14 Year old N.C. Teen shoots intruder

This is a discussion on 14 Year old N.C. Teen shoots intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw the following posted on the cnn website: 911 Call: Boy 14 Shoots Intruder . Evidently it was only he and his 17yo ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By socal2310
  • 2 Post By Tracer
  • 2 Post By TN_Mike

Thread: 14 Year old N.C. Teen shoots intruder

14 Year old N.C. Teen shoots intruder

I just saw the following posted on the cnn website: 911 Call: Boy 14 Shoots Intruder. Evidently it was only he and his 17yo sister home at the time. The girl is on the phone with 911 when the shot was fired.

Ryan

ETA: I was really irritated with the 911 operator. Idiot!
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

2. Remove Ads

It think the boy was the one on the phone. IMO, he made more sense than the 911 operator regarding the operator instructing him not to shoot his firearm while he was on the phone with her. The kid does not know if the BG still around the house, which is why he was ready to shoot again, if necessary. Glad that he was able to defend himself and his sister...and good shot (COM).
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I think if there's anyone who tweaks me more than the TSA, it's the incredibly !#%@$!^ 911 operators. I mean, holy cow, they have got to be the stupidest, meanest, wrong people you encounter in an emergency. They ask insane questions, give horrible advice. At best use 911 on the phone as a 'witness' or 'recorder' that you did right things. But trust your instincts, NOT theirs (except how to coordinate having the LEOs arrive).

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    I think if there's anyone who tweaks me more than the TSA, it's the incredibly !#%@$!^ 911 operators. I mean, holy cow, they have got to be the stupidest, meanest, wrong people you encounter in an emergency. They ask insane questions, give horrible advice. At best use 911 on the phone as a 'witness' or 'recorder' that you did right things. But trust your instincts, NOT theirs (except how to coordinate having the LEOs arrive).
    No kidding! "Maam, you are miles away in a nice comfortable office without someone trying to kill you. Let me know when the police have secured the exterior of the property and then I'll put down the shotgun and come outside."

boricua,

The teenage girl made the initial call to the police, the boy got on the line after shooting the intruder.

Ryan
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

The boy handled himself very well, glad the kids are safe.

Had some good upbringing, and able to make the hard decisions, when the chips are down.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thumbs up

Thank God that young man used his instincts and had the courage to act. If he had waited for permission from the 911 operator to defend his life, he may have been the one in the body bag and his poor sister would have been left at the mercy of multiple felons. At least the HB650 passed and this young man will be justified in the shooting and will also be protected from civil law suits.
    Thank you GRNC!

Tracer
    TN_Mike and JoJoGunn like this.

That 14 year old is not a boy, he is a MAN. Indeed, much more of a man than a lot of legal adult males in today's society. He did a stellar job of protecting his sister and his home and he is to be commended.

The 911 operator on the other hand should be smacked in the head. Telling him that he isn't to fire the gun while she is on the phone with him? I wish he would have simply hung up on the idiot. The police were on the way. He surely didn't need to be confused in a stressful time with moronic instructions from a fool who was in no danger of being attacked. That operator needs some remedial training.
    JoJoGunn and boricua like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wonder what the 911 Operator would do if faced with an identical situation?

I guess she would call 911 an ask if it's ok to shoot someone while she is on the phone speaking to the Operator.

This 911 Opperator needs a new occupation.

Good for the kid taking out the bad guy.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Good for him...

It definitely appears, the 14 yr old was smarter and calmer than the dispatcher was. His sister was of no help, sounds like she was in panic mode and then after he shot, she was useless.

At least he kept his cool, did what he needed to do to protect and defend themselves, and let the dispatcher know .... he wasn't following her instructions because the guy might come back.

Seems like he was the only "responsible acting adult" out of the whole bunch. I would want him standing next to me if things went bad.

I hope his grandfather, gives him a good pat on the back and buys him a car when he's 16.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    boricua,

The teenage girl made the initial call to the police, the boy got on the line after shooting the intruder.

Ryan
    I totally missed that. Thanks for clarifying.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I just listened to the call. Pity they must have cut out the bit with the gun firing because you should have been able to hear that. I certainly don't agree with the 911 operator instructing him not to fire the gun again.

There is another story I was just listening to today with a young mom who shot an intruder. In that case the mom asked if she could shoot the intruder and the 911 operator avoided answering the question directly and just told her to do whatever she needed to do.

It is amazing how most people really never think about these situations until they happen. People should already know whether or not they can shoot the intruder before it ever happens!

I can assure you if somebody were trying to break in to my home, my wife and I will both have guns in hand ready to fire... If my wife's not home, I'll give the .22 to my 9 year old daughter since she knows how to use it and tell her to go to her closet and shoot anyone who opens the closet door that isn't myself or a police officer.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Links