pocket."
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I recently moved to Grand Junction and was checking the local Sportsman's Warehouse and got to talking to the guy at the gun counter, he seemed to be pretty level headed and I asked about the CCW classes they offer and a couple questions on the CCW laws. Well another guy was standing there and he tells of an indecent he had maybe a month earlier with a state trooper.

He had been stopped for going a little too fast, when the State Trooper returned to his car he said records showed he had his CCW and asked if he was armed. The guy said he replied he didn't carry that often, only when he felt he might need it, the trooper said "We have a law requiring you wear your seat-belt all the time, not just when you think you might need it" and gave him his ticket. He said he "usually" carries now.
    Bubbiesdad, Aduc and ZX9RCAM like this.

Of course bad things can happen anytime and anywhere, that is just now a fact of life. Problem is that we can become too complacent in our approach and just want to live in denial that "oh, it won't happen to me, I live in a safe area!"

The way things are going, no place should be deemed "safe" anymore. This mentality of those who think they are owed something from others it what drives the criminal. Also, substance abuse is on the rise and seems like there will be more to come. Those people cannot or will not work due to their addiction so they commit robberies and home invasion to get the money for their habit.

Just a fact of life nowadays. Best thing is to be aware of it, be prepared and if necessary, shoot it until it goes away.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I live in a quiet neighborhood. Usually less than a half dozen cars will pass my house on any given day and they belong to my neighbors. Still, I know that crime is taking place less than a mile away and the nature of the crime is changing. People today will kill you without emotion or remorse. They don't even give it a second thought. The court immediately orders a psychiatric evaluation (at taxpayer expense) and the defense is off and running with an insanity plea...
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I live in a very safe city in a very good sub-division. Last weekend on Sunday morning a cop came by and talked to my wife. Apparently the night before our neighbors house got robbed. Literally, right across the street from us. Apparently, there have been two other robberies on my street within the last month or so. I guess it goes to show you criminals go to the nice areas to rob people, not always in the bad/poor areas.
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

"I never thought it would happen to me" is on my list of things I'll never have to say.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Note the last sentence in the report, which is one of the reasons why I moved my (80+ yr old) parents from Motown to SCS over 5 yrs ago. Although, this doesn't appear to be a random killing, you never know.

Suspect arrested after man fatally shot in St. Clair Shores
    St. Clair Shores borders Detroit. St. Clair Shores is safe because they respond quickly to crime, but step across the line into Detroit...you'll quickly become a victim.
    I guess some of the Detroit scum is floating across the St. Clair Shores line...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    St. Clair Shores borders Detroit. St. Clair Shores is safe because they respond quickly to crime, but step across the line into Detroit...you'll quickly become a victim.
    I guess some of the Detroit scum is floating across the St. Clair Shores line...
    It wasn't "Detroit scum" after all. It appears the shooter knew the victim.

Man charged with murder in St. Clair Shores shooting | News - Home

NRA Life

We're in a fairly nice neighborhood ourselves but this ummer we were broken into shortly after my wife and I left for work. We know they were casing the house but we don't know why they were casing ours. Long story short it was a day I decided not to carry on my trip to work so my weapon was in my nightstand and loaded! They got in and out with almost all of my wife's jewlery in about 5 minutes or less. When we got home and the sheriffs arrived I had to tell them where the gun was and that they needed to clear the house.

Bottom line is we now have a safe and I always carry in and out of the house and never, ever leave anything not locked up. We also seriously upgraded the alarm system.

I'm working next on training teh cats to attack, but that is a very, very slow process...

It can happen anywhere!

Sponsored Links