Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Happened again. This just makes me ill. Retired Veteran Shot Multiple Times At Wagoner County Shooting R - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Oklahoma Vet Shot at Public Range - Weapons stolen

Happened again. This just makes me ill.

Retired Veteran Shot Multiple Times At Wagoner County Shooting R - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

WAGONER, Oklahoma -

The Wagoner County Sheriff's Department is investigating a shooting of 73-year-old retired veteran at a gun range near Wagoner. It happened around 7:30 Thursday morning.

The victim, Kenneth Payne, was shot multiple times and taken to a Tulsa hospital. Sheriff Bob Colbert said he is expected to survive his injuries.

The Wagoner County Sheriff says it appears Payne was leaving Toppers Gun range and walking back to his truck when someone shot him multiple times in the head.

Payne was seriously wounded but managed to grab his cell phone and call his family for help. His family called 911 and alerted authorities.

Authorities say four guns were taken as well as a portable tool chest. Colbert said no money was taken during the robbery.

"We got a 73-year-old veteran that was shot, left for dead. He'd served his country and basically, somebody tried to snuff this guy out. It's terrible," Sheriff Colbert said.

Sheriff Colbert says Payne is an avid gun enthusiast and practices at the range every day. Payne retired from the Air Force and lived only a few miles away.

The Sheriff is asking the public for any information regarding vehicles or anything that might have been seen during the timeline. OSBI is also investigating the incident.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This is terrible, I hope they can find the cowards that did this and fry them.
    tkruf, Spirit51, beararms and 1 others like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Makes me sick
    and thats why I stay armed at the range... some of the idiots there scare the crap outa me to.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

no, thank goodness... this one was from november... I think someone else posted it a while back.

<<<EDIT>>> someone else was me.... here's the link... Bad: 73 YO shot, robbed, at gun range

Hope they catch these guys though... wonder how the old guy's doin?
    beararms likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Where in the hell were the other guys at the range? I cannot believe someone was not witnessing this and doing nothing other than ******* in their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    Where in the hell were the other guys at the range? I cannot believe someone was not witnessing this and doing nothing other than ******* in their pants.
    Any of the rural gun ranges in our State are nothing more than a few benches with targets set up in front of a berm. On many days you might have the range all to yourself. Or, it might be just you and one or two strangers shooting.
    These are not organized commercial type ranges.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I know of many rural ranges where club members are given a key and allowed to open the range and go to shootin' on their own. BG's can know all about those arrangements and just listen for a lone shooter.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Prayers that the veteran will recover. They need to catch the people responsible for this one, or it will happen again.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I hope they get the creeps and the old guy recovers. This is why I've always got a loaded pistola on me at the range, and I never run myself completely out of ammunition!
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

mkh
    Makes me sick to hear about things like this.

I always keep a loaded gun with me for protection in addition to what ever I'm shooting. I use the FOP range and it just has a combination lock on the gate but I never go by myself and there are always other people there too.
    NavyAirdale likes this.

The range is one place I always OC, usually my 6" Smith 686, basically a hand rifle.

VIP Member
    I always have one in reserve when on the range.

VIP Member
    From the link this happened on 24 November, does anyone have an update on how the victim is doing?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    the original article says that he was at the range every day---just wondering if he set a pattern and stuck to it--and the BGs saw, observed the pattern and then moved in to exploit it.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Any of the rural gun ranges in our State are nothing more than a few benches with targets set up in front of a berm. On many days you might have the range all to yourself. Or, it might be just you and one or two strangers shooting.
    These are not organized commercial type ranges.

Michael
    I was at this range this morning and it's pretty much as described. A desolate area with just two benches set up. When I arrived two gentlemen were getting ready to leave, we chatted for a moment and as they were leaving they reminded me to watch over my shoulder and relayed the story of this man being shot, then suggested I keep a clip loaded at all times and be ready to defend myself as these guys were never caught. I heeded their warning.

When I came back home I looked for info on this story and found this thread, hope you don't mind me updating it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links