occupy people beat man to death Eugene Oregon

This is a discussion on occupy people beat man to death Eugene Oregon within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; just heard on the news the guy the occupy people beat up on Monday died today, way to go hippies with your peaceful protest....

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: occupy people beat man to death Eugene Oregon

occupy people beat man to death Eugene Oregon

just heard on the news the guy the occupy people beat up on Monday died today, way to go hippies with your peaceful protest.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

2. Remove Ads

When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Wow.... Im sorry but what do most of them think they are doing out there??? Some of them are angry because they are mad that they got a degree in liberal arts and cant find a job related to it after college....What did you honestly expect???
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I'm not arguing for the "occupy" camp by any stretch of the imagination, but after reading the article, the title seems a bit misleading.

The fight remains under investigation, but at this point it does not appear that anyone will face criminal charges.

Kerns said detectives have interviewed “all of the people” who were involved in the dispute, which police suspect may have been a case of “mutual” combat.

Harley Youngblood said he spoke with a police detective who told him his son’s killing was a case of “justifiable homicide.”

[...]

Rick Youngblood had struggled with alcohol abuse for years, his father said.

The mission’s executive director, Jack Tripp, confirmed that Rick Youngblood had stayed at the shelter but declined to provide further details.

Police have not publicly disclosed many details about the altercation that caused Rick Youngblood’s fatal injuries, but have said alcohol use apparently motivated it.

Harley Youngblood said he had heard that his son walked into the encampment and started the fight. Another man “got an arm hold around” Rick Youngblood’s neck and choked him until he stopped breathing, his father said.

“It was a long time before they could jump start his heart, and by the time they did, it was too late,” he said.

The fight was one of five that police responded to at the campsite within a four-hour period Monday night.

The flurry of reported violence prompted the City Council on Tuesday to end its support of the Washington-Jefferson Park encampment, which had served as Occupy Eugene’s base since Nov. 5.

In a news release, Occupy Eugene members said they were “extremely saddened” to learn that Rick Youngblood had died. The group held a candlelight vigil Friday night in memory of Youngblood and “other victims of street violence.”

Rick Youngblood “was always a haunted person who had trouble in society,” his father said. He added that when sober, his son “was a wonderful, intelligent, caring person” who had traveled throughout the country on his own and at one time studied horticulture at Clackamas Community College.

VIP Member
    Ok, well I don't have much support for 'occupy' anything but based on the article, it appears a little more complicated than 'occupy people beating a man to death'...

The guy has a troubled history and obviously has some alcohol issues; and even the dead guy's father states that he believes he walked into the camp and started the fight that led to him being choked unconscious. That's a far cry from multiple occupy protesters attacking a guy and killing him, which is closer to what your title implies.

If you instigate a fight and something bad happens to you because of it, those repercussions are yours to own. It's not the other guys fault simply because he was better at self defense than you were at offense.
    mr.stuart and NYCrulesU like this.

Self defense ends when you become the aggressor.

I read the same thing. The thread title is misleading at best and I think in correct. Even the guys Dad is accepting what the police are calling it "jutifiable homicide
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Th guy had issues, came into the camp and started trouble. Didn't end well for him. Got the confrontation he was looking for. Don't start what you can't finish. Had it been "someone else" that choked (restrained) a drunken, beligerant Occupier looking for a fight and he died as a result, we wouldn't have even heard about it in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Th guy had issues, came into the camp and started trouble. Didn't end well for him. Got the confrontation he was looking for. Don't start what you can't finish. Had it been "someone else" that choked (restrained) a drunken, beligerant Occupier looking for a fight and he died as a result, we wouldn't have even heard about it in the news.
    According to the article the man that died was not an Occupier, he went into the Occupy camp and started the confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    According to the article the man that died was not an Occupier, he went into the Occupy camp and started the confrontation.
    I know. I was just making a point ;)

Got it :) Not enough coffee today

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    If you instigate a fight and something bad happens to you because of it, those repercussions are yours to own.
    Morally, I agree with you. Legally, it very much depends on who the parties are. For example, woman slugs man, then man slugs (not beats) woman in retaliation. Generally, that guy is getting an assault charge and she skates free. If you've ever wondered why women show so little hesitance to hit men, now you know. Armed defense against a black flashmob has similar problematic implications.

Links