Bad: Petit family Redux (almost)

This is a discussion on Bad: Petit family Redux (almost) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, this is getting more common... whole family (victims) in home invasion are separated from one another. Women and kids one way, Father another... Just ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: Bad: Petit family Redux (almost)

Bad: Petit family Redux (almost)

So, this is getting more common... whole family (victims) in home invasion are separated from one another. Women and kids one way, Father another...

Just sitting down to dinner... they bust in and...

here's the story

And here's another from the same area:

Dad working in garage, goes into house guys with masks push him in...

Story
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This family had an alarm system...

I'm going to link to this in scenarios, I'd like to see how we (collectively) might respond.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

We they did all they could just do whatever they want to keep it from escalating.

What needed to be done has to be done prior to this happening. Home secured well enough that it will take a second try to break in. Giving time enough for family to put their plan of action into work. You do have a plan right?
    Its like any other plan where will the family meet in a fire? What neighbors house?
    Women children to safe room and dialing 911. Dad does his thing, no not Rambo retreating to keep family and thugs separated while drawing or obtaining Home defense weapon of choice. (Shotgun/Rifle/pistole)

My doors are always locked and deadbolted,even when I'm inside,I always have a gun on me, or within arms reach.
    TheGiant likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Funny that you mention the Petit family. That incident changed my attitude towards home security. Shortly after seeing that story on the news a few years ago I added an alarm system, video cameras, and better striker plates. I also started locking the doors even when we're home during the day. In the past it was not unusual to leave all of the doors unlocked and garage door open if we were home and the sun was out. I wish I could have a gun handy all of the time, but I admit it gets tiring wearing it around the house. And since I have a child I have to keep my firearms in a safe when I don't have them on my body. I'm just glad these people ended up alive, that is the main thing that separates them from the Petit family.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

People have got to start preparing for the worst if they are going to expect to have any chance of battling these types of monsters...

My solution is pretty simple really... I have our computer/media room on the second floor and my doors are always locked and the "chime" is always on.. I know when anyone enters or leaves my house; always. Depending on what time of day and who's supposed to be there or not, if some unlucky puck, or two makes the big mistake of choosing my home for a home invasion, I'll drop um like a bad habit from the top of my staircase with my Mossberg.
    TheGiant likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    People have got to start preparing for the worst if they are going to expect to have any chance of battling these types of monsters...

My solution is pretty simple really... I have our computer/media room on the second floor and my doors are always locked and the "chime" is always on.. I know when anyone enters or leaves my house; always. Depending on what time of day and who's supposed to be there or not, if some unlucky puck, or two makes the big mistake of choosing my home for a home invasion, I'll drop um like a bad habit from the top of my staircase with my Mossberg.
    Good, but one of these folks had an alarm system, which was not on... and the other was downstairs sitting down with the family to dinner...

Now, if your doors are reinforced, the sitting down to dinner case gives you time... And if you are out in the garage, at say, a workbench, and leave to go inside for another cup o' joe, with the O'head door open, they rush in behind you... which was the other case above.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Good, but one of these folks had an alarm system, which was not on... and the other was downstairs sitting down with the family to dinner...

Now, if your doors are reinforced, the sitting down to dinner case gives you time... And if you are out in the garage, at say, a workbench, and leave to go inside for another cup o' joe, with the O'head door open, they rush in behind you... which was the other case above.
    True points for sure, but let's not forget. I'm about as big of an advocate as one can get for being armed, even while at home. Sitting down for dinner, or having my morning coffee. Some idiot that thinks what lurks behind my locked door is gonna be an easy mark, is in for one heck of a surprise. Truth be known, I give myself a 50/50 chance of being the victor in just about any altercation simply by the way I prepare, and I do it daily.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    True points for sure, but let's not forget. I'm about as big of an advocate as one can get for being armed, even while at home. Sitting down for dinner, or having my morning coffee. Some idiot that thinks what lurks behind my locked door is gonna be an easy mark, is in for one heck of a surprise. Truth be known, I give myself a 50/50 chance of being the victor in just about any altercation simply by the way I prepare, and I do it daily.
    Amen. Preparation is paramount, but so is the mindset. If you're wondering if you should comply or not when they enter your home, you've already lost.

Doors always locked, and a gun within arms reach or on my hip. I work from home full time and live alone.. always a gun in the desk drawer next to me as well as on me. Rottweiler wandering around the house along with driveway alarms. It is easier for me to just watch out for myself, and not have to worry about kids leaving doors unlocked or a garage door open. People suck. Trust next to no one.

All hinges and bolts on outside doors are reinforced with longer screws. Locked the vast majority of the time. Kick bars on the 2 outside doors if they are locked. Gun on my side nearly all the time. A couple more readily accessible. And good neighbors that pay close attention to what happens in the neighborhood. The dinner scenario would end very differently here. The garage on is something I think about though. Some days I am in and out a lot and can't keep the OH door closed or the house door locked, well I choose not to.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    All hinges and bolts on outside doors are reinforced with longer screws. Locked the vast majority of the time. Kick bars on the 2 outside doors if they are locked. Gun on my side nearly all the time. A couple more readily accessible. And good neighbors that pay close attention to what happens in the neighborhood. The dinner scenario would end very differently here. The garage on is something I think about though. Some days I am in and out a lot and can't keep the OH door closed or the house door locked, well I choose not to.
    There, we have some honesty...

One of these two scenarios may be the one that gets you... probably not... but maybe. My doors are locked, usually. not always, and not always all of them. I am not one to put kick bars on all the doors as soon as I enter. I do have dogs that would alert me.

I rely on the dogs primarily. They are my early warning system, and they are "set" a bit over sensitive... that's okay by me. I'd rather check out some false alarms than not have an alarm when needed.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

We have kicked around getting a dog, but it's a small house and my wife is not keen on having one more thing to take care of. The kick bars are for her mostly, but I like them now. We had a string of break ins where they kicked in the doors. That's what led to reenforcing the doors and the kick bars. And the fact that I work second shift and get home late at night. It's about balance. Finding the level of security that meets your needs and fits the area you are in. Preparing for everything will drive you nuts, but preparing for most is not too hard.

As an aside, I had a guy come up my driveway a bit too fast on a scooter while I was in the garage. He jumped off the scooter fast talking about selling signs and such and really closed the distance to the entrance of my garage. A bit too aggressive for my taste. So I came out and met him with my strong side showing my G19. He took note. One no thanks sent him on his way. A month later he was arrested for scamming some folks in the area by selling them reflective signs but not delivering them. My encounters with the door to door types are not only more polite, but the are shorter since I OC at home. YMMV
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links