Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I go to the range I never fire my self defense rounds. So they always stay in my mag on my hip and I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen

When I go to the range I never fire my self defense rounds. So they always stay in my mag on my hip and I use fmj rounds for practice/fun. This is one reason I love Alaska, everyone has a gun, someone is always carrying, and plenty of people open carry. Yes we have gun violence but not to the extreme of other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
    When I arrived two gentlemen were getting ready to leave, we chatted for a moment and as they were leaving they reminded me to watch over my shoulder and relayed the story of this man being shot, then suggested I keep a clip loaded at all times and be ready to defend myself as these guys were never caught.
    Any word on how Mr. Payne is doing now?

Hope he recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    Where in the hell were the other guys at the range? I cannot believe someone was not witnessing this and doing nothing other than ******* in their pants.
    Some ranges have keypad entry so you could be there alone with somebody who isnt a range supervisor and end up shot. Thats why i only stay if theres a crowd, too many psychos.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Some ranges have keypad entry so you could be there alone with somebody who isnt a range supervisor and end up shot. Thats why i only stay if theres a crowd, too many psychos.
    Members of the range I shoot at are given the combination of the lock. Most the time when I go it is just me and maybe one or two others. But I seldom go on weekends when most folks show up. Yes it is possible that some psycho will show up, I refuse to give up the things I enjoy. If it happens it happens. I do take care and watch for trouble I will not let it control my life.

I would guess that there are more psycho's at the grocery store than there will be at my shooting range. I don't let that stop me from buying groceries.

Michael

There are no locks at Toppers. There's only a single arm gate to prevent driving down to the range. You walk about a half of a block down a small road flanked by trees then it opens up to show the two tables and the berm. That's it. Anyone can walk in at any time and them being armed doesn't raise suspicion. I'm sure these two were probably shooting next to Mr. Payne and decided when he turned his back to them to take what was his, including his life. Luckily they didn't succeed in that particular endeavor.

No one can see you from the road, no one is walking by accidentally, and if someone heard the shots they would have paid no attention to them, they were just more shots coming from this area. Sad to say but this is really the perfect place to do what they did and probably why they've not been caught.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    God Bless Mr. Payne. This makes me physically sick. What kind of world do we live in? Evil is a real thing, my brothers. I will pray for Mr. Payne and his family. We need to keep in mind that the Lord always has the last word.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Thank you for the update, bigdogtx.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    God Bless Mr. Payne. This makes me physically sick. What kind of world do we live in? Evil is a real thing, my brothers. I will pray for Mr. Payne and his family. We need to keep in mind that the Lord always has the last word.
    I'm with you, chiefs. This story makes me sick as well.

I doubt that the two men will get what they deserve; at least not in this life.

I never go alone to the rural range. I always go with a friend or two. I don't recommend that anybody shoot alone in a rural.

Poor guy. The scum needs to be removed from the gene pool as soon as they are caught. As others said, never not carrying at the range. Not any more or less safe than everywhere else.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I hope this man makes a speedy and full recovery and they find the people who did this. Of all the violence in the world I just can't stomach hurting children and old people.

People think I am to careful. I park out front of the range and as I walk out before I close the door I have looked around and popped my trunk to put my bag ( guns and ammo ) away. My carry is still with me and I keep an eye on what is going on around me. I know I probably look a bit strange to anyone who pays attention but since our gun range is in a strip mall I am not going to take any chances.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Sure hope they eventually catch whoever is responsible for this. Cash is always a good way to help that effort -- no surprise how 'friendship' among thugs thins when award money gets put up.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I hope this man makes a speedy and full recovery and they find the people who did this. Of all the violence in the world I just can't stomach hurting children and old people.

People think I am to careful. I park out front of the range and as I walk out before I close the door I have looked around and popped my trunk to put my bag ( guns and ammo ) away. My carry is still with me and I keep an eye on what is going on around me. I know I probably look a bit strange to anyone who pays attention but since our gun range is in a strip mall I am not going to take any chances.
    I think what you are describing is good situational awareness. I hope the man makes a full recovery and we can all learn from this situation that our SA needs to be at the correct level.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I'm not sure what size photo's are allowed at this forum so I made these about average in size to show what this open range looks like. Like I mentioned, no locks, no supervision, just an open range for people to go out to and shoot.

Parking lot and entry to the range itself. See the red post on the left, that's where you can walk in, the bar is there only to stop vehicles from driving down there.

This shows the small trail leading down to the open range. You can see the berm in the distance.

Finally, as you come to the end of the path it all opens up. Just the two tables and the berm.

There was an elderly gentleman there this morning when I arrived. He was certainly old enough to be Mr. Payne and he had what looked to be a walker with wheels that he had his rifles strapped to. I thought it would be rude to ask him who he was so we just exchanged pleasantries and I went about my business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links